Light-O-Rama Forums

How to repair Cat5 Ports?

Big Sanch Mafia

I had issues when starting my show this year, randomly the input CAT5 port for #1 didnt work and the output CAT5 port for #4 didnt work for some reason, both were Gen 3 controllers. I moved controllers around and what not to get the show to work. but now im stuck with 2 controllers that need repaired. any tips on how to do this or is there anyone out there that i could send my boxes to to repair? Does LOR provided this service?

Thanks Chad

Edited by Big Sanch Mafia

I have a 16 channel gen 3 controller as well that has 1 port that doesn't work.  I wonder if you can use a splitter to get an extra port... I haven't tried it but it seems like it would work.

Yes, LOR can repair them.  They can also (I believe) send you the connector if you're able to replace it.  Open a Help Desk ticket if you want to go that route.

Also take a good look at the pins on the connector.  Sometimes a pin will get pushed out of position.  It's pretty obvious if you're looking for that.  If so, you can usually fix that with a small probe by manually moving the pin back in place.  You do have to be a little careful when you do it.

As tmeyermn said, yes, you can use a splitter with a SHORT cable between the splitter and the working port.  that's a good solution in the middle of the season when you have to have it working by the time it gets dark, but after the season, a proper repair should be made.

BTW, stay dry.  I see Santa Barbara is getting dumped on as I type this...  We get it in a couple hours...

Yes, LOR can repair them.  They can also (I believe) send you the connector if you're able to replace it.  Open a Help Desk ticket if you want to go that route.

Also take a good look at the pins on the connector.  Sometimes a pin will get pushed out of position.  It's pretty obvious if you're looking for that.  If so, you can usually fix that with a small probe by manually moving the pin back in place.  You do have to be a little careful when you do it.

As tmeyermn said, yes, you can use a splitter with a SHORT cable between the splitter and the working port.  that's a good solution in the middle of the season when you have to have it working by the time it gets dark, but after the season, a proper repair should be made.

BTW, stay dry.  I see Santa Barbara is getting dumped on as I type this...  We get it in a couple hours...

Jim,

ya its crapping rain here.. flooding every where. should be to you shortly.

Thanks for the feedback, i'll contact LOR and see what they say.

Thanks

I had the same CAT5 connector issue with three of my controllers this year.  I spent

hours and hours trying to get them to 'daisy chain' and had to make the command

decision to run 48 channels for the 2015 show.  I opened a repair ticket with LOR

this morning and hopefully they can either fix them or I can pay them money to tell

me nothing's wrong and it was operator error.

We moved to a new neighborhood this year and 48 channels impressed the local

gentry greatly.  Can't wait to hit them with all 80 channels in 2016! 

Mark

I had 4 CTB16PC boxes get flooded this year. So far after cleaning them out and spraying them down with electronic cleaner I've found the CAT5 connectors are the only thing that looks corroded. Tested the first box so far and it's working, with 4 triacs hanging up. I'll probably replace the 4 boxes with 1602wG3 for next year but still try to repair these and make them as a stand-a-lone feature. I also had an issue with a few other boxes early in the season where I thought I had a bad CAT5 cable. Never did find it but it blew a fuse on the board in 2 boxes. I didn't think to look at the connectors but I will check them out.

LOR has great customer service when it comes to this.  The problem most people have is that the RJ-45 data jack is an industry standard jack that is really meant to have side support from a case of some kind.  The connectors don't have much meat to mount to the PCB, so it relies on the actual conductors to create the bond.  It only takes a very small amount of tug and a conductor becomes compromised.   Often reflowing the connector joints with a soldiering iron is enough to do the trick.  If necessary, LOR has been known to help out with either a replacement jack or even doing the work themselves.  Contact them and see what they say.    As a preventative, some guys use hot glue (which is electrically inert and removes easily) to give the connector a little more stability, and always remember to use strain relief. 

I've had this happen a couple of times which is normally a case of the pins getting stuck in a retracted position. Sometimes though, its a failed RJ45 connector or solder to the board. I just replaced one on a controller that had such a failure. The connector came from LOR and its easy to replace if you can solder.

• The topic was locked