Light-O-Rama Forums

Higher than 12,000 channels?

k6ccc

Brian, are you expecting to create a license level higher than the current maximum of 12,000 channels? I just added up my "if I do everything I'm thinking about" for 2016, my channel count is 13,285 channels. Since it is my intention is to sequence absolutely everything in SuperStar and export as a single intensity file per song, the 12,000 channel license is not big enough. Now I will point out that I may not do it all, but cutting almost 1300 channels might be a challenge...

Not trying to be pushy, but if are expecting to release a higher license, will it be before November?

Jim, you do know about the "combine intensity files" setting, right?

You can combine as many files as needed as long as you don't exceed 100 Universes. Not many folks are gonna have 17K pixels. I'm sure somebody will, but not many

But that means sequencing different elements separately. Same reason I'm not trying to sequence part of the song that in PE, and part in SSE.

I sequence to 3 visualizers, One for the 16 x 50 Pixel Tree, one for the 12 x 50 and then everything else in the third.

Seems like Brian was going to go to 160 CCRs or 24K channels at one time, but I don't know if that's still in the works. I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

So again a newbie question but exactly what constitute a channel in Superstar? How does one calculate channels with mostly RGB-CCRs and only one 16-circuit controller for non-CCR???!!

Also...can I "upgrade" to get more than 40 "rows" in the programming grid in Superstar?

A channel in SuperStar is just like a channel in Sequence Editor. A RGB Pixel is three channels. A strip of 50 RGB pixels is 150 channels. A matrix of 80 x 15 pixels would be 3600 channels (80 x 15 x 3)

As far as I know the grid limits is 64 rows high by 255 pixels per row.

Everything Jim says is correct, except the limit is actually 64 rows high by 360 pixels per row.

Also is each of the 16 outputs on the controller 1 channel?

I mean rows under the timeline...not rows in the green programming grid.

The layers under the timeline (or as you referred to as rows), are not directly tied to channels.  An effect will be on some layer.  That effect may involve one channel or thousands of channels.  With one exception that I know of, it does not make any difference what layer number an effect is located on.  And layers can overlap.  In other words, you could have many effects all on the same layer happened at the same or overlapping times.  Separating them out is only for our convenience.  And, yes, there are 40 layers.  A standard LOR channel will occupy one dot on the green channel grid, just as one RGB pixel also occupies one dot on the grid.

Just for good measure, if you using SSE in Visualizer mode, you COULD have more than one channel occupy a single green dot on the grid, but they will always be the same.

Thanks Jim - I was referring to the layers.....I ran out of open space in a couple of songs for my Christmas show so was hoping maybe there were 64 instead of 40 some how! LOL

A well - I'll have to see if I can somehow combine some of my effects to make them take up less layers I guess! I have almost a year to do it in!!!!!

I have run out of layers a few times.  Simply take some effects that are completed and combine them into a single layer.  For example, If my pixel tree is taking 24 layers for some series of effects, and I want to use 20 layers for some other part of the display, simply combine all (or some) of the pixel tree effects into a single layer (or a few).