Light-O-Rama Forums

Communication Errors

Wehrlybird Productions

I just downloaded and purchased my LOR software, Basic Plus, and a LOR g3 residential controller off of Ebay. The small green light inside the controller blinks when plugged in, showing the controller is working. I bought an Ethernet cable and USB to Ethernet converter from Best Buy last night. When I plugged it all into my computer and opened LOR Hardware it showed that it wasn't connected and wont let my configure, or anything. I've tried downloading and updating drivers, and nothing works. I NEED HELP!

You need the adapter from LOR. One from the store will not work.

Ps. If you want to drive down to Dallas, I can get you one today/tomorrow, whenever you get here. I have them in stock.

Do NOT try to connect any of the LOR controllers to anything that is TCPIP or any ethernet devices. You will fry something. They are NOT compatible. The LOR buss is RS485 but to save us money, they use regular Cat5 cables as opposed to a formal rs485 cable/connectors. As Don said, you need an LOR USB/RS485 serial adapter or USB/RS485B serial adapter. I'll say it again, Do Not Connect to any switches, routers, computer tcpip ports, splitters or anything related to ethernet.