Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about sealed led's

Roxxxtar

I bought a ton of these last year. Pricey but I'm satisfied.

Question. I have one strand that is missing the lens on two of the lights. They are literally broken off. The strand still works though.

Could these two bulbs that are missing their lens be responsible for a gfci trip when it rains?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is possible, it may or may not be the culrprits causing GFCI trips, but again, possible.   Those covers do help to keep water from getting down into the socket, since most strands, especially LED's have gaps around the LED in the socket, the lens or cover helps prevent that.

If you have spare or old burned out LED's with a lens or cover that will fit the strand missing them, you can use those to replace missing ones.  However, if this is a sealed strand missing them that got broken, that's a different matter altogether.  Not as easy to just replace one of those on a sealed strand.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a couple of sealed lens covers break as well.  So I just used liquid tape and filled them in .  You will lose those particular lights on the string, but it is better than losing the entire string.