Light-O-Rama Forums

I got 1st Prize in our 2015 Holiday Lighting Constest!

Orville

Well, much to my {and my wifes} surprise, one of the maintenance guys drooped by our house on Monday evening and delivered the paper that said we we're the winners of the community 2015 Holiday Lighting Contest!    We figured they had already given these out in January {1st, 2nd and 3rd prize}, so we were elated when he handed this too me on Monday evening near the close of the community offices business day.

It's $100 off our lot rent fee for February 2016, may not be one of the best prizes out there, but every little bit helps, especially when on a "fixed" income!

So now I have got to figure out my set up and new arrangement for next year to make it a little bigger and better {if that'll even be possible} seeing I really don't have  much of a yard!

And a Special Thank You goes out to Old Sarge here on the forum, if it wasn't for his kindness and willing to share his Spanish sequences with me, I don't think we would have made  1st prize!

You see our office personnel as well as our neighborhood is primarily made up of Spanish speaking folk and my adding in a few Spanish language songs and sequences helped put us over the top this year.

Sorry no videos, my only camera broke over a year ago and I just don't have the funds to replace it at the moment.  Maybe one day into the future.

So again, a SPECIAL and VERY HEARTFELT THANK YOU to Old Sarge for the Spanish sequences!    Really appreciated what all you sent me via e-mail to make this possible!

Hope everyone is going to have a Great New Year for 2016!

• Like 2

Congrats Orville. Makes it all worth the while for some recognition on some hard work.

And I agree, $100 is $100 and every little bit helps.

Congrats Orville, I wish I would have had the time to stop by while I was down that way this year, but I was busy busy busy with family. Maybe next year I can dedicate some time to come help you out with the audio in the train.

JCF

WOW... Thats great Orville... and thanks... I was happy to help you out... The Spanish songs I did mostly for my Wife and her side of the family (From Peru).. 

Hopefully I will have more done by next year and plan on adding more the singing tree faces.

Thank you. and your welcome..

Thanks everyone.  Been doing it for almost 4 years here at my current home and even my neighbors were thinking this Holiday Light Contest must be a scam, they always thought every year we should have won, my first year was the biggest of the displays and each year it kind of dwindled down, until 2015 when I decided to go a bit bigger than the past couple of years.  And to think I almost didn't even do a display this year at all.   Just wasn't feeling it there for a while. LOL

Anyway, now I have to figure out a new and different layout for both my 2016 Halloween and Christmas displays.   I never try to make my display look the same year after year, always move things and controllers around to try and keep it all interesting.

I'm hoping I can possibly add at least one singing face this year to both Halloween and Christmas, but not sure how I'm going to accomplish doing that just yet.

@The Pest, understand that.  I know how that can be with family, before my parents and my wifes parents passed away, we were always very busy with family activities starting from Thanksgiving time all the way through New Years!   But after both our parents passed away, seems those relatives that always invited us to everything just up and disappeared, it was mostly on my wifes side that the family activities were on, my side was limited since no many of my relatives live in Florida, most all of hers do.  But seems one her parents died, all those invitations and family times just went away.  No idea what or why, so kind of makes her sad during the Holidays because of that.   So she's the one that pushes me to continue with the light displays because they make her very happy.      Of course now that stuff is coming down, it's kind of depressing.   But I do have a controller and lights I use inside between the holidays to sequence, so that helps a lot with that too.

@Old Sarge, thank you, your help with sending the Spanish sequences and other goodies in the e-mail really helped, found out the office manager and some of the other office staff came by numerous times to watch the display run it's full duration, most often they'd just look at it and leave in the previous years, this year they actually hung around and watched the whole show!

Adding in the Spanish songs for 2015, only got two of them in before Christmas{and before the judging of the contest}, "Mamasite Es Donde Santa Clause" and the "Bamboleo Melody" in before Christmas.    My neighbors were very surprised at how well I had the blow mold Santa, blow mold Mrs. Santa, blow mold Snow Woman and blow mold Santa Mouse, as well as a Snoopy wall mounted decoration all appear to be singing the words in the Spanish songs since i don't really speak the language, know a few words, but not enough to chat with someone in Spanish.

And they really loved how I got my four 3-channel Baby Sidewalk Coro Arches to flow every time Santa sang "Bamboleo", especially since these were mounted almost to the roof line on the side of the house. I bought them from Holiday Coro, I think for my second year in doing animated musical displays, although I might have had them the first year I started in 2010, just don't recall.  But they don't sell these any longer. 

I do wish I'd have had a camera capable of taking video to share the two Spanish songs I had gotten done for my Christmas 2015 display, and Thanks to you Old Sarge, they were actually the best two songs I managed to get sequenced to my L.E.D. light strands, blow molds{clear incandescent}, coro arches{Clear incandescent} and wall decorations{clear incandescent} that were setup in my display.

@Santas Helper, yes it sure does.   Just wish it'd have come before January 2016!   Then I could have picked up a lot of nifty new items from the Dollar General store up the road from me that had all their Christmas items reduced.  Could have gotten me a couple of nice snowmen to add to my display as well as quite a few more boxes of L.E.D. light strands to add in for next year.   Doubt I'm going to find much come February.    So will end up spending the extra bucks on some other things needed for around the house, would've preferred to have been able to spend at least a part of it on some new goodies.    I know not much, but at least I'd have been able to add a few new elements to my display for 2016.   Will still look and see if there is anything left, but really doubt I'm going to find anything that late after those end of Holiday Season sales.

Edited by Orville

Easy there Frank, we all know that the auto sequencer was such an epic addition to LOR that it caused Orville to have a true Fred Sanford style heart attack from the excitement! It was so severe he thought he was going home to see one of his dearly departed cats. Just ask his wife she made sure to keep us all updated.

Are you trying to give him another fake heart attack?

Edited by rescue_653

It's time to come clean. You used the auto-sequencer to win, didn't you? :P

Nope, NO auto-sequencer here.   I don't have a license for SuperStar and so I never use it.    Strictly the LOR Sequence Editor and my own abilities to get things sequenced.

Strange prize... I think a better one would be your pick of anything in the break room vending machine. So you can get like a candy bar or bag of chips. Did you even know you were in a contest? =/

werD

No vending machines on the property anywhere.   No break room either, we have a community clubhouse, but there are no vending machines in it.  Management {and the property owners} won't allow them and don't want them.    Claim to be too much of a liability.

And yes, I knew we were in, we have one every year in the manufactured home community.  I've tried to get them to up the prize to the full lot rent, but the owners won't go for that.

When I lived in an apartment, 10 years running in the same complex and pre-LOR, just  a static display with motion lights{I think they call them}, we won every year we lived there, and we got the entire apartment rent paid the following month in January, not just a partial as they do here.   Then when I used a Mr. Christmas, again, pre-LOR in a neighborhood we lived in at the time and got first prize there, that was a $50 gift card to Home Depot, so I've had better and less in winning Christmas Light contests, so I'll take the $100 off my lot rent, that's better than a candy bar or bag of chips by a long shot!

Are you trying to give him another fake heart attack?

Sorry Frank, but I *do not* have fake heart attacks, I do have heart issues along with a myriad of other medical issues.

Strange prize... I think a better one would be your pick of anything in the break room vending machine. So you can get like a candy bar or bag of chips. Did you even know you were in a contest? =/

werD

$100 is a strange prize??? What does that say about getting anything from a break room or vending machine? Candy bar or a bag of chips??? LOL. That's nowhere near a $100 prize and insulting if you ask me.

How about a vending machine in the adults only (OVER 21)club house that vends out cans of beer...

We had those in the barracks when I was stationed in Germany...  :wacko:

How about a vending machine in the adults only (OVER 21)club house that vends out cans of beer...

We had those in the barracks when I was stationed in Germany...  :wacko:

We had the same thing when I was stationed in England. It was cool. :)

But now days, nobody will see that unless it's in their garage/shop. LOL

I remember the cigarette machines too, in the states.

My how the times have changed.

• The topic was locked