Light-O-Rama Forums

Soldering wire

aesl1982

Do any big box stores sell the soldering wire. I was told I need flux core soldering wire the thinnest I could get it. Any ideas. It'll be used to prestige soldering so I can get into pixels more

Questions that are not about Light-O-Rama Hardware or Software need to be placed here, in General Decorating Questions, or The Coffee Shop.

They might, but I did a quick search on Amazon and found lots of solder.  For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Kester-Rosin-Core-Solder-Spool/dp/B00068IJPO/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1451802089&sr=1-4&keywords=solder

This is some of the best around, BTW.

thats rosin core? I heard that it needed to be flux core or you have to add flux if it's not

The rosin core is the flux. The other option is acid core which is only used for plumbing.

I have been using that Kester solder with great results! It is very fine strand. Like k6ccc said you want rosin core solder not acid core.

The solder can make all the difference what's mentioned above is the best stuff you can get. Solder from the big box store can make your life a living hell. They're all about big profits and buying the cheapest product they can.

They might, but I did a quick search on Amazon and found lots of solder.  For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Kester-Rosin-Core-Solder-Spool/dp/B00068IJPO/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1451802089&sr=1-4&keywords=solder

This is some of the best around, BTW.

This is what I use to solder my boards, works great

60/40 .032 for soldering anything small. I have built every board i have, i have soldered all my wires together, i use nothing but that size and have had no issues at all.

Edited by jerry72

Thanks for all the input. I ordered that Kester 44 today. With the helping hand. I got me a cheap soldering iron from harbour freight and some cheap solder just to play around with. Guess I need to invest in a iron with adjustable heat. Il never solder boards or anything together it's mainly to put the ends on pixels. I cut some Spt with and put it back together. It's ugly as all get out but it works when I plugged it in lol. 99ce217a58805eacd09f20b233a83238.jpg33f3903771be1243a63b79bebb3e8500.jpg

Those joints will pull apart with any pressure, twist the wires together length wise then use the solder to lock the twists.

aesl1982

I admire your humility! Ive been soldering since I was a kid but there is always someone better. Search the web, there are videos on how to solder, from wires to circuit boards.  What you have there looks like a cold and dirty solder joint. Without going into much detail, remember to heat your work, not the solder. The solder follows the heat.

Rosin core is hollow and that hollow tube is filled with flux(rosin). flux etches and cleans the metal as you soldering so the solder will bond to it better.

Radio shack has some good solder, too. 60/40 flux core.

Its not difficult, you will get the hang of it quickly.

I do a lot of this type of soldering. Here's a little constructive criticism first off you have way too much wire exposed. And it looks like you'll have to practice on how to get the solder to flow through. Remember the solder always wants to travel towards the heat. And a tip remember to put the heat shrink tubing on before you solder together. When trying to do a solder jont like you have in the picture I tin all four wires first. Then I slip on the heat shrink tubing. And with a dab of solder on the iron I solder the two wires together parallel to each other. Then you can slip heat shrink tubing over the connection and shrink it down. I'm not picking on what you did just trying to give you some tips from somebody who is experienced

I do a lot of this type of soldering. Here's a little constructive criticism first off you have way too much wire exposed. And it looks like you'll have to practice on how to get the solder to flow through. Remember the solder always wants to travel towards the heat. And a tip remember to put the heat shrink tubing on before you solder together. When trying to do a solder jont like you have in the picture I tin all four wires first. Then I slip on the heat shrink tubing. And with a dab of solder on the iron I solder the two wires together parallel to each other. Then you can slip heat shrink tubing over the connection and shrink it down. I'm not picking on what you did just trying to give you some tips from somebody who is experienced
i appreciate the tips. I didn't use at shrink because I'm just messing around with it right now. I think the main issue was posted previous post also. I was trying to actually heat the solder wire. Instead of heating the wires. The insulation on wires started getting hot so I thought I was doing something wrong and just touched the solder to the gun lol here's my next attempt lol

Second try 62e6a4816682bdb82b3344ef96f6891f.jpg

i appreciate the tips. I didn't use at shrink because I'm just messing around with it right now. I think the main issue was posted previous post also. I was trying to actually heat the solder wire. Instead of heating the wires. The insulation on wires started getting hot so I thought I was doing something wrong and just touched the solder to the gun lol here's my next attempt lol

Second try 62e6a4816682bdb82b3344ef96f6891f.jpg

that is a dramatic improvement over your first attempt. Still a little more wire exposed then what you need. If you notice the wire insulation shrinks back a little when you heat the wire. Another tip is keep the soldering iron tip freshly tinned a little bit so it transfers the heat better. Edited by Ebuechner

Before starting to solder you need to twist the wires together so that they are mechanically attached BEFORE starting to solder.

Soldering_Wire.jpg

looks a little better. still looks cold.

When mr.P suggested twist wires he meant you should twist them together, not like a bread tie, but length wise. That way they will stay together while soldering and makes a better bond. Ebuechner suggested side by side, which is fine, just with wire 18 and and bigger I like to twist (and shout).

yes the wires will get hot, burned fingures many times to achive a good bond.

Try twisting the wire ends, without tinning them first, clean gun tip with a damp sponge or towel, wet the tip by touching solder to it briefly, put that iron right in the middle of your joint for 1 seconds. Then feed the solder on the wire CLOSE to but not on the iron. You will see the solder begin to "wick" in both directions. You may need to move the iron along the wires to get better coverage.

I saw jim just posted a picture, yeah like that. 

Before starting to solder you need to twist the wires together so that they are mechanically attached BEFORE starting to solder.

Soldering_Wire.jpg

I don't agree with that. I've been soldering things since the late seventies when I was really young. I do a lot of work soldering on equipment where the wires are in a high stress situation. If the wires are stripped tinned and soldered thoroughly parallel to each other they won't fail. I've custom made wiring harnesses for performance vehicles. I also custom make wiring harnesses for large RC aircraft. I'm very particular about my solder joints. Wrapping the two wires together is another way to do it but is not necessary. But I can be very helpful for somebody starting out. It can produce a bulge in the solder joint that is hard to cover with the shrink wrap.

I don't agree with that. I've been soldering things since the late seventies when I was really young. I do a lot of work soldering on equipment where the wires are in a high stress situation. If the wires are stripped tinned and soldered thoroughly parallel to each other they won't fail. I've custom made wiring harnesses for performance vehicles. I also custom make wiring harnesses for large RC aircraft. I'm very particular about my solder joints. Wrapping the two wires together is another way to do it but is not necessary. But I can be very helpful for somebody starting out. It can produce a bulge in the solder joint that is hard to cover with the shrink wrap.

Agreed Its all about the heat and where you apply the heat

Lets all remember one thing, just because you do not agree with the way a person does something, does not necessarily mean it is wrong. I have soldering for years now, on small gauge wire i will twist the wires together, never had one come apart, never had one bulge to the point i could not get shrink tubing on it. On larger gauge wires that are harder to twist, i will run them side by side.