Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D DMX Mode`

EmmienLightFan

This year I am using FPP to run my show.

I was watching this video

Which I just found watching other videos

In the video he uses an ordinary cat5 cable between his bridge and CMB24D. I will be using an LOR dongle connected to the Pi. 

Does this mean that the CMB24D takes in DMX over the normal orange and orange/white wires?

The jumpers swap the pins the data is expected on.  On the LOR side, data needs to come into the board on 4 & 5.  On the DMX side, data needs to come into the board on 1 & 2.  The protocol in use doesn't have any effect, it's where the data is on the wires.

Figure out what pins your data is coming out of the previous board/adapter/whatever, and then set the jumpers accordingly,  We probably should have called the jumpers LOR and ESTA rather than LOR and DMX.  They would make more sense then.

It is the only device on the network, coming directly off the LOR dongle.

Do I not need to touch the jumpers then?

BTW, I like the new forums.

Does the board automatically detect if it is receiving LOR or DMX?

I am about to connect by CTB16PC to the LOR dongle and test, and afterwards I will connect the CMB24D.

The LOR card detect LOR vs DMX data without doing anything to them.  Send them either one, and they know what to do with the data.

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

The LOR card detect LOR vs DMX data without doing anything to them.  Send them either one, and they know what to do with the data.

Thanks.

I didn't manage to get it working.

I would rather use my LOR dongles than buy a DMX bridge.

Neither controller would go solid. The Pi detected the adapters and they were connected with ordinary cat5.

Just for what it's worth, I just tested my CMB24D in DMX using a LOR high speed USB adapter.  I did not have any convenient lights to hook up, so I just hooked up a voltmeter to channel 1.  First I tested it using the LOR Hardware utility.  I had the switches set for LOR unit ID #1.  The HU found the unit as unit #1, and using the HU, I was able control channel 1 as measured by the voltmeter.

Next I configured the Network Preferences so that Universe 1 was using the LOR adapter.  I wrote a 10 second animation sequence that cycled DMX universe 1, channel 1 several times.  I started the LOR control panel, and the blinking light went solid on the CMB24D.  I then played the 10 second test sequence, and observed that the voltmeter correctly showed the channel changing.

15 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Just for what it's worth, I just tested my CMB24D in DMX using a LOR high speed USB adapter.  I did not have any convenient lights to hook up, so I just hooked up a voltmeter to channel 1.  First I tested it using the LOR Hardware utility.  I had the switches set for LOR unit ID #1.  The HU found the unit as unit #1, and using the HU, I was able control channel 1 as measured by the voltmeter.

Next I configured the Network Preferences so that Universe 1 was using the LOR adapter.  I wrote a 10 second animation sequence that cycled DMX universe 1, channel 1 several times.  I started the LOR control panel, and the blinking light went solid on the CMB24D.  I then played the 10 second test sequence, and observed that the voltmeter correctly showed the channel changing.

The problem was probably Falcon Pi Player.

It works fine in LOR. I just tested it.

• The topic was locked