Light-O-Rama Forums

pixcon 16 - where to begin?

Newb

The only reason why I selected the 1804 option on the SanDevices E681 was it didn't directly support the WS2811. 

I don't have a SanDevices E682 which does directly support the 2811.

Not sure what is going on... Still have to upgrade to PRO to try the Pixels with LOR (besides the self test).  IF all works well, I will buy a few more of the PixCons, otherwise I will get the new E682 boards from SanDevices. 

Why don't you use E1.31? You don't need Pro for that.

Because I want to continue to use my G3MP3 to control the show.  Once that craps out I'll most likely switch over to a PC.

But - let me start playing with E1.31 with the Pixcon and see how it works!  Thanks!

Do you have the string connected the right way round?

TM1804 is a clone, but has slight variations.

Have you set the output to the correct universe on the Pixcon 16

Have you set up the network preferences?

Yes, verified the string connection.

The universe, I think so. I have port one on universe one. This is the port I am trying out. The pixcon ip set to 192.168.1.150

The network preferences are set for Dmx universe 1 multicast e1.31 ip 239.255.0.1

I have no idea what the port numbers are supposed to be so I left them alone.

Anywhere else I should be looking?

I used a 682 this past year with Rays 2811's.

Played with my pixcon for the first time today and definitely had issues setting it up. ( mostly my fault for lack of network knowledge).

One strange thing that happened. Was when my light got stuck on white the fuse popped. Only 50 nodes were plugged in.

But once I got it talking. The same Ray 2811 pixels worked no prob on the pixcon.

Only prob now is getting the DMX out puts up and working.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

FYI....

Remember you are dealing with items sourced from China, and all of the 'intricacies' that entails (IE, dealing with Knockoffs).  It is very possible that the factory you got your pixels from sourced it's driver chips from another china factory who said 'Oh yea, these are compatible', when in fact they are not 100%.  

The TM1804/WS2811 thing is the one we are seeing the most right now.  I can't say for certain, but I suspect the TM1804s now entering the market are knockoffs of the original TM1804s which are in fact a knock off of the WS2811 (yes, making them a knockoff of a knockoff).

The other is 'High Speed' and 'Normal Speed' drivers.  From what we have seen from the spec, drivers that can support 'High Speed' are also supposed to support 'Normal Speed'.  However we are finding some drivers that support 'High Speed' ONLY.

Thanks DevMike, is there a way to test the output of the pixcon 16 to verify that it is a light issue and not the network preferences, pixcon, or computer?

The hardware test on the board will do that.  Configure the board to use the correct pixel driver using the software.  Then use the hardware test built into the controller (manual, Page 27)

My apologies, I should have elaborated on that. I have done the hardware test and it does cycle the lights on port one but the colors are random on the string of lights and it does chase through the string somewhat.

I didn't notice any chasing when I ran the Pixcon self test.  All pixels were solid on - cycling through RGBW (or whatever the sequence actually is).

Do you have the pixels connected directly to the board (no long wires)?  

And your power supply is capable of delivering at least 4 amps?

If the status LED is flashing quickly and you have ‘random colors’ or ’random changing colors’

·         Check to make sure you selected the correct Driver Type and speed in the configuration

·         Check the connections from the string to the connector.  Ensure all the wires are tightened down properly and there are no shorts.

·         Suspect the string is bad.  Use a different pixel string and see if it has the same issues.

·         Power down, move the second string to a different port and try the test again.  You may have blown the port due to a wiring problem or connecting pixels while powered up.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, update:. First, thanks for everyone helping me out it is very appreciated.  I found I had two bad rgb strips, have configured the pixcon to where the pixels respond to the hardware test switching through colors, and have been able to add the pixcon to a sequence and manually turn the lights on and off.  I suppose now I need to learn how to sequence them through the pixel editor.  Any advice on the best way to do this?  

I've used X-lights for about 4 years now for my pixel tree and the pixel editor this last Christmas season  I know X -lights has more effects at the moment but other than that why do you prefair xLights over the pixel editor  ?   The pixel editor is much easier to use with lor .

We are seeing a lot of issues with 1804s.  If you used 2811 and had problems on the PixCon16, also make sure you have tried BOTH normal and FAST speeds with 2811 selected.  According to specs, 2811 (and clones) should ALL run normal speed, while some can run fast.  We are finding some 1804s that will ONLY run in fast.

Thanks for letting us know where you got your strings from so we can start to pin down exactly where these bad strings are coming from.