Light-O-Rama Forums

Can S4 run 60,000 channels?

mark obermiller

I'm planning for next year.  I have mainly incandescent mini lights and I want to convert to all LED.  After checking pricing on LEDS verses pixels, I find that I can buy pixels, controllers, power supplies, and so on for about the same cost as pixels.

The issue?  Can LOR S 4 handle 60,000 channels.  Right now I'm running around 9,000 for which 7,104 channels are for my pixel tree which is a 32 X 74 resolution.  The rest are pixels on arches and raw DMX and LOR channels.  A couple of my files are approaching 1 gig in size.  These large files take a while to load and save. 

When I run the sequences I have currently, I have no lag or issues.  My show computer is a very powerful machine so my computer is capable but is S 4?

I don't know about the max channels but you can daisy chain up to 240 LOR controllers. So if you chained 240 CCP's together that would be 72,000.

I don't know about the max channels but you can daisy chain up to 240 LOR controllers. So if you chained 240 CCP's together that would be 72,000.

That would be a lot of channels!  Do it!  72,000 for 2016; its only money

I am running 18k channels now.

Originally I had lots of lag during video playback on my matrix (and even during a static picture moving across the matrix). It was originally rendered at 20fps. I scaled it down to 10fps and it seems good.

Xlights has no issues running the show at any fps setting.

My computer is more than capable.

I think the issue is s4, it cannot hang.

I love sequencing in LOR, but it looks like I need to find something else to actually run the show.