Light-O-Rama Forums

Triac - New challenge...

zeighty

Okay... now I am perplexed. I have a 1602 channel 3 that started staying on at very low level... one little tree glowing green all night.  Then two days later... no more glowing. Hardware utility used to test out the channel and all was fine.  

Last night, glowing green again.  This morning before the sun came up no glow.... 

I have replaced several triacs and run into the 1/2 failure problem several times... This is the first time that it has come and gone.  

Okay great LOR gurus - what is going on?  Is it time to replace yet another triac?  

Thanks for your help!

Yes, time to replace it. I had one that was on 1/2 way, unplugged it that night, next day went to check it out, plugged it in ,now it is off, ran display the next night with no problems. When I checked my security system the next morning I saw it come on at 2:16 am and stay on, did not check it again, just pulled the controller and changed the triac, all is OK now. That was the 2nd one this year.

Edited by EARLE W. TALLEY

47 views and only one reply (thank you Earle) ... Come on!  I really want to know how this happens, not just that I will have to replace the triac. 

Somebody in LOR Land knows... I am convinced of that fact... 

I am a electronics hobbyist and a Ham, but I cannot figure out how a triac behaves as if it has failed (1/2 way), but then reverses said behavior and works again... Perhaps moisture and stray currents on the board??? 

The show ends Saturday night... I will then schedule time to swap the triac.  BTW, if you do your own board level work... invest in a vacuum desolder station. Wow! It is the best money spent in a long time. 

Earle, hows "winter" been up in Ocala?  I was up at the National Forest Shooting range 2 weekends before Christmas and it was actually cooler then than on Christmas day!  I love Florida, but this Polar Vortex issue needs to straighten itself out... sooner than later... Cool down on New Years day will be welcomed.  Sunday is strike day for my display and it is suppose to be cool... I will believe it when I feel it.  

I had the same thing happen this year. I didn't have the time to try and figure out the reason it behaved like it did so I just replaced the triac and that fixed it (Well when i replaced the correct one it did  ;)). If anyone knows why let us know.

-Chris-

I had all 8 triacs smoke on the right side of my controller. I am guessing it happened due an to incoming short due to rain??? IDK, but now i have half of 1 controller gone. Does anyone have any input or part numbers for the triac?

Thanks

part# for triacs from MOUSER

511-BTA16-600BW
MFG Part No:BTA16-600BWRG
BTA16-600BWRG
ST Triacs
US HTS:8541300080 ECCN:EAR99 COO:CN

Edited by EARLE W. TALLEY

ZEIGHTY,  The winter has been warm, grass is still growing and was very hot as SANTA the nights that I was out there. 

I had all 8 triacs smoke on the right side of my controller. I am guessing it happened due an to incoming short due to rain??? IDK, but now i have half of 1 controller gone. Does anyone have any input or part numbers for the triac?

Thanks

You're positive it is all eight TRIACS and not a blown fuse for that side of the board? The power for the logic and channels 9-16 come in on the right side of the controller. That means channels 9-16 will work fine even though the fuse for the left side of the board is blown.

Tom

morganslightshow - LOR will send you some triacs. The last time I asked they sent me 6.  I have not asked for a specific number as I appreciate their supplying any at all.  They also pay the postage.  Not a bad deal, but I did need more so I too have ordered from Mouser: 

Mouser #: 511-BTA24-600BW

Mfr. #: BTA24-600BWRG Desc.:

Triacs25 Amp 600 Volt

I ordered 20 in December 2014 and they were $1.11 each... I just checked and they are now $1.77 each.  Ouch!  I had a few from LOR and I have a few of the Mouser left.  I may check other sources as a .66 each increase seems high even for a year.  

I just checked a few sites... Mouser is not too far off a lot of suppliers.  However, I did find this one: 

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/electromechanical/circuit-protection/power-thyristors/Pages/1668227-BTA24-600BWRG.aspx?IM=0

They are a world wide company, but have a warehouse here in the states.  $1.16 minimum of 10 purchased.  Best price I have found.  

If you have not replaced triacs before, keep in mind that they are in a t-220 package which includes an integrated heat sink.  They can be a bear to get off the board if you do not have a vacuum desolder station. I bought one as I do other boards beyond my LOR stuff, but I think if it were only for my controllers I would still buy one.

I used to clip the leads close to the package and then use desolder braid or a bulb and blow the solder out of the hole.  Yes, use the bulb in reverse... it works.

Edited by zeighty

ZEIGHTY,  The winter has been warm, grass is still growing and was very hot as SANTA the nights that I was out there. 

I just did yard work today, around the arches and trees... carefully running the mower to pick up the leaves and debris.. and snag a single extension cord from one of the arches... It was time to put the mower away... 

My daughter lives in ND and I suppose I need to stop complaining about 85 degrees here when I just checked and it is 7 degrees there & feels like -4.  

I do not have much traffic for my show.  No Santa costume for me. I don't know what it is... probably someone else does it better not too far away?  

Those that do come to see it and my neighbors all thank me and say it is good. 

I had an unusual one this year too. One of my channels turns on for about 2 minutes like a blown triac, then turns back off ofr about 2 minutes (show running or not, doesn't matter.) Used to blown triacs (had 3 of my ~200 go bad this year, that seems about average), never seen one act like this before. 

Not really an answer, but apparently, it happens. 

Had two controllers a couple years back that had a bunch fail in that way. Only controllers I've ever had them die in so I chalked it up to a bad batch.

• The topic was locked