Light-O-Rama Forums

What Determines SuperStar Row Order of Visualizer Fixtures

Ed K

I created a very simple set of four, 50 RGB pixel string fixtures in Visualizer only to understand how SuperStar display each fixture when I import the Visualizer file.

First, using the pixel string function in Visualizer, I created four sets of 50-string RGB fixtures, one each for my four eaves/rooflines.  From left to right, lets call these strings (fixtures) 1, 2, 3, and 4.   I don't think this matters in what I am asking about, but in Visualizer, I assigned these fixtures the following universes/pixels: Univ 1: 1-50, Univ 1: 51 - 100, Univ 2: 1 - 50, and Univ 2:  51 - 100.   None of these four fixtures overlap.

In SuperStar, I import this Visualizer file.  The fixtures in the bottom half of SuperStar are displayed in the correct order:  1, 2, 3, and 4.  However, in the top half where the rows are displayed for each fixture, the rows are in this order (top to bottom); 4, 2, 1, 3.

Why is that, and how do I change the rows so that they are in sequential order?  Heck, I'd take descending order (4, 3, 2, and 1).

Since this is a superstar issue I will answer it.

Superstar tries to arrange things in logical rows, but it fails to do so sometimes. If all of the RGB fixtures are in a prop it usually things the fixtures are a matrix and it stacks them in the sequencing grid. To fix this you can click on the Prop that contains the fixtures and click on the "Superstar" button and at the bottom is a setting that lets you say it is not a matrix.

Another issue is that the max length of the sequencing grid defaults to 50 pixels, so if you have 4 strings of pixels that you want in one line you will need to import the visualization again, and when the "Import Visualization" dialog box appears, set the sequencing grid "max length" to 200.

If it still does not export the way you want, email the visualization to brian@superstarlights.com and I will take a look at it. The visualization file will end with .lee and will be at

c:/ (your lightorama folder) / Visualizations / Editor

Thanks for responding, Brian.  Since I first posted, I also I saw your other post about this same issue.

I’m running Pro v4.2.12.  I have just four props for this test.  Each prop is a 50-pixel string.  I drew each prop in Visualizer in a horizontal line (you, like my house).

I tried your solution, but get same results, so I am probably missing the obvious.  I indicated "No" SuperStar matrix for each prop.   The four props show up in SS visualization in correct order (left to right, call these props 1, 2, 3, and 4).  However, the sequencing grid rows are in this order (top to bottom): 4, 3, 2, and 1.  And that only happened when I selected max grid lines of 1.  If I select 5 max grid lines, the sequencing rows are in this order:  4, 2, 1, and 3.   Also, pixels are in reverse order in the sequencing grid for two of the four props.  

Background and results:

What I did:

1.  I opened my Visualizer file, and for each of the four Props (50 RGB pixel strings, one for each eave/roofline), I opened each prop, clicked on the SuperStar button, selected “No” in the “This is a SuperStar Matrix” drop-down list, clicked OK, and clicked Ok.  I did this for each of the four props.

2.  I saved the file with a new name, and then imported into SS, with maximum detection lines set to 6 (for future props). 

Results:

I get the same odd ordering of the four sequencing rows for my four props (top to bottom):  4, 2, 1, and 3.  Again, the actual props shown in the bottom area of SS are in the correct order (1, 2, 3, and 4).

I also noticed one other anomaly in the sequencing grid (again, four rows of 50 boxes).  For two of the props, the sequencing box order is the same as my pixel order:  1 – 50 (left to right in the sequencing row).  However, for the other two props, the order is 50 – 1 (left to right).

More steps I took:

1.  I made one more change:  In Visualizer, I also checked “Use My Order rather than SuperStar’s” in the SuperStar parameters area for each of the four props. 

2.  I saved as a new Visualizer file, and then imported into SuperStar. 

Results:

I get the same result:  4, 2, 1, and 3 ordering of sequencing rows (top to bottom).  And, I get the same reverse ordering for two of the four 50-pixel props.

A final step:

1.  I made one change to SS:  Imported with max lines set at 1. 

Results:

The ordering of sequencing rows is now 4, 3, 2, and 1, but the props still show in bottom area in the correct order:  1, 2, 3, and 4.  The sequencing grid still has the same reverse ordering of boxes for the same two of four props.