Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting Pixel Number

jimswinder

Trying to assign ID's to my arches in the Visualizer...

Why is the highest number I see in the "Starting Pixel Number" drop down window only 170?

My Arches have 40 Pixels, so Arch #3 is Universe 1 with a starting Pixel Number of 241...

What am I missing??

It is what you said originally - PIXEL

You are selecting the starting pixel, NOT the starting channel.  If you are seeing an option to enter the starting channel number, please tell us whr you are seeing that?  When I add a DMX string, the only option is starting pixel number.

sheesh...where's the "Delete This Thread" button!!!!

I thought you guys were able to understand what I MEANT as opposed to what I WRITE!!  LOL

So, lets start over. I thought in Version 3.XX you were able to tell what Universe # and Channel ID you wanted your particular Fixture or Prop to start at?

In my case I have 4 arches, each with 40 pixels and all on Universe 1. So Arch 1 would be Universe 1, Starting Channel ID 1 and going to Chanel ID 120, Arch 2: Universe 1 Channel ID's 121 - 240, Arch 3: Universe 1 Channel ID's 241 - 360, Arch 4: Universe 1 Channel ID's 361 - 481.

Now when I use the Channel Wizard (Under Props) all I see is DMX Pixels, Universe # and Starting Pixel Number. Where do you tell it what Channel ID to start at?

Or when I do Arch 2, do I pick Universe 1 and Starting Pixel 41??

Same thing under Fixtures, all I see is a place for Starting Pixel...where before I thought you could tell it Starting Channel.

Sorry for the confusion...but I am a confused and confusing individual...but you all knew that, right??  :wacko:

Edited by jimswinder

18 minutes ago, jimswinder said:

Or when I do Arch 2, do I pick Universe 1 and Starting Pixel 41??

Sorry for the confusion...but I am a confused and confusing individual...but you all knew that, right??  :wacko:

yup,

and yup

ok..new problem, sorta the same thing..I think...lol

tried assigned channel id's to my 15 ribbon Ribbon Tree

getting this error message after using channel Wizard in Visualizer and trying to start the simulation:

There are one or more errors with your simulation that prevent it from running.  Please correct these errors and try again.
The DMX Pixel Universe on Universe 2, when assembled has more than 170 pixels (200).  The following fixtures should be checked:
--Ribbon Tree - DMX Pixels 01
--Ribbon Tree - DMX Pixels 02
--Ribbon Tree - DMX Pixels 03
--Ribbon Tree - DMX Pixels 04

Child Pixel fixture Ribbon Tree - DMX Pixels 05 does not have a main Pixel Fixture (a Pixel Universe Fixture with physical pixel 1).  A Pixel Universe Fixture when assembled requires a fixture with pixel #1
Child Pixel fixture Ribbon Tree - DMX Pixels 08 does not have a main Pixel Fixture (a Pixel Universe Fixture with physical pixel 1).  A Pixel Universe Fixture when assembled requires a fixture with pixel #1
Child Pixel fixture Ribbon Tree - DMX Pixels 12 does not have a main Pixel Fixture (a Pixel Universe Fixture with physical pixel 1).  A Pixel Universe Fixture when assembled requires a fixture with pixel #1
Child Pixel fixture Ribbon Tree - DMX Pixels 15 does not have a main Pixel Fixture (a Pixel Universe Fixture with physical pixel 1).  A Pixel Universe Fixture when assembled requires a fixture with pixel #1

to me it's saying that a Universe, in this case it is Universe 3 for Ribbon Tree Fixture 5, does not have a starting Pixel with #1 assigned to it.

Well...does it not go to the next Universe automatically when it reaches Pixel 170?  I have 15 Ribbons, 50 pixels each. Starting Universe is 2 for Ribbon 1, so Universe 3 Pixel 1 starts in Ribbon 4..but Ribbon 4 starts with Universe 2 Pixel # 151...so shouldn't it be automatically starting (assigning) Universe 3 Pixel #1 to the physical Pixel 21 in Ribbon 4 (which would be pixel 171 of Universe 2, so really pixel 1 of Universe 3).

Maybe my math is off but I thought my Ribbon tree should have these channel Assignments, starting at Universe 2 Pixel 1:

Pixel     Universe     Start Channel     End Channel

Ribbon Tree 1     1      2     1     150

Ribbon Tree 2     51     2     151     300

Ribbon Tree 3     101     2     301     450

Ribbon Tree 4     151     2     451     512

Ribbon Tree 5     31     3     62     212

Ribbon Tree 6     81     3     213     363

Ribbon Tree 7     131     3     364     512

Ribbon Tree 8     11     4     31     180

Ribbon Tree 9     61     4     181     330

Ribbon Tree 10     111     4     331     480

Ribbon Tree 11     161     4     482     512

Ribbon Tree 12     41     5     121     270

Ribbon Tree 13     91     5     271     420

Ribbon Tree 14     141     5     421     512

Ribbon Tree 15     21     6     61     210

Edited by jimswinder

The problem is that the visualizer does not like having a single fixture cross universes.  The solution (for pixel packers like you and me) is to create two fixtures for the strings that will cross universes.  So for example, for your ribbon 4 create two fixtures:

Ribbon 4a = Universe 2, pixel 151 to pixel 170

Ribbon 4b = Universe 3, pixel 1 to 30

It's a little more of a hassle to draw it, but that makes it work. 

Wouldnt think a simple ribbon tree would be a "pixel packer", especially since Superstar is part of the LOR family...

5 minutes ago, jimswinder said:

Wouldnt think a simple ribbon tree would be a "pixel packer", especially since Superstar is part of the LOR family...

If every ribbon were a separate universe, it's not pixel packing.  If a universe spans multiple ribbons, it's packing.  At least that's the definition as I understand it.

The E682 (which I recall you are using - as am I) sort of forces packing.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

If every ribbon were a separate universe, it's not pixel packing.  If a universe spans multiple ribbons, it's packing.  At least that's the definition as I understand it.

Per LOR site: This mode is called 'Pack Tightly' or 'Packed Pixels'.  In the typical configuration, each port on the PixCon16 will have 50 pixels, and the starting channel for the board would be 1.  That would mean that port 1 consumes 150 channels from 1-150, port 2 would be 151-300, port 3 would be 301-450, all on the same starting universe.  At port 4, the PixCon16 will continue to assign FULL pixels until it runs out of channels.  In this case it will assign 20 pixels (Channels 451-510).  While there are 2 channels left (511 and 512), that is not enough for a FULL pixel.  The PixCon16 will then assume that the next pixel will start with channel 1 on the NEXT universe.  It will assign 30 more pixels (since there are 50 on a string), and end with channel 90 on that next universe.  Addressing like this will continue for the entire board if desired.  If you wish to use a different scheme, please use the advanced mode.

Basically filling up the entire universe, and any remaining pixels over flowing to the next universe. 

*sigh*...why not just give us the option to assign however we want...oplusr is that under the advance option... I use a SanDevice

Edited by jimswinder

A little more explanation.

Tightly Packed: All 170 pixels are used in each Universe.  After all pixels in the first string are assigned, the first pixel of the second ribbon/string will use the next available DMX channel.  When all the available channels of a Universe are used then the addressing moves to channel 1 of the next Universe.  This is done until all pixels of all ribbons/strings are defined.
Semi-Packed: As many full strings as possible are put into each Universe.  For example, if each string has 50 pixels, then 3 strings will fit into the 170 pixels available in one Universe.  So the first 3 strings will use the first Universe; strings 4, 5, and 6 will use the Universe after that.  With Semi-Packed, a transition to another Universe will never happen in the middle of a string.
Not Packed: Each string has its own universe.  This means that each string will start with pixel one of a Universe.

28 minutes ago, jimswinder said:

*sigh*...why not just give us the option to assign however we want...oplusr is that under the advance option... I use a SanDevice

Don't blame us for the decisions other manufacturers made for their equipment.  LOR Software works great with LOR hardware ;)

25 minutes ago, DevMike said:

Don't blame us for the decisions other manufacturers made for their equipment.  LOR Software works great with LOR hardware ;)

Lousy answer mike, its got nothing to do with another product other than LOR...because of this attitude people are going away from LOR..worked last year with S3...

This is why Sony and Beta never lasted. Superior product over VHS, but thought they could make everything propitiery

Edited by jimswinder

8 minutes ago, jimswinder said:

Lousy answer mike, its because of this attitude people are going away from LOR..worked last year with S3...

Ok, so here is the real answer:

We needed to make it generic as possible that it supported our hardware as well as most of the other hardware out there.  We've been telling people that Pixel Packing is evil for some time now.  

If your hardware requires it, then you'll have to also bite the bullet and create 2 fixtures, 1 that ends on 170 and 1 that starts on 1 for your string.  That is why the Visualizer does it the way it does so it you can get it to work.  Otherwise, we would have created a 'PixCon16' fixture and then none of those other controllers would have worked in VI.

FYI -- it did NOT work that way with S3, at least in the Visualizer.  That's because there was no Pixel Universe fixture in the S3 Visualizer.  It was new with S4 ;).

17 minutes ago, jimswinder said:

Lousy answer mike, its got nothing to do with another product other than LOR...because of this attitude people are going away from LOR..worked last year with S3...

This is why Sony and Beta never lasted. Superior product over VHS, but thought they could make everything propitiery

Wow, another person I need to add to the 'Don't Joke Around With' list.  Sorry, I was just trying to lighten things up.

... and again, it didn't work in S3 because it didn't exist in S3 ;)