Light-O-Rama Forums

Attaching a smart pixel controller

saintjoe53@gmail.com

I have a Showtime central setup with 3 controller boxes.  I want to venture out into the smart pixel arena also.  I know I can daisy chain multiple controllers, but can I also add a smart pixel controller to the chain. 

Thanks

If you are talking about a smart pixel controller such as an lor cosmic color pixel controller then yes you can.

I'm also wandering into this world of pixels.  I ordered a SanDevices PS1 with an e682 board.  Their web site says it is compatible with LOR, so I assume I can daisy chain it in the same network as the four CTB16's I have.  Does that sound correct?

No you cannot connect to lor network, it has to be on E1-31 network  but you can program it with lor.

SanDevices sells an ELOR board that will interface the LOR network to the E682.  It will look like a DMX device on the LOR network and is programmed as such.

Thank you. I read about the ELOR board, but I'm also reading the Introduction to DMX and E1.31 from the LOR publication http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/IntroductionToDMXandE131.pdf

I've got more to study and more questions to ask, but it looks to me like I will run my LOR network with the USB to RS485 converter like I always have.  Then buy a router, and hook the computer's LAN port to one of its ports and the PS1 controller to another.  Does that sound right??

I've got a LOT to learn.

9 minutes ago, Joe T said:

I've got more to study and more questions to ask, but it looks to me like I will run my LOR network with the USB to RS485 converter like I always have.  Then buy a router, and hook the computer's LAN port to one of its ports and the PS1 controller to another.  Does that sound right??

Yup

It doesn't have to be a router. You can also use a network switch. Also with E1.31 you cannot daisy chain multiple controllers. Each controller will need it's own data line run to your router/switch.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2016 at 8:46 PM, Darryl Lambert said:

It doesn't have to be a router. You can also use a network switch.

If you only have a single controller (like a PS1), you don't even need a switch. You can run an Ethernet cable directly from the network interface on your computer to the pixel controller.

However, if you are using the built-in network interface instead of an add-in network card, you may want to use a network switch to protect your computer from lightning strikes and human error (like plugging the Ethernet cable into a LOR controller). Network switches can be purchased for less than $20.

Also with E1.31 you cannot daisy chain multiple controllers. Each controller will need it's own data line run to your router/switch.

The typical way of daisy chaining E1.31 devices is to include a small network switch in the same case as the controller (powered by the some power supply). You can run a single line from the computer in your house to the network switch at the first controller, and fan out from there to additional controllers.