Light-O-Rama Forums

CCP quits working when cold

Rod Pauley

I have an matrix that is 20 X 25. I purchased 5 CCP 100D pixels units. Just before Christmas the first unit I purchased failed with one half of a string not working when it was cold (around 25 degrees F) and LOR sent me another string which I put in and it worked fine. At the end of Christmas a string from the 3rd unit failed. Again this happens when it is really cold (20 degrees F). The first half of string works fine then the second 25 CCP give random colors. When weathr warms up to above 25 then it starts working OK. So now I am at the point where trying to firgure out what is going on and in the house it works fine. I wiggled all wires and never could get it to break. Waiting for weather to get cold again and put back outside to verify it is the pixel string and not the controller by swapping string with another controller. This CCP is an LOR product but it was purchased from your partner Synchronized Christmas in Feb. 2015. MY concern is this going to be an on going problem in cold snowy humid weather. The controller and pixels are not getting wet. They are in box and under eaves. I am little concerned that I had two of them fail in the first year. Was looking to purchase more but was hoping that they would last longer. At this time I only assume the second one is the same problem that the first one had.

never had any issues with cold weather and we get cold here -30 C or colder (-22 F )

I have CCRs CCBs and CCPs

Rod, we had cold weather over on this side of the mountains in Seattle, and I did not really have cold weather related problems that you describe.

I had at times, where one of the strings would not react to a command and only one pixel would be lit. I had not had a chance to document it and ask formerly on the forums to see if any had experienced that issue.

I had 5 CCP100D's as well. They are out in the weather, but granted I put a Gallon size ziplock bag over them. I do that to all my controllers, (cover them). Just cheap insurance.

never had any issues with cold weather and we get cold here -30 C or colder (-22 F )

I have CCRs CCBs and CCPs

ditto, 12 CCR's and 2 CCP's

3 CCP's, 6 CCR's for the last 5 years.  This year when it snowed one of the power supplies on a CCR went out.  Luckily it was just a PS though.

Remember that CCR power supplies and controllers are not weather resistant.   You need to place them in a suitable enclosure.  

All of our controllers are spec'd to run to -40 degrees, so temps should not be an issue.  If you do have something that appears to be affected by temp, it may just be 'bad'.  Please open a help desk ticket and we'll get you sorted out.

I've had all 6 of my CCR power supplies and controllers in the same enclosure for the past 5 seasons.  They were as protected as much as possible and it's worked for 5 years.  This year they worked until Dec. 26th when temps tanked and we woke up to 8" of snow....not something we get here in southern New Mexico too often!  It definitely wasn't -40 though!  Being 5 years old I wasn't concerned with opening a ticket to get it resolved, but if you are encouraging it....then I will!!!!!

I got your ticket.  I was actually referring to the OP when I said to open a ticket, but you did the right thing as well.  Whenever you have a problem, please open a ticket and we can see if we can help.  That is what we are here for :)

In your case, since it was 5 years old (and I'm glad to hear you had them in enclosures.  I could tell you stories) you'll need to replace it.  I sent you the link for that in the ticket.

Thanks to all who replied....... the weather warmed up here in the 30 's now and it works fine......... I will open an ticket when it gets cold again.

• The topic was locked