Light-O-Rama Forums

Soldering wire

aesl1982

ditto what Jerry72 said; been soldering for almost 50 years,"professionally" for 40yrs, used all kinds of methods; the easiest and strongest I've found and still use is the twist the wires together(strong mechanical connection) then solder them, but depending on the application, etc; all of the methods will work; my opinion

Lets all remember one thing, just because you do not agree with the way a person does something, does not necessarily mean it is wrong. I have soldering for years now, on small gauge wire i will twist the wires together, never had one come apart, never had one bulge to the point i could not get shrink tubing on it. On larger gauge wires that are harder to twist, i will run them side by side.

Exactly! That's why I said things the way I did. That way the OP understands that there are options. Ultimately he's going to have to figure out what works best for him. But I didn't want him at a disadvantage thinking that there's only one way it can be done.

I agree with the side by side method. I will usually strip approximately 1/4 inch of insulation off of each wire, tin the exposed wire, place wire side by side the full length of the exposed wire and apply heat and watch the tinned wires flow together and generally if tinned properly I don't have to add extra solder.

As stated previously each method mentioned is a preference and not the right or wrong way. I developed my method due to some of the circumstances I have been in when having to solder(Don't need three hands with my method, LOL)

Lets look at this at a technical stand point as well just for the purpose of discussion. A splice is considered a week point in a line and has the potential for a larger voltage drop across the splice. Seeing as how electrons flow across the outside surface of the wire and not through it it would make common sense to have as much surface contact between the two wires being spliced to aid in the transfer of electrons across the splice to prevent voltage drop.

If copper is rated at 100% conductivity, lead is only 7%, tin is 13% it makes sense that the more contact between the two copper wires is more beneficial as compared to getting the electrons to flow across lead or tin. Only silver, which is rated at 105% conductivity, is better then copper.

Discuss.

• Like 1

Maybe aesl1982 should be feeling guilty now now that he got us all arguing. (Just kidding) just a heated friendly discussion. But seriously don't get thinking there's any right or wrong way there are variations of what's best. The main thing is just practice.

I agree with the side by side method. I will usually strip approximately 1/4 inch of insulation off of each wire, tin the exposed wire, place wire side by side the full length of the exposed wire and apply heat and watch the tinned wires flow together and generally if tinned properly I don't have to add extra solder.

As stated previously each method mentioned is a preference and not the right or wrong way. I developed my method due to some of the circumstances I have been in when having to solder(Don't need three hands with my method, LOL)

I have been soldering side by side for larger wire for years, I wonder how well that would work with larger gauge wires? I have always just put them side by side but have always had issue heating the larger wire enough to flow well.

Maybe aesl1982 should be feeling guilty now now that he got us all arguing. (Just kidding) just a heated friendly discussion. But seriously don't get thinking there's any right or wrong way there are variations of what's best. The main thing is just practice.

Exactly, and dont worry about yer fingers or the cats tail, skin will grow back.

A lot of good information here. I'll try all the different methods. In went a ordered a soldering iron with a tempsture adjustment on it. The cheap harbour freight one just doesn't seem too good lol. The Kester 44 and stuff should be here tommorow and I'll try some different methods

I'll add yet another suggestion.  For what it's worth, soldering is a part (small part) of my job.  I work for NASA and have the NASA specific training, even the military uses the NASA spec.  There's a lot of good info above and I don't want to override anyone or confuse you any more.  What I strongly suggest is to tin the wire....twist the wires tight (individual strands, not the 2 wires being soldered together). Put some solder on the tip of your iron and then just apply it evenly over your wire.  You may have to do this more than once.  Flux is also essential.  Once the wire is coated in solder, the wires are far less likely to birdcage on you.  Using needlenose pliers, bend a hook in your wire.  Do this for the other wire and then simply hook or latch them together.  Then you can squeeze the hook closed so the wires don't separate.  At this point you can apply a small amount of solder to your joint, and in doing so it will also heat up the solder you used to tin the wires.  You will have plenty of solder at the connection and it will solder together rather quickly and easily.

I'll add yet another suggestion.  For what it's worth, soldering is a part (small part) of my job.  I work for NASA and have the NASA specific training, even the military uses the NASA spec.  There's a lot of good info above and I don't want to override anyone or confuse you any more.  What I strongly suggest is to tin the wire....twist the wires tight (individual strands, not the 2 wires being soldered together). Put some solder on the tip of your iron and then just apply it evenly over your wire.  You may have to do this more than once.  Flux is also essential.  Once the wire is coated in solder, the wires are far less likely to birdcage on you.  Using needlenose pliers, bend a hook in your wire.  Do this for the other wire and then simply hook or latch them together.  Then you can squeeze the hook closed so the wires don't separate.  At this point you can apply a small amount of solder to your joint, and in doing so it will also heat up the solder you used to tin the wires.  You will have plenty of solder at the connection and it will solder together rather quickly and easily.
i seen this method on you tube and was afraid of it being to large at the joint for the heat shrink to seal properly

Nope, it works well.  If you are using bigger wire and don't think you can squeeze the locked hooks together very tight, you can always slide a short piece of heat shrink over the wire right up to the edge of the insulation before you make your hook.  Heat it and shrink it, this will take up some of the gap you may have from the large hooked joint.  Do this for both sides obviously.  Then when you heat shrink the actual joint, the heat shrink will slide over the joint and the already shrunk piece.  Once you apply heat and it begins to shrink, the 2 heat shrinks will both heat and bond nicely.

37aac8a03fce3764484407c6b69bd5d9.jpgstill waiting on this to show up

I see a hakko bag....is hakko the iron you got as well?
no I got a stahl ssvt

Nice set-up!  Makes me want to buy something for the house!  I took 5 minutes this morning to take a picture of the hook and heat shrink method.  I could have used a smaller heat shrink, but this is what I had. Just something to give you a visual.

post-4081-0-63462200-1452182372_thumb.jp

Edited by drivemewilder

I twist the wires first add Flux then add solder to the iron then touch it to the wires I'm soldering together. I place the wires side by side. It flows like butter and makes a great connection I haven't had ANY issues. Then add the heat shrink and you have a really solid connection. Everybody does it their own way. It's up to the person doing it to find the best way they are comfortable with.