Light-O-Rama Forums

Layout Schematic

bwinter

Where's a good place to see an overall house schematic, showing where all the controllers are, power, and how everything is connected?

I'm having a hard time visualizing how all the independent components come together, and what the overall wiring project would look like.

Take a look at the Typical Setups link at top of page. (Or here if you are on mobile.)

That's how everything is connected together. 

There isn't an "overall house schematic" when using LOR controllers.

Everyone's display is different.

But focus your layout to the front of the house, where most displays are.

Maybe on each side of the house and the front.

Underground power is fine as long as the wiring and outlets are away from dirt, grassy areas and flooding/ponding areas.

I guess what I'm asking for, is if anyone actually has a good schematic of his/her specific house.

I see tons of videos showing the final product, but I think it could be helpful to see the schematic, to learn how it all comes together.

I did study the "typical setups" on the link above, but it's hard to get a sense of what a physical layout would look like. For example, you may have some controllers in the attic, some in the garage, and some in the yard. All daisy-chained, I guess? Single power cable to each controller? What features are daisy-chained (if any), vs what elements are go directly to a controller?

I have controllers in the attic, in the garage, on the mega tree tower, behind some bushes, on the spiral tree tower, chained to a tree out front. 

All are daisy chained with Cat5. But the power supply spreads out in different areas.

I run extension cords to most of these controllers. Why? Because my setup may change so the placement of controllers may change.

A schematic will be more directed at that owners demands. 

If you're looking for advice of a schematic of power to controllers, maybe posting a pic of your house/yard and what you plan to do for that area. Folks here can better advise on that "might" be best for your situation but again, it's what works best for you.

Tom

Edited by Santas Helper

I have controllers in the attic, in the garage, on the mega tree tower, behind some bushes, on the spiral tree tower, chained to a tree out front. 

All are daisy chained with Cat5. But the power supply spreads out in different areas.

I run extension cords to most of these controllers. Why? Because my setup may change so the placement of controllers may change.

A schematic will be more directed at that owners demands. 

If you're looking for advice of a schematic of power to controllers, maybe posting a pic of your house/yard and what you plan to do for that area. Folks here can better advise on that "might" be best for your situation but again, it's what works best for you.

Tom

+1 on Tom's advice

Being that this was my second year and our display pretty much stayed the same... I don't have too much to add.

However, I will add this - if you're feeling secure about the controllers and a bit risky, you could do what Tom does and put them out in your yard. (You would have to hide them and make sure they will be weather proofed...) Or you could go the paranoid route that my family went and put the controllers somewhere inaccessible to viewers. (Two mounted in the garage on a plank of wood no one would ever take due to it's weight, and a third up on the roof mounted to the wall, also inaccessible.) The third one required a 125 foot ethernet cord that went across the roof and under the door to continue the daisy chain, but that was no big deal.

It is all a matter of where your display is, where your outlets/circuits are, and personal preference. If you show us some graphics, I at the least would be willing to help you out more. Do know that your measurements for your extension cords and power supply, etc. will need to be precise in the end; having more than enough slack in the cords is better than not having any (or not having enough cord) at all.

Anything else we can help you with?

The controllers can go any where, but some of the tips I like to follow -

1. Keep them close to your props, it is easier to run two extension cords 100' and 16 cords 10'

2. Group controllers together so you don't have cat 6 cable running everywhere and more likely to trip over

3. Put your first controller close to your computer or show director if using the FM transmitter (there are additional concerns if you setup this way)

4. Find a way to hide or enclose the controllers. Prevents observers from 'playing' with them. I use tote bins, upside down anchor to ground and locked.

The power supply will depend on the lights used.  LED will let you run a single cord to a controller or three.

3. Put your first controller close to your computer 

This part of the step doesn't matter. The first controller can be at the end of the line if need be.

The controllers can go any where, but some of the tips I like to follow -

1. Keep them close to your props, 

2. Group controllers together 

It's kinda hard to keep them close to props AND grouping them together since props are all over the place. 

Just try to minimize the number of extension cords from the controller to the string(s) that you will light.

Controller ONE is 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 ...1.16,  so 16 separate props or colors.

Controller Two is   2.1, 2.2, 2.3....2.16

Controller Three is  3.1, 3.2, 3.3 ...3.16

So each channel controls what ever you attach to it separately from the other channels.