Light-O-Rama Forums

Realistic First Year?

Kram

I have zero experience with programming a light display.  Want input on whether the following is realistic for a first year.

• Showtime Central Starter Package w/the included 16 channel controller
  • Cosmic Color Pixel for two leaping arches

Also, if I use RGB technology, do I need additional software beyond what comes with the starter package?

Thanks for the input!!

Last year was my first year, and I went from ZERO lights in 2014 to 12 controllers.  Most everyone said I was nuts for trying.  I actually had plans for 16 controllers but did actually run out of time.  I am an insomniac and my wife goes to sleep at 7:30-8pm for work I usually got to sleep around 2am.  So i get a lot of programming done at night.  I also don't regret going big the first year, I am glad I didn't start small.... but most start with a couple and rapidly increase there display year to year.  I am adding another 12 controllers this year and about 50k in lights.  I am actually finding it more difficult to adding props to the existing sequencing rather then I did starting from scratch.

I only use traditional lights and not RGB or pixels. just not a big fan of it. So to really answer your question, it really depends on how much time you can dedicate to it.  How much time you can use to build props. 

2016 Will be my first year also, Starting with 32 channels and debating on adding another 16.  We will be going with conventional lights at the moment.  Wish you and me both luck!  Whatta learning experience!

8 hours ago, Kram said:

I have zero experience with programming a light display.  Want input on whether the following is realistic for a first year.

Also, if I use RGB technology, do I need additional software beyond what comes with the starter package?

Thanks for the input!!

You can do it. You have plenty of time. I suggest you read the forums often and watch plenty of videos. Look at the side by side comparison to see if your license level will cover how many controllers you plan on using. Basic I think only covers 2 controllers maybe. I would, at the minimum, get an advanced license level. In advance there is no limit on how many controllers you can use. Good luck to all of you just starting out.

3 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

You can do it. You have plenty of time. I suggest you read the forums often and watch plenty of videos. Look at the side by side comparison to see if your license level will cover how many controllers you plan on using. Basic I think only covers 2 controllers maybe. I would, at the minimum, get an advanced license level. In advance there is no limit on how many controllers you can use. Good luck to all of you just starting out.

Along with unlimited controllers there are additional tools to help you sequence like the beat wizard.  This tool will help you out quite a bit with learning how to sequence and keeping your timings on beat.

Hi Kram,

Welcome to the addiction! :D

In addition to the recommendations above as far as license levels I highly recommend Superstar add on. It takes a little bit of learning but would be a great tool for leaping arches using CCP's! I use it for two CCR's I have on one of my roofs. I have one going straight and another over it in an arch. In Superstar you not only have control over each pixel to do solid colors in sections or in whole (scenes) you also have chases that are called (morphs) in Superstar. They make it very easy to do "leaps" of any color. Superstar does a lot more than just this but for ease of programming I really like Superstar. Since you are doing 2 arches you probably just need the minimum Superstar level.

Good luck, you can do it!

Later,

Al

I went from 0 to nearly 1000 channels, but it was mainly RGB.

I had 240V indoor lights, on a CTB16PC controller, dumb RGB, which is easy, DC lights (Most lights here in the UK are low voltage) and hundreds of pixels.

I wish I had gone bigger in 2015.

I planned for a really small display at the beginning of the year (16 channels), but it was the time when pixels were becoming popular, and I saw all the amazing videos on here, and started adding stuff.

I was adding new props and sequencing them as I thought of them, which was not a good idea. It made some sequencing look disjointed. Come up with a plan and stick to it, but don't make it too easy or you will have nothing to do for half the year.

Don't worry about the number of channels but more so the amount of props you have.  A singing face will require much more time and effort over 8 mini trees. Keep the show to a handful of songs and let them loop, it is easier to add a song or three at the end, if there is time. Better to have a show that you are proud of that last 20 mins over something that doesn't look right and last 1 hour.

Best of luck

On 2/23/2016 at 9:26 PM, Kram said:

Thanks for the input!!

I think the software you will need for RGB depends on if you want to use the Pixel Editor to do some of the programming for your RGB strips. If so I believe you need the pro level of software. (Just found this out recently myself.)

Like you this is my first year doing a fully programmed light display, and I think a "realistic" year is all a matter of personal opinion (and budget.) I started out only wanting to do one 16 channel controller for my traditional LED lights, and through a series of trials, and putting things into the visualizer, I have ended up with 3 controllers, 24 cosmic ribbons, and a spiral mega tree.

Something to thing about (If you haven't thought about it already) is doing a Halloween show. It will give you a chance to test your lights, and some props before the Christmas show starts! :) Good luck! 
~Matt

• 1 month later...

If you're doing 2 Leaping arches and a regular 16-channel controller, I think this is a fair and realistic start for a beginner. Mind you, 2016 will be round 3 for me. I started with 2 16-channel controllers running 32 strands of rope light. (BAD IDEA) From there, in 2015 we switched to RGB, which was a big improvement in our show. (1/3 the amount of lights to install, plus the ribbon looked so much more clean as it appeared in a more straight and controlled line, unlike the rope light.) LED all the way too, by the way. Incandescents do not light up as bright nor do they look as nice. (This is my opinion) Always have a back-up plan or buy extra of everything in case ANYTHING goes wrong. (e.g. water leaking in and damaging your lights partially - which happened to the RGBs.... we'll have to replace those in the next season) Also, start building props early. The earlier of a start you can get on construction, the easier it will be for installation (measure twice, cut once).

My 2016 season is going to get freaky. 3 RGB controllers. (2 if we're lucky... so only buying 1 new one.) 1 16-channel controller to control non-RGB elements. And 1 16-channel controller that will control 1 massive frigging prop that I'm yet to design properly.

Our biggest expenses will be new RGBs, the controller and any building materials we need for a new prop. Be prepared to be putting more and more money into your budget potentially.

Please explore other threads for info on first-year programmers too! We'll gladly answer questions to help guide you along the way.

(Do you have your songs programmed already?)

LN.

16 Channels and a CCP. Should have plenty of time to get a show up and running.

A few points I'd like to make from some suggestions above. 

• If you plan on expanding in future and your pocket book will allow, get the advanced license. I recommend this anyway because of the unlimited controllers and future expansion.
  • For just a couple of arches, Superstar is not really needed. Most of your effects are simple chases anyway. Don't get me wrong, I suggest getting Superstar eventually, but it's a bit of overkill for a couple of arches. You can sequence your regular lights with it too. Also, with your starter kit you get the Superstar Demo and can do everything with it you need to, except export the sequence out to run your lights. You'll need a license for that. Neat thing is, your sequences can be done when you decide to purchase a license. Superstar works with total amount of channels, ie., 2 CCR license covers 300 total channels, 4 CCR 600, etc.
  • Learn about SPT wire and vampire plugs. You'll save some storage space and $$ on extension cords. Plus, with SPT, you can make custom length ext. cords. Buy extra wire!!! If you think you'll need 250 feet, by 1000. LOR sells it on their online store: http://store.lightorama.com/sptwire.html
  • Click on "Home Page" at the top of this page, select "Support" and then "Video Tutorials". This will give you a basic intro into how to use the software. It's almost a must for a beginner.

Above all, have fun with your new found addic.....I mean, Hobby. There are a ton of folks on this forum that are more than willing to help. 

Happy Lighting,

Ron