Light-O-Rama Forums

Hooking it all together?

zvacman

I am doing all 12v pixels with a lot of power supplies, 10 360w ones so far. Which brings me to another question. Do you guys/gals run your 12v power supplies 24/7 or have them on timers?

Z

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zvacman

• EmmienLightFan

• KStatefan

• Grinch

Emmien

The specs on that switch you have show it as 5v. Did you just cut the transformer off and wire it into the 5v on the E682? That would be convenient.

I run it from the supplied PSU, however if it was inside an enclosure which was situated outside, I would have used a small DC jack adapter. You can get them for very little on Ebay and they are very handy.

DC-Power-Male-Plug-Jack-Adapter-Connecto

Are you using 12v or 5v pixels?

You can also buy 12-5v regulators for about $2. The cheap ones are powerful enough for a small switch.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

I am not 100% sure that the controller's auxiliary 5v power works if you are using 12v. It may only put out the voltage that you put in. Hopefully someone knows.

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Before I buy a network switch a) does anyone have any recommendations and B) how many pixels can an E682 run? I don't want to under buy on the switch, I'm thinking future expansion.

Z

I use this switch. I remove it from the plastic case and just mount it to the backing plate in my enclosure.

Until you are over 60,000 channels a gigibit switch would not be needed.

I use this switch. I remove it from the plastic case and just mount it to the backing plate in my enclosure.

Until you are over 60,000 channels a gigibit switch would not be needed.

I notice a lot of lag on my home network which is all gigabit apart from the switch I had my Pi DMX Bridge in. I connected it downstairs to a gigabit switch, and it was fine.

I think I read it somewhere that the E682 has a 5v output regardless of the pixel voltage.

Z

I asked in the AustralianChristmasLighting chat and they said it didn't. I'm still not 100% sure though.

I think I read it somewhere that the E682 has a 5v output regardless of the pixel voltage.

Z

It has a regulated 5 volt Dc output.

• Like 1

It has a regulated 5 volt Dc output.

Oh, OK.

I think it probably does then.

The auxiliary output only outputs the voltage you put in. You can buy some cheap voltage regulators on Ebay that will connect to this output and then into your network switch.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

Oh, OK.

I think it probably does then.

The auxiliary output only outputs the voltage you put in. You can buy some cheap voltage regulators on Ebay that will connect to this output and then into your network switch.

Yours must be different than mine.

From the E682 Manual

The E682 has a built-in regulated +5VDC output to power a small Ethernet switch. 

Test on the bench

12.08 volts power

5.05 volts out on the 5volt aux power pin

More from the manual.

Using the Auxiliary Power Connector, J17:

J17 is a multi-purpose connector. Typically it is not needed, but it can be used for 2 optional features. If you choose to

power the E682 from its own power supply, rather than from the pixel power source, you would connect that power supply

to J17. +V to the top pin, and GROUND to the 2nd pin from the top. This power supply should provide from 7-24 volts DC,

and be rated at a minimum of 500ma. This supply should be externally current-limited or fused at no more than 2 amps. If

the E682 is powered in this manner, Power Select Jumpers must be installed between pins 1 and 2, and 4 and 5.

The second use of J17 is to supply a +5VDC output. This would typically be used to power a small Ethernet switch

located near the E682. Having a small Ethernet switch near the controller can simplify the network wiring since, when

using multiple controllers, it eliminates the need to run an Ethernet cable from every controller back to a remote switch.

The ability to power the Ethernet switch from the E682 simplifies wiring, since it eliminates the need for a separate switch

power transformer, and the 120VAC wiring to it. You must of course choose an Ethernet switch that runs off of +5VDC, at

a maximum of 1 amp. The +5V power output is the 3rd terminal from the top of J17, and ground is the bottom terminal. See

the screened legend on the board.

Note that J17 can be used for both functions simultaneously, but in that case be sure to use an external power supply

rated at a minimum of 1.5 amps since it will be powering both the E682 and the connected Ethernet switch.

Test on the bench

12.08 volts power

5.05 volts out on the 5volt aux power pin

More from the manual.

Using the Auxiliary Power Connector, J17:

J17 is a multi-purpose connector. Typically it is not needed, but it can be used for 2 optional features. If you choose to

power the E682 from its own power supply, rather than from the pixel power source, you would connect that power supply

to J17. +V to the top pin, and GROUND to the 2nd pin from the top. This power supply should provide from 7-24 volts DC,

and be rated at a minimum of 500ma. This supply should be externally current-limited or fused at no more than 2 amps. If

the E682 is powered in this manner, Power Select Jumpers must be installed between pins 1 and 2, and 4 and 5.

The second use of J17 is to supply a +5VDC output. This would typically be used to power a small Ethernet switch

located near the E682. Having a small Ethernet switch near the controller can simplify the network wiring since, when

using multiple controllers, it eliminates the need to run an Ethernet cable from every controller back to a remote switch.

The ability to power the Ethernet switch from the E682 simplifies wiring, since it eliminates the need for a separate switch

power transformer, and the 120VAC wiring to it. You must of course choose an Ethernet switch that runs off of +5VDC, at

a maximum of 1 amp. The +5V power output is the 3rd terminal from the top of J17, and ground is the bottom terminal. See

the screened legend on the board.

Note that J17 can be used for both functions simultaneously, but in that case be sure to use an external power supply

rated at a minimum of 1.5 amps since it will be powering both the E682 and the connected Ethernet switch.

Oh.

I was getting this information from the chat at the AusChristmasLighting forums and they were convinced it didn't lower the voltage.

It does, so you can connect your switch directly. :)

Oh.

I was getting this information from the chat at the AusChristmasLighting forums and they were convinced it didn't lower the voltage.

It does, so you can connect your switch directly. :)

If you didn't know why would you post that it was not regulated?

If you didn't know why would you post that it was not regulated?

I asked on the AusChristmasLighting chat and they said it wasn't.

I asked on the AusChristmasLighting chat and they said it wasn't.

That makes no sense.

I would suggest the OP  go by what the manual says.

Play nice kids.  It was an honest mistake and nobody got hurt.  I'm sure we have all passed on a piece of knowledge that wasn't entirely accurate at one time or another.  We are all in this crazy hobby together and need to rely on each other from time to time.  I'm just really grateful that you all are here and willing to share your experience with us newbies.

Z

• 1 month later...

Here is my potential layout so far, please correct me if anyone sees a mistake.  The computer will be in a heated garage.  There will be a USB to RG485 going out to my 5 110v controllers daisy chained together.  Off of the last one will be 2 CMB24 12 volt RGB controllers.  On a second output from the computer will be and E1.31 over Ethernet going to my network switch that will control 4 E682 controllers.  Will everybody play nice like this?

Z