Light-O-Rama Forums

Stupid Question time

caniac

unlike most of you more sophisticated non-bacon types, I still use the animation window most of the time instead of visualizer (old habits are hard to break).  How challenging is it to add RGB stuff too and are there any gotcha's?  Adding RGB components this year.

unlike most of you more sophisticated non-bacon types, I still use the animation window most of the time instead of visualizer (old habits are hard to break).  How challenging is it to add RGB stuff too and are there any gotcha's?  Adding RGB components this year.

Until last year, I too, was like you. I made the move to the visualizer, and it's so much better. Rather than fumble around trying to get pixels into the animations (if you can), try the visualizer... you won't regret it.

Mike

Until last year, I too, was like you. I made the move to the visualizer, and it's so much better. Rather than fumble around trying to get pixels into the animations (if you can), try the visualizer... you won't regret it.

Mike

I have but it's still a challenge plus I tend to go with "non-traditional" props (Godzilla, giant spiders with webs, UFO, Black Pearl).

one pixel per rgb channel?

Yep.

I tried this once for a 144 pixel matrix. It took hours. Open up the visualiser and it is done in seconds.

In the visualiser, you "draw" strings, by clicking on a point and then another, and it joins them together. You can create any shape you want.

FYI....

Animator has NOT been supported since the first S3 release (which if I remember correctly was like 5 years ago).  

The Animator will never be updated.  It is not RGB aware.  It is not pixel friendly.  In some future version, the Animator may be removed completely.

If you have not yet done so, it is time to learn the Visualizer and move to it.  

The Animator will never be updated.  It is not RGB aware.  It is not pixel friendly.  In some future version, the Animator may be removed completely.

It does support dumb RGB.

I am probably reading your message wrong.

I understand Dev Mike's fondness for the Visualizer given that he developed it.  But that's no reason to give people totally wrong information.  The Animation is indeed RGB aware - at least my version(s) of it is.  It also handles pixels just fine.  Again, at least my version does.

IMO the Animation doesn't NEED to be updated.  It was developed to near-perfection before the Visualizer existed.  Yes, with the Vis it's infinitely easier to manipulate/move props than the Animation.  It is also far more challenging and difficult to set up correctly, and unlike the Animation, it won't work AT ALL until you've done a perfect job.  I hope LOR thinks long and hard before taking away a tool that works so well.

I understand Dev Mike's fondness for the Visualizer given that he developed it.  But that's no reason to give people totally wrong information.  The Animation is indeed RGB aware - at least my version(s) of it is.  It also handles pixels just fine.  Again, at least my version does.

IMO the Animation doesn't NEED to be updated.  It was developed to near-perfection before the Visualizer existed.  Yes, with the Vis it's infinitely easier to manipulate/move props than the Animation.  It is also far more challenging and difficult to set up correctly, and unlike the Animation, it won't work AT ALL until you've done a perfect job.  I hope LOR thinks long and hard before taking away a tool that works so well.

I don't think that LOR should remove it either, but I don't think that it should be updated.

The visualizer is complicated at first but for pixels it is so much easier.

The Animation Window works for dumb RGB, but making hundreds of dots for pixels takes hours and is not worth it.

I would hate to see it the animator go away as well. I use it for all my sequences.

Tried Visualizer and went nuts trying to get it to work.

My display is very simple and i thought it would be easy to make the jump over... o'well.

Edited by gsmith37064