Light-O-Rama Forums

2015 Lights Display

lightingnewb

2015 Christmas Display  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which song did you enjoy the most?

• Wizards in Winter
    • Santa Claus is Coming to Town
    • Nutrocker

This year we converted about half of our display to dumb RGBs. (Last year we used rope light... you can see the half that didn't get replaced yet [next year!] just looks plain tacky compared to the RGBS.)

We managed to record 3 out of 4 songs so far, embedded videos/links are below. In addition to converting to RGBs, we added 13 new fixtures. 5 "trees", 4 colors on the tree trunk, 2 strands around each pillar (4 fixtures) and in 2016 we plan to change this a little bit more as well.

Hope you enjoy the show. Any questions or comments/constructive criticism are always welcome. We learned from you all.

[Wizards in Winter - Trans Siberian Orchestra]

[Santa Claus is Coming to Town - Mariah Carey]

[Nutrocker - Trans Siberian Orchestra]

Just an FYI - It's either Wizards or Nutrocker... (one of them) I left a lot of the ending out. I'm disappointed! It had so much potential. Please do not let this affect your experience or your decision if you choose to participate in the poll. The reason I put the poll in was just to get a sense of what people like to see... It helps for sequencing for next year.

Thanks again for everything guys and girls!

LN

I dont mean to knock your show but my vote is for Santa Clause is Coming to Town... Mariah Carey.. 

The reason being.. 

TSO is so over used now days... Its like everyone or almost everyone has Wizards and or Nutrocker in their show.

Its time for some new things to start replacing TSO..

Not saying the group isn't great... they are great but its just time for some new things to be in light displays.

I dont mean to knock your show but my vote is for Santa Clause is Coming to Town... Mariah Carey.. 

The reason being.. 

TSO is so over used now days... Its like everyone or almost everyone has Wizards and or Nutrocker in their show.

Its time for some new things to start replacing TSO..

Not saying the group isn't great... they are great but its just time for some new things to be in light displays.

Sarge,

I agree. TSO is too often used in displays. We used it as kind of a theme, but we opted to do one song with lyrics to try it out again and break away from tradition.

Next year, (or later this year) we will have a different playlist running. TSO will not be the main focus. I don't know how many songs/different shows we will have running, but I can assure you that TSO will make a small appearance at the least. Other lyrical songs may make appearances as well.

Even after all these years, I still think those songs are relevant.  I feel like sequencing Wizards in Winter is a sort of rite of passage for all of us who do this.  

Wizards seems to be a song you can almost 100% count on seeing in a light show.  Personally, I like to compare my version to youtube and local displays to see how mine stands up.  It works the other way too... if you have a crappy version of Wizards I know not to waste my time watching your other sequences.  

Just my two cents.  

• Like 1

Even after all these years, I still think those songs are relevant.  I feel like sequencing Wizards in Winter is a sort of rite of passage for all of us who do this.  

Wizards seems to be a song you can almost 100% count on seeing in a light show.  Personally, I like to compare my version to youtube and local displays to see how mine stands up.  It works the other way too... if you have a crappy version of Wizards I know not to waste my time watching your other sequences.  

Just my two cents.  

I can go back and forth on this. While it is widely used and sometimes overused, Wizards in Winter has become a classic for our kind of displays.

The other issue is that it's overused and is too commonly synchronized by many others, making it seem... bland.

Therefore, I recommend using it as a filler from now on for my display. If I don't have a new sequence ready to debut, any classic TSO song can be used as a filler (one that I've sequenced before).

Trans Siberian Orchestra is a fantastic group... but their songs are so heavily influenced by rock that it can be hard to fully classify a song as a Christmas song.

My conclusion is such: Trans Siberian Orchestra will not be a focal point in my display. It will be an aspect, but never again a focal point.

Of the nine songs in my 2015 display, three are TSO (Wizards, Christmas Canon, and Carol of the Bells).  Wizards was new this year, but the other two were in the show last year.  BTW, all three were purchased sequences from Brian Bruderer and then I spent 20 - 30 hours adding the other 3,000 or so channels in my yard to what Brian had done.  I added WiW this year because it is such the standard for light shows.

Just remember that those songs are overdone for your audience. There's a lot of Times when people are if you don't have at least 1, I did dream of fireflys this year to do something different then wizards

I agree with Jrock_at_rons, I consider Wizards a rite of passage, and a well known tune to compare each others work with.  

Yes, Wizards In Winter is over played, so is Carol of Bells, but these songs are classics. I will use them for years to come, but they are on a different show loop. They don't play all the time, and I mix them up with other TSO songs.

Siberian Sleigh Ride is one of my favorites, so is Winter Palace and First Snow is good too. There are alot of good TSO songs, and when staggered throughout a show aren't so overbearing. This is why I do Non-Christmas songs in my show, it breaks things up. 

My Wizards In Winter I changed up a bit, I used the thought that there were two Wizards trying to show each other up. A White Wizard and a Blue Wizard. One does an effect then the other,(so, you think you're so good? here's your effect back at you and a one up too,watch this!) with the main color as a given that it's that wizard taking stand.

If I didn't tell anyone this, they would never just see it, but with that thought in mind, suddenly it makes sense.    

Is that really only 32 channels?  It looks great.  

I get the concept... had you not told us, I don't know if I would have picked it up.  Knowing it though, I could see it.  Its a really good sequence though.  This is my second year and I added Wizards this year. 

Is that really only 32 channels?  It looks great.  

I get the concept... had you not told us, I don't know if I would have picked it up.  Knowing it though, I could see it.  Its a really good sequence though.  This is my second year and I added Wizards this year. 

Yes, it's only 32 channels and thank you! There is A LOT of extension cord to mirror my display, which makes it look like there are more channels, and I'm glad you saw the madness behind the wizards. Yours really looks good too, the timing is dead on and the sequencing gives the song feeling. Good job for a second year rookie...I've only got one year on you, so I'm still rookie too. This year I'm exploring the boundaries of RGB. Playing with them(more like pulling my hair out) as we speak, I've got a heartbeat, but it's not breathing yet....more research for PE needed.   

• The topic was locked