Light-O-Rama Forums

Translucent Boxes for LED Floods

mcha

Has anyone made a translucent box for LED floods? 

I was looking at covering my controllers with a decorated 'gift' box and was thinking about using lexan or something close and a RGB LED 10w Flood inside the box and hide my controllers at the same time.  Didn't know if there would be a problem with heat build up or something else I may be missing.

It depends on size, you probably won't have a heat problem.

Enclosures are different, but a thin-walled and large gift box should be fine.

I have seen people make them out of a fabric before.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently built a small translucent box out of 1/4" white acrylic. I did not stick a flood in there, but i wrapped 4 3 pixel RGB strips on a piece of PVC, looks freaking awesome.

Here are some I made a couple of years ago from coro.  They hold up great and are very very easy to make (2 pieces of coro each).

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jerrymac said:

Here are some I made a couple of years ago from coro.  They hold up great and are very very easy to make (2 pieces of coro each).

Those are really nice.

Nice job on the boxes!  That is what I was looking for and using the pixels appears bright enough for what I was looking to do. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

And what LEDs are being used? Square modules? Nodes? Light strands? Just curious.

MCHA

Since you are in Green Bay WI you should not have to worry about heat in December.  Its a good Idea to hide your controllers and help weather proof them and I have done the same with no issues.

Jerrymac those boxes look great.

The Coro Boxes use dumb modules with a 3 channel controller in each box.  The box is VERY simple to make.  Cut 2 pieces of Coro  Longer than they are wide (size would depend on what size box you want).   on each of the rectangular pieces slit only one side of the coro across the width at 1/3 the length and at 2/3 the length. for a 24 XC 24 box make (2) 24 X 72 pieces of coro (assuming a square box). Fold the coro on the opposite that you slit half of the coro (the slit allows the coro to bend without kinking).  You should have "2" u-shaped pieces of coro then.  simply lay one on top of the other (turned 90 degrees) and hot glue all but one flap (this allow access).  you can see in the slide show the boxes after construction and open,  I use the unglued side for the bottom and use one piece of tape to hold the bottom closed. The ones in the pics above have 5 rectangular modules in each and the boxes are approx 24X24, 18 x 18 and 12 X 12). The dumb controller is inside the box with the lights so they are completely modular, only have waterproof connector sticking out for daisy chaining with the other DMX lights.

Only issue is they are VERY VERY LIGHT.  drive a piece of rebar down one side to keep them from blowing away.  VERY sturdy and CHEAP.

sorry forgot to add that the coro flutes MUST run across the width NOT top to bottom when you layout before cutting, this way the flutes will be in the correct direction for the folding.

I tried that idea a few years ago but I used plywood. After I stuck the lights inside I couldn't get the presents to light up, never did figure it out.  :wacko:

Those really look nice. I've been looking for some presents to put under my Pixel tree. In my case, whatever I do must survive water because the sprinklers hit that area from four directions. These should do well...