Light-O-Rama Forums

I made Bells

Al Saunders

I wanted to share our new props from our 2015 show. We did Snoopy and The Red Barron and in parts of that song "town" bells go off. My wife asked while watching my visualizer as I was programming it if I could make bells since I make all of our display elements. I don't know how to weld so I made them out of 1/2 PVC. I used a heat gun to soften them and borrowed a spring tool my electrician brother in law has to bend without kinks. I was looking for something to use as a template to get the curve I wanted when I noticed my hand truck. In the first picture you see it is attached to the hand truck with zip ties as I bent it around. I then flared it out, let cool, then flared down deciding on a cut point then used elbows to form the bottom and t-fittings to allow for the bell dinger/dong to be glued in place. I then painted them (4) black and used CDI's gold/yellow M6 50 count to string them. I obviously had extra so I just used black out caps. I had these in a real tree positioned as if they were ringing and tried not to be exactly straight up and down.

Please feel free to copy my idea and I hope you like them. If you want to see them in action, I have the video on our website: www.saunderschristmaslights.com

Later,

Al

Bell handtruck2.jpg

Bell strung1.jpg

Bell lit.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry for the tiny pictures. I had to keep resizing to make them small enough for all of them to be less than the MB limit.:P

4 hours ago, Al Saunders said:

Sorry for the tiny pictures. I had to keep resizing to make them small enough for all of them to be less than the MB limit.:P

Why don't you use photobucket or some other external source for posting pics? Then you don't have to worry about the stupid limit.

13 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Why don't you use photobucket or some other external source for posting pics? Then you don't have to worry about the stupid limit.

Hi Tom,

I do have Drop box but I'm no expert on it. I've only ever put files in and shared it with one person. Would I do the same but post the link here?

Thanks,

Al 

11 hours ago, Andy Anderson said:

Great looking bell.  You will have to bring it to the mini for show & tell.

Hi Andy,

Glad you like it. I am planning on bringing one to the mini and was thinking of giving one away as a door prize. :)

Later,

Al

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Al Saunders said:

I do have Drop box but I'm no expert on it. I've only ever put files in and shared it with one person.

Was that person me?

I can't find the videos on your website.

I have a plastic bell shape which was battery powered with a few LEDs in.

The LEDs broke so I removed it and inserted a piece of dumb RGB strip.

The strip was much wider, but a lot of sellotape and it was good.

It looks a mess up close but from a distance looks great, but nowhere as nice and well made as yours.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Al Saunders said:

Hi Andy,

Glad you like it. I am planning on bringing one to the mini and was thinking of giving one away as a door prize. :)

Later,

Al

Al,  That will make a great door prize.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

I can't find the videos on your website.

Hey EmmienLightFan,

Both of the videos you did are posted on the videos page of our website. They are the first two and has a paragraph explain the video editing was done by you and a link to your website. ;)

Thanks for the compliment  on the bells. I'm real happy with the way they turned out.

Later,

Al

23 minutes ago, Al Saunders said:

Hey EmmienLightFan,

Both of the videos you did are posted on the videos page of our website. They are the first two and has a paragraph explain the video editing was done by you and a link to your website. ;)

Thanks for the compliment  on the bells. I'm real happy with the way they turned out.

Later,

Al

Oh. I thought that you had a video of just the bells.

Sorry for the confusion, I was talking about the bells in the video for Snoopy and The Red Barron song. I have a few more photos of the bells in other stages of completion I will probably add to my Tech page on our website.

Later,

Al

• The topic was locked