Light-O-Rama Forums

Finished First Song WOOT WOOT!!

bdwillie

It's simple, but it's done!  LOL!!  I had some timing issues using beat wizard, seems sometimes it puts the beat line just a little off but I figured out how to grab and move the lines. Can't wait till November to see it work!.  Must confess I put the two controllers on a table and plugged 32 strings of new 50% off lights into them and let it rip.  Discovered that the visualizer is a little different than watching actual lights.  Think I am going to leave the controllers on the table hooked up like this.  it seems to make it easier to sequence being able to see them (at least for me).  Luckily we don't use the office for much LOL!  I can imagine all you seasoned veterans out there grinning and saying "this boy's got it bad" :lol:

On to the next one!

I have an idea for you to use, compliments of Mr. John Storms. It's easy to build, its portable, and not much material.

Items needed for build: VAMPIRE PLUGS, SPT1 WIRE,C-9 SOCKETS, C-9 LED BULBS, and a block of wood.IMG_20160220_061800423.thumb.jpg.50cc294

3 hours ago, bdwillie said:

It's simple, but it's done!  LOL!!  I had some timing issues using beat wizard, seems sometimes it puts the beat line just a little off but I figured out how to grab and move the lines. Can't wait till November to see it work!.  Must confess I put the two controllers on a table and plugged 32 strings of new 50% off lights into them and let it rip.  Discovered that the visualizer is a little different than watching actual lights.  Think I am going to leave the controllers on the table hooked up like this.  it seems to make it easier to sequence being able to see them (at least for me).  Luckily we don't use the office for much LOL!  I can imagine all you seasoned veterans out there grinning and saying "this boy's got it bad" :lol:

On to the next one!

Sounds like this addiction has got you targeted for sure. So here's a suggestion - trust the visualizer. Get it down now - while you're at 32 strands. If you continue to only trust what you see when actual lights are plugged in - you are gonna need a lot bigger office in the near future....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sonoma said:

sorry pic got lost

IMG_20160220_061800423.jpg.c36a0ad14202f

You and John have built some great controller testers.

However, my friend Santas Helper has trained me to only see and work with RWB-G, not RGB-W.

(Your city, state &/or country is not listed on your profile that I could find - so if you are not an American - I mean no disrespect to you..)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bdwillie said:

I had some timing issues using beat wizard, seems sometimes it puts the beat line just a little off but I figured out how to grab and move the lines.

I don't use beat wizard for that reason. I set my timing as a fixed grid at a tenth of a sec. That works well for most songs. As time goes by, you'll learn why. :D

53 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

However, my friend Santas Helper has trained me to only see and work with RWB-G, not RGB-W.

I'm not a pixel expert by any means, stilla newb at best, but I have already incountered RGB strips that aren't in that order..some of mine are BRG and some are GBR in fact, I don't even have any that are RGB!!!! so order isn't really set in stone...it's just how you want to see/program it.

3 hours ago, sonoma said:

sorry pic got lost

IMG_20160220_061800423.jpg.c36a0ad14202f

Neat Idea!!!

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

Sounds like this addiction has got you targeted for sure. So here's a suggestion - trust the visualizer. Get it down now - while you're at 32 strands. If you continue to only trust what you see when actual lights are plugged in - you are gonna need a lot bigger office in the near future....

LOL!  Wife pointed that out already with a "and you want a third controller??"

3 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

What difference do you see between the visualiser and the actual lights connected to a controller?

The big thing seems to be timing of the lights.  It seems that the visualizer tends to lag a bit where the actual lights don't.  I actually have chalked it up to a really poor video section on this old cheap laptop more than an actual problem with the visualizer program.  Gonna move my files over to the desk top in the next day or so and see if that helps

16 minutes ago, bdwillie said:

The big thing seems to be timing of the lights.  It seems that the visualizer tends to lag a bit where the actual lights don't.  I actually have chalked it up to a really poor video section on this old cheap laptop more than an actual problem with the visualizer program.  Gonna move my files over to the desk top in the next day or so and see if that helps

I have seen exactly the same thing.  I'm going to be either replacing this computer or at least putting a better video card into it shortly.

Is your FPS low?

Mine is around 80-90 on my PC, and 60-80 on my Surface.

It plays smoothly but probably is slightly behind the lights because I now have so many pixels. :P

On 2/20/2016 at 8:37 AM, Mega Arch said:

You and John have built some great controller testers.

(Your city, state &/or country is not listed on your profile that I could find - so if you are not an American - I mean no disrespect to you..)

I am an "AMERICAN" and proud of it. I didn't even think about it when I put the bulbs in. Thank you for pointing it out. I will correct it immediately.:o

• Like 1

ahh, I feel dumb now...Red  White Blue...Green...DUH! too funny, now I'm on the same page guys..Alittle slow here.

The worst part is, in most of my songs, I do a RWB wave.

• Like 1

It was easy for me to catch on. While helping Tom (Santas Helper) in person to raise his 33ft mega tower a few years back, I definitely heard RWB-g from him many times. He served our country for many years. He's got the "I'm still proud of America" attitude and it's contagious.

My youngest is serving our country in the Army currently, so it just made perfect sense to me that I adopted the same RWB-g mentality as I grew in this hobby.

• Like 1

I started LOR 4 years ago and learned RGB and then RGBW. Reading this link I was a little slow on the RWB-g also but now I have to retrain myself, RWB-g Forever. God Bless America

• 2 weeks later...

Built some controller testers like the above pictured!  Whoop hoo! Works pretty good!   Yes the third one has 18 lights instead of 16.   Holds two spare bulbs lol!   Works better than all those strings of lights on the table!  Hope it isn't too blurry

image.jpeg

I don't fault you for hooking up real lights in March to test, because lets be honest... it's awesome, but like someone else said, the visualizer is there for a reason, and you should trust it.

Enjoy!

19 minutes ago, robigd said:

I don't fault you for hooking up real lights in March to test, because lets be honest... it's awesome, but like someone else said, the visualizer is there for a reason, and you should trust it.

Enjoy!

Yes Sir!  Working on that.  It actually works very well with the desktop, instead of lagging and jumping with the laptop,  So I am slowly building the visualizer dodads (props) and learning to trust it.  Just a few more to go and the visualizer yard will be finished. 

It is cool to see the blinkie lights going,  is making the wife oooohh and aaaahhh, so will turn them on from time to time to show her progress!

You guys are awesome and this big ole' newbie is grateful!

Bobby

• Like 1