Light-O-Rama Forums

Beat Wizard feature add

photosbymike

I'd like to see an option to insert my own timings via the Beat Wizard...for instance, all we have as options is the 'detected' BPM...however in running other BPM counters, the LOR Beat Wizard seems to be off.  It's a good start, yes, but still off.

I'd like an option to enter xx.yyyy into a field and have the Beat Wizard use that.

Just another option :-)

Just my opinion .... 

The Beat Wizard works wonderful. If the song has a consistent time signature throughout, and the file is 128k, then it will get the timings close enough to work for what it is I do. It's just my personal opinion that the lights do not have to be to the exact centi-second of the beat. The human eye/ear just isn't going to notice something that's off by a small margin. I based this on my years of programming, and not one complaint (from customers) that the lights didn't match the music.

BTW - If the song changes time signature in the song, then the Beat Wizard will have a hard time with it. You'd then need to use the "portion" part of the dialog box to isolate the parts of the song in the same signature.

Also, if you feel it is off in just one or a few sections you can add a timing mark at the exact moment you want a timing mark. Just right click at the exact mark and select add timing mark at x.xx. of selected song. Also you can drag and drop a timing mark as long as there are no effects on that mark yet. I do both, add marks and move marks as needed. I used to only use the tapper wizard but the beat wizard works really well for the songs I use and then I just tweak it a bit by adding and/or moving the timing marks.

Later,

Al

I Agee with Don, after many years of doing the shows we attract a good crowd but most people are having a good time watching the lights and talking not many are watching that close to see a light miss its mark.

When I sequence I use 128 cbr mp3 ( mainly because I use the show director to run my show), however I don't use the beat wizard often but on the songs I do use the beat wizard on come out pretty good because the song is steady on the beat.  I am a picky guy at work & at home, etc & when it comes to sequencing. So if I want the beat to be very close to right on the target I use the "Wave Form" & not really for the Wave but for that (Cross Hair). I then slow the song to half speed & then I can get the "Beat" down pretty good. Sure it takes time but once I have all the timings I want down then the actual sequencing gets done fairly fast. I may only get 13 to 15 songs sequenced by December but that is all I need for my show. Plus all the other sequences that were done over the years.

When I say "all the timings" down I mean : guitar playing, words, grouped words, beats, & so on.  I use .10 but others use .05 to get the beat even better through the "Beat Wizard".  I use .10 and a bit higher like .12 on some songs because of the guitar playing on those songs. I like my mega tree to do more than just the familiar spin-a-rama move.  That is where sub-dividing the grid comes in.

So you could try .05 when using the "Beat Wizard" & use 128 cbr when sequencing.....or do it my picky time consuming way but it takes time.

I have used the Beat Wizard since the day S2 was released.  I've used it for every song I've ever sequenced, including every one I've sequenced forothers.  In all those years I've not EVER heard anyone say anything other than how spot-on my timings are.  Often, especially if the song has a slow beginning, I've needed to move a timing mark.  With the freeform timing grid the BW generates, moving a timing mark takes all of five seconds.  I always have the wave form showing for just this type of thing.

This is truly something where there's no significant benefit from over-thinking the process.  It takes less than ten seconds to run the BW, and I've yet to see any method quicker than that.