Light-O-Rama Forums

Griz's 2015 Lightshow

Ineedmorelights

Hello all,

This is our sixth year with LOR and for the very first time, I have made time to take some videos and upload them online.  I know the seasons, over, but better late than never - right?!  We are a 64 channel display using incandecients and some LEDs (no RGB... yet!).  One of my favorite additions this year was the inputpup.  We used an old computer motherboard to install the control buttons and dubbed it the "Kringle Kontrol Panel".  It was a small addition but a HUGE hit!

We are looking forward to a next year - new house (hopefully bigger yard), RGB/Pixel additions, and maybe adding in some servo controls.  

Thanks for letting me share my show with you, and I appreciate any feedback you have.  Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Griz

2015 Show:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5KvgoDYYCLBZ1jEHcDmgbxzdPjkJ-qC7

post-6400-0-80867800-1451247326_thumb.pn

• Like 2

I like the Light of Christmas and the Can Can. Not saying the others are bad. LOL! I like your use of the intensity feature too! Sometimes the old incandescents just add that warm steady fade that the LEDs just can't compare to. Very nice job...and it sure is a lot of lights Dad. :D​ 

• Like 1

How did you do your spiral tree? So nice! I've got Can-Can with 64 channels as well- it's funny because I did some similar effects with the talking as well. Will get my posted to Facebook and send you the link to compare! 

• Like 1

How did you do your spiral tree? So nice! I've got Can-Can with 64 channels as well- it's funny because I did some similar effects with the talking as well. Will get my posted to Facebook and send you the link to compare! 

We used 16 channels for the spiral tree.  Each strand/channel has 250 lights (4,000 lights total).  We used a 12' pole and attached it to a weighted support pole dug ~2' in the ground.  At the top of the tree we have a circular wooden cutout with 8 holes drilled out.  From here we used ~17' bailing wire for each of the 8 support lines.  With all 16 strands zip tied to the top of the circle, we hoist the pole in the support pole, attach the 8 stands of bailing wire to 8 tent stakes 5' from the pole, then run a final strand of bailing wire along the ground to each of the tent stakes.  The final part is the best where we grab a bunch of neighbors and play a rousing rendition of 'ring around the rosy' until the lights are spiral wrapped (about 2.5 turns).

All in all my tree costs me maybe $20 in supplies, not including lights.  It's held up very well over the years and never fallen over.  The visualizer has a very easy addition for a spiral tree so programming is simple!

Hope this helps, and thanks for the feedback!

Great job on your display!  You did a lot of cool stuff with 64 channels.  A couple of questions:  

1)Did you use PVC pipe for your driveway arches?  If so, what size and how many sections?  I ask because I tried using 3/4" PVC in 3-1-ft sections and kept busting couplings, so I switched to 1/2" but ended up needing a support in the middle of each arch or it would sag from the weight of the lights.

2)Is each driveway arch freestanding, or did you connect them together with support pieces?  I had to run support pieces parallel to the driveway to connect the arches, then attach the one closest to the house to the garage using fishing line and stake the ones closest to sdiewalk to keep the wind from destroying them.

3) I love what you did with the incandescents on the house siding!  How many channels did you use on that element?  

• 10 months later...

We have 48 channels but use a singing face for 7 of them. I'd love to get a copy though. wenayer@yahoo.com 

Thanks!!

We have 48 channels but use a singing face for 7 of them. I'd love to get a copy though. wenayer@yahoo.com 

Thanks!!

You should have mail. I take no credit what so ever for the sequencing, it was pulled from the FTP site. All I did was adjust it to fit my show. I hope you can use it to help you out. Again, no credit to me and a BIG thank you to the original person who shared it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/2/2016 at 3:21 AM, slim00209 said:

I'm not sure how many channels that you have but I have a 16 channel version that I would share. One of my favorites.

Hey slim00209 - Could you share the 16 channel that you have. Question - do you have a star on top? If so is it plugged into another controller or to just one of the strands?

chesterlcampbell@gmail.com

Thanks

5 hours ago, slim00209 said:

You should have mail. I take no credit what so ever for the sequencing, it was pulled from the FTP site. All I did was adjust it to fit my show. I hope you can use it to help you out. Again, no credit to me and a BIG thank you to the original person who shared it.

Slim00209 - Do you have the FTP site you got this from?

Thanks

Slim00209 - Do you have the FTP site you got this from?

Thanks

Give me a few minutes and I will send it to you. I have 5 foot PVC star that sits on top of my roof. It is connected to one one channel on my controller. As for the site, it's no longer up and running. I guess it was taken down a couple of years ago.

On 05/11/2016 at 5:54 PM, slim00209 said:

Got it, Thank you!

• The topic was locked