Light-O-Rama Forums

Just went to Windows 10

FarrOut

Shut down the display today.  

I run a dedicated lap top for the display.  The upgrade popup kept coming up so I decided to go ahead and run the upgrade.

It took about a half hour.  As soon as it was done I brought the control panel and activated my show.  

It worked the first time with no problems.  

I converted my show computer to Windows 10 and wished I never did it. Windows 10 is not media-friendly. There's no way to shut off automatic updates. It also is constantly wanting to stream information from the Internet. So when you're trying to run your shows you need to unplug it from the Internet. It also wants to run all kinds of stuff in the background slowing down your computer not much but it is noticeable. On the plus side when I took away its internet privileges it ran the show just fine. Microsoft has been relentless with that stupid upgrade notice making people think they had to upgrade. This is what they want. You can stop that notice from showing up on your computer.

Edited by Ebuechner

• 2 weeks later...

I just ran the upgrade on my show computer. I found that LOR was no longer licensed which I resolved and the standard documents directory did not migrate to the proper location. Ran into a problem with the DVD drive in it no longer recognized but after some research, deleting some drivers or other hardware related devices, got it going again. Windows had to relearn how to see things in the machine. When I upgraded the laptop I'm on this second, there were no issues.

I just got around to disabling the Windows 10 Update notification.

Required creating a Gwx Key in the registry.  Removing and hiding the update never worked!

Icon Still Won’t Go Away?

There’s also a registry hack that you can use to prevent the icon from showing up.

Open up regedit.exe using the Start search or by hitting WIN + R and pasting it into the field. Then browse down to the following key, creating it if it doesn’t exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx

ximg_55731b805b152.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

Once you are there, create a new 32-bit DWORD value on the right-hand side named DisableGwx, and give it a value of 1.

Reboot!

Edited by wbaker4

I must caution against editing the registry directly unless the average person understands the risk. The registry is the heart of the Windows OS. Messing with the registry and not being precise will cause problems. There is no un-do function. Things changed in there, happen instantly. If you mess it up, you could possibly restore to an earlier time, assuming you didn't change something that turned your computer into a large brick. The majority of people do not even know about the registry and for those people, I suggest you stay away from it unless you learn how to use it carefully.

• Like 1

or you could go download and run the GWX Control Panel from 

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html

GWX Control Panel will help to rid your system tray of the 'Get Windows 10' notification from continually popping up.It can also prevent unintentional Windows 10 upgrades from occurring via Windows Update. GWX Control Panel really works, is safe and easy to use, and gives you the option to re-enable the icon and upgrade notifications if you're ever ready to move forward with Windows 10 in the future. Read more at: https://tr.im/OBAFo

I have it on my win 7 computer and my win 8.1 computer both and have had no problems with it.

Microsoft has already hidden the upgrade notice and pop up in other updates ..

Remember to start reading what you are downloading for updates and dont just click to automatically download and install them..

Install only what you need... not everything to include what you dont need...

IE if you do not use OUTLOOK... do you really need to be downloading and installing updates for OUTLOOK?

Also In case you arent aware if you have already updated and are running win 10 you cannot stop the auto updates... they took that option away from you so they can track all your computer uses more..

If you have win 10 they are actually in control and can use their auto downloads and installs to do what they want to with your computer..

It may take some time but If you have kept up with your backups and you cant get rid of the PESKY NO GOOD WIN 10... you may need to do a complete sys restore to get rid of it and their hidden things and then be careful when you reload it and check what you run as updates and dont just take their word they you need everything they are recommending again.. 

Edited by Old Sarge

Win 10 made the way Google tracked your movement look like child's play.   There is a ton of things to shutdown unless you want Microsoft to know everything there is to know about you.   Win 10 will constantly send back your information back to the mothership if you let them.   Do a search on the internet to turn OFF auto updates, the method to turn it OFF will depend on what version you are running.  

There's no way to shut off automatic updates. It also is constantly wanting to stream information from the Internet. So when you're trying to run your shows you need to unplug it from the Internet.

This is a best practice and should be done regardless of OS.

wouldn't it be a much better thing to have a operating system that you can control as to what it updates and downloads and installs...

I know there are many of us who do not use OUTLOOK... so why should I have no choice but to run and install upgrades for it as It seems the worst viruses etc. was usually got threw OUTLOOK... and its never ending updating and security issues have been non stop for as long as there has been OUTLOOK...

I Will upgrade to WIN 10 when I have absolutely NO CHOICE TO do it... I tried it and had so many issues with it no way will I try it again... 

bring back the old way of doing things in files and get rid of the ICONS that so many of us have to guess at to find things.... The old left side tree was so easy to use..

If we never upgraded, we'd all be using DOS 1.0...lol, think I still have that on a 5.25 inch floppy somewhere in the attic. Upgrades will always happen, some better than others and some that we not so hot.

If we never upgraded, we'd all be using DOS 1.0...lol, think I still have that on a 5.25 inch floppy somewhere in the attic. Upgrades will always happen, some better than others and some that we not so hot.

Whats wrong with DOS 1.0? :)  This time last year I was still running dos 3.3 on several systems at work. Maybe it is time for an upgrade. Still have some of the disks somewhere

This is a best practice and should be done regardless of OS.

Updating a Computer's OS is normally a good thing and should be done.  However updating your show computer is a unknown risk especially during the show.  Remember when you have Automatic updates on, Windows may decide to update during your show causing timing issues or cause the show to stop.

Edited by Grinch

Whats wrong with DOS 1.0? :)  This time last year I was still running dos 3.3 on several systems at work. Maybe it is time for an upgrade. Still have some of the disks somewhere

The good old days of DOS  It was hard to get into trouble when running DOS.   You were to busy typing commands to do anything else.

Punch cards kept wearing out or plugging up the reader with shards of paper.  Can you image trying to run your lights from a punch card now?

Yes!!! --- the days when computers had control panels...  and you could print out "MERRY CHRISTMAS" on your ASR33 teletype paper tape punch!

Disks? Punched cards!

First programming class, like some of us:

Punch card:

"hello my name is......"

the good ole days; that was a longgggg time ago