Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding RGB next year.... NEED GUIDANCE

jaztram

Hello,

I want to use some rgb led strips next year and really dont have much knowledge on whats needed. I run 32 channels now and want to incorporate the RGB into it. Is there a step by step tutorial site or area i can go to to learn?  THanks for the help

Are you thinking about dumb strips as Dennis suggested or smart pixels?  The difference if you don't know it is that on a dumb strip or string, the entire string or strip is all the same color - albeit any color you want.  With smart pixels or strips, each pixel is controlled individually.  How you accomplish this is somewhat different - hence the question.

1st step is to read the introduction to RGB from the Aussy board.   http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?board=51.0     

LOR has some videos worth watching, Go to the regular LOR site and select Videos,  David at Holiday Coro has a couple of great video's that will help.

Dumb strips and lights have a valid use but are limiting and not really that much cheaper.   Smart strips and bulbs (pixels) can be grouped to save programing and channels to emulate dumb bulbs.d

Start with E1.31.  don't mess with DMX dongles or cross over cables, you can get past E1.31 controllers by using a E1.31 to DMX converter for those items that are regualar DMX.

Be careful with strips as they are very fragile but have a solid place.

Edited by jerrymac

• The topic was locked