Light-O-Rama Forums

Any Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, CA, Forum Members?

Ed K

Are there any forum members/visitors who live in the Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, California area?  I thought it might be fun to get together periodically (once per month?) in 2016 to discuss experiences and to ask/answer questions.  It would be a mix of newbies and veterans, and could be chance to motivate all of us (as if that's needed).

B)

Ed K (Granite Bay).

Not quite in Roseville, but there is a regular get together in the Sacramento area.  It gets talked about in the Coffee Shop pretty much every month.

Thanks, Jim.  I saw those threads, which are great.  I was hoping to find a few who live in the Roseville area, about 23 miles from Sacramento.  Also, it would be nice to actually see, in person, the physical setups used for Christmas lights.

Ed

Yes, it is nice to be able to see other people's displays and see how they did things.  I make an effort when I am going to another forum member's show to contact them in advance so I can meet up with them.  Usually results in the behind the scenes info that the public does not get.  Similarly, I welcome other show owners at my house and love to give the behind the scenes tour.  Since I run a year round landscape lighting show, I get to show off all year long.

I'm going to try after the season is over to put together a Los Angeles area get together on at least a semi-regular basis.  I know there are enough forum members to make it practical.

Thanks, Jim.  I saw those threads, which are great.  I was hoping to find a few who live in the Roseville area, about 23 miles from Sacramento.  Also, it would be nice to actually see, in person, the physical setups used for Christmas lights.

Ed

We have those that come from the Roseville, Bay Area, Fairfield, Lodi, Redding, and even had one come up from LA area once..  I come up from Elk Grove every time..  I guess it all depends on what you are willing to spend in time and mileage and whether or not it is worth what you get out of it.  Sometimes we get a lot, sometimes not so much.. 

plasmadrive,

I look forward to the next get together.  How can I get info on the meetings?

Ed

plasmadrive,

I look forward to the next get together.  How can I get info on the meetings?

Ed

Search the forum for "Sacramento". Usually the topic is something along the lines of "Sacramento Meeting on xxx date". We meet at the Round Table pizza parlor in Old Sac. There's plenty of room for bringing items to display/share and power if needed. Some times there's 10 people some times 30. On a side note, I grew up in Granite Bay (actually it was called Roseville when i lived there) and went to Sierra College in Rocklin (a long time ago!) but live in the Bay Area now.

TonyD,

Excellent, I'll search for the meetings periodically.  It's cool that there's room to bring stuff to show.  

Right now, I'm planning on building frames for my front windows (stucco house, so I can't mount directly).  I'll build the frames from 3/4" clear plastic tubing (polycarbonite tubing from www.eplastics.com), and I will put a CCR string in each frame.  My main technical hurdle are the corners.  To test this whole idea, I've drilled out a portion of 3/4" PVC elbows, and will bring the CCR out the hole, then loop it back into the elbow for the 90' turn.  Very gently, of course.  I don't want to cut and rewire the CCRs, despite a forum participant's PDF that shows a very clear and detailed description, with photos, of how to cut and rewire a LOR CCR.

I've lived in Roseville, then GB, for about 22 years, but did not grow up here (Oregon).  I live down the street from the GB library.  Great place, as you know, but not quite the feel and culture of the Bay Area, to say the least.

Ed

• 1 month later...

Plasma,  I was poking around and I think there was a get together on Jan 16.  I totally missed seeing anything on that - my fault. I'll look more often now for messages about the next confab.

Some of you folks really know your stuff, given the posts and support you provide, so I'm looking forward to meeting up in person.

• The topic was locked