Light-O-Rama Forums

Unable to open device file

drivemewilder

I downloaded LOR to a new (to me) laptop and transferred over all my sequences this weekend.  Everything plays nice together...the sequences play and I plugged in a used CCP and watched it dance on my living room floor.  BUT, when I tried to test out a new CCP (purchased from another member, only 1 year old) I get that prompt in the HU telling me "unable to open Devices File: C:\Program Files\LOR\LOR_DeviceFile.txt."  What's wrong and what should I do?

I was doing a search for my problem when I found this post.  After commenting I realized that this post was in the S2 forum.  I am running S3 4.1.

Edited by drivemewilder

No problem.  I've split your post off and put it in the S3 forum.

To answer your question, that sounds like the software did not install correctly.  Do a registry wipe and complete re-install and that should fix it.  If you need the instructions, open a help desk ticket and we'll send you links/etc.

Got your instructions!  Sounds easy enough and i'll give it a go once I get home this afternoon.  Thank you.  I do have a question regarding the windows registry.  I've never done this, never heard of it actually.  The laptop I'm using was wiped clean before given to me.  There isn't a thing on this computer except for LOR, the sequences, and the music.  Not knowing a thing about computers or the windows registry being saved, is that a necessary step?

Probably not.

To tell you the truth that is just some CYA for us.  The registry really is the heart of Windows so we like to have a backup of it before we delete stuff JUST IN CASE.  However we have never had a problem with the registry wipe program ever causing damage to any other part of the registry.  

With Windows ANYTHING is possible, so backups are always good.  Me personally?  I run the LOR Registry wipe quite frequently and have never bothered with a backup.