Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR works in test mode, not in a simple sequence

Ed K

I can’t get a new CCR to respond to a simple sequence built using Sequence Editor.  It will work if I go through the Visualizer ->  SuperStar  ->  Sequence Editor route.

This is a long-winded post, but I’m hoping it reduce the number of questions that people might have to ask  (and one of DevMike’s recommendations for posts to LOR forums is to include as much info as could be useful in the original post).

With just a single CCR attached to the LOR network, and using the Hardware Utility (HU), I assigned one of the CCRs Unit ID 05, and then tested the lights with HU.  The tests all worked (well, the All On, and the  All Off tests don't actually  turn on or off all 50 CCR pixels at once, but rather sequentially – hold that thought for another post). 

I then launched a new animation sequence in Sequence Editor (SE) to quickly test the CCR.  In the SE, I first added an E1.31 device, and it worked fine with a 50-ct string of pixel nodes attached, using a very simple fade sequence.  (The E1.31 controller is attached to my show PC’s Ethernet port through a switch, and is not connected in any way to LOR’s network communicating with the CCR, which is running from a USB port through LOR’s adapter).

In Sequence Editor, I then I added a single CCR (Unit ID 05) to SE, with these steps: 

·         Right clicked on a channel shown in SE, and selected Insert Device Below

·         Selected “Cosmic Color Ribbon (or bulb)” from pull down list in Device field

·         Selected Unit ID 05, and left the default at Regular network (Note:  my network is 500K, and all works when I run my sequences first through SuperStar then to SE)

·         Clicked Ok.

When I hover the cursor over any of the expanded RGB rows for the new CCR, it displays “Unit: 05”. 

I then created a simple color fade for the CCR.  The CCR is not doing anything, while the pixels attached to the E1.31 still respond correctly.

A simple oversight on my part, I’m sure, but any suggestions to get the CCR working in Sequence Editor?    No need to suggest running everything using DMX, as that’s not the issue I’m trying to resolve.    As an aside, the CCR works if I first create the CCR fixture in Visualizer, then use the Visualizer file in SuperStar to create a sequence, then export the SS sequence to Sequence Editor.

No, but I'm not using SS for this test.  (I'll  eventually use SuperStar to develop all my sequences).

Right now, I'm just trying to run a small test in Sequence Editor of just one CCR and one E1.31 controller.  Very simple test:  

(1) Turn off Comm Listner, and launch Hardware Utility

(2) Refresh screen with just the CCR plugged into LOR adapter

(3)  Assign Unit ID 04 to the CCR, and run light tests in HU -- CCR pixels work correctly for each test

(4) Close HU, launch CommListner

(5)  Launch Sequence Editor and insert the CCR "device" (unit ID 04) in the SE window (selected: CCR, Unit ID 04, regular network)

(6) Insert a DMX device (an E1.31 controller) in the SE window

(7) Expand the CCR row in SE, and hover cursor over some of the rows of individual pixels, confirming that SE displays "Unit: 04"

(7)  Develop a few seconds of color fade on the CCR device and on the E1.31 controller

(8) Confirm that "Control Lights" and "Control Visualizer" are checked under SE's Play menu

(9) Confirm "DMX Preferences" is checked under Network Preferences

(8)  Click on play.  

The CCR pixels do not come on at any time, the pixels attached to the E1.31 controller correctly play the sequence, and Visulalizer correctly displays the sequence running on the CCR and the pixels attached to the E1.31 controller.

More info:

I inserted a second CCR to the SE (which is actually a CCR I've had for a couple of months), and added a color fade sequence for it, in addition to the the second CCR and E1.31 controller.  It works!

So, my second (of two) CCRs is not working.   I must have missed some step somewhere.  Second CCR is daisy chained off of the first CCR --  and tests under HU did work correctly.

just from what you posted, you said you made your new CCR ID 05, but you said you are testing it on channels assigned to ID 04.

56 minutes ago, saxon said:

just from what you posted, you said you made your new CCR ID 05, but you said you are testing it on channels assigned to ID 04.

Typo on my part.  CCR Unit ID 03 inserted into Sequence Editor and works.  CCR Unit ID 04 inserted into Sequence Editor, but does not work.  

1 hour ago, jerrymac said:

make sure you have the control panel open.   (this will open the listener and look for errors in the listener)

Yes, open (see Step #4, above).  Also, the second of two CCRs is working, indicating CommListener is open.

after resetting as dennis mentioned and it still doesn't work.....

after confirming the one ccr works, switch the its ID # to the new one, test it on the same sequence. 

You said it works when exported from SS, well SS does the channel set up for you in the SE so this is telling me there is an over sight on your part.

does the HU recognize both CCRs when daisy chained?

12 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Did you try to reset controller 5

Yes (thanks for suggesting it). Unplugged power to CCR controller,waited 30 seconds, held down Reset button, and plugged power back on.  The ribbon went through different colors, indicating controller and ribbon are Ok.

3 minutes ago, saxon said:

does the HU recognize both CCRs when daisy chained?

Yes, HU recognizes both CCRs in the Refresh, and all the light tests I ran in HU with both CCRs attached worked.  That's part of the mystery.

Let me swap the Unit IDs for the two CCRs, and see what happens, and get back to you  . . . . . . . . . 

Saxon, good debugging suggestion.  I swapped Unit IDs between the two CCRs.  So 04 (the one that is no working) is now 03.  And 03 (the one that is working) is now 04.  

Using the same sequence as before, the same CCR (which is now 03) still does not work, while the other CCR still works (with new ID 04).

So, the same CCR works with HU tests, but does not work in an actual sequence.  And, it's the only device not working in that test sequence:  the other CCR, and the E1.31 lights, still work.

I ran verifier before I swapped ID numbers (image attached).   I don't know why Unit ID 04 CCR (the CCR that is not working) gets the "Channel is completely off" error message on its pixel channels, but Unit ID 03 CCR does not (only for the 7 extra channels that LOR adds).

LOR Verifier Results on Two CCRs One E131.PNG

16 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Why don't you try to add device again 

Ok, did as you suggest.  I inserted as a new device in Sequence Editor only the CCR that is not working, and then created a color fading sequence.  None of the pixels on the CCR came on.

Thanks for your continued suggestions, b/c they're helping to test a bunch of conditions to narrow this down.

To summarize, this one CCR works with HU tests, but does not work in Sequence Editor.  The other CCR works in the HU, and also works in Sequence Editor.  Even after swapping Unit ID #s, resetting the CCR controller, and adding the CCR again into SE, the same CCR does not work in SE.  I still don't think CCR is bad, I think I'm missing some setting.

Lets try basics because they often get over looked......

Get your working CCR to work on your sequence, then swap out the ribbon with the other one. This way we can eliminate the physical ribbons themselves as problems.

And use white,  - no color fade

9 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Is the controller that doesn't work new? did it ever work,  I've had controllers go bad but never a new one.

I just unpacked it from its box today, so brand new and never used.  

Because it passes every HU test, and it tests itself when I hold the Reset button down while powering it, I have confidence the ribbon is not broken.  I still think there is some setting I'm missing.  Frustrating, b/c  the first CCR worked from the minute I plugged it in and assigned it a Unit ID #.  I know I'm going to look silly when I try a suggested fix, and it works.

54 minutes ago, saxon said:

Lets try basics because they often get over looked......

Saxon, another good idea, to isolate the problem.  I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know.  

The only thing I would try after confirming its not the ribbons (although it seems you did that in the above post), is chain them together, assign them BOTH the SAME ID#. Then go to your sequence and see if they both come on.

Doing this again from my phone because my @##%& internet went down again after typing a nice message on the desktop PC.

Is your LOR network set for enhanced protocol? If yes, change to non-enhanced and retest.

Check firmware versions of the two CCRs. Is the non-working CCR using an older firmware version? If yes, upgrade the firmware.

At Saxon's suggestion, I swapped CCRs:  plugged non-working CCR into controller of working CCR, and plugged working CCR into controller not working.  Now, the newest CCR works in the older controller, and the older CCR now does not work in the newest controller.  So, some issue in the newest controller.

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Doing this again from my phone because my @##%& internet went down again after typing a nice message on the desktop PC.

Is your LOR network set for enhanced protocol? If yes, change to non-enhanced and retest.

Yes, I had Enhanced LOR Network checked.  I just clicked that off in Sequence Editor, closed and relaunched SE, and now both CCRs work!  Thanks k6ccc, especially with your Internet connection issues.

I really would like to use intensity files, and Enhanced Network is required to do so.  So, now I have to figure out why one CCR works, and one does not, using Enhanced Network.  LOR's documentation states this:  "Not all controllers can be used on such a network, and some controllers may require firmware updates before they are able to be used on an enhanced network."  I'll check the firmware on each CCR, and update.

Thanks everyone, for helping me debug this issue. This is still a challenge b/c one CCR did not work and one did work using Enhanced Network.

• Like 1

At least you now know what's going on. Check firmware versions using the HU. My guess is that the one that won't work with enhanced protocol has older firmware. I also used intensity files files for several songs in 2015, and everything will use intensity files for 2016.