Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Props in Visualizer

Avind

Another help item please.....   I would like to create a fixture / prop for RGB lights using DMX.  The item I am trying to create is a wreath with two sections.  The inner section has 54 lights in three rows of 18.  The outer wreath has 99 lights in 3 rows of 33.  I can use the "Insert Fixture from Symbol" function which will allow me to add 16 lights with no specification regarding where the first pixel is.  Because I am dealing with circles, the DMX line tool does not work.  I have no desire to do this by generating 153 individual bulbs.  Does anyone know of a method to create a fixture that will allow me to complete this without hours of painful dot making?

Here is a short blurb about a circle drawing program I have been playing with.   Not ready to be released but I will assist anyone who needs a fixture drawn.

• 4 weeks later...

@It'sMeBob - Thanks!  I have been playing around with something similar though for some reason the bulbs do not line up in Visualizer.  I am going to test the actual prop as soon as my new shop gets set up.  I had a new shed installed in my yard that is 10' x 16' which will be my new storage area and workshop.  I will try to post how the actual wreath looks when I get it set up.  

I can build a circle wizard into the Viz if there is that big of a need for it.  How many pixels wide are typical circles?  How are they normally wired?

You should also be able to do this with the Arch wizard.  Use it to create 1/2 of the circle, then copy paste that fixture.  Use the drawing handles to rotate/invert/etc the other half and put them together.  Add both to a single prop and voila.  Circle.

Mike is there any plans for a burst type star. I think the PE calls it "Spokes". I have been ask a number of times to share mine. I don't mind sharing, but if there's enough interest, that would be a good one to add also.

Mike is there any plans for a burst type star. I think the PE calls it "Spokes". I have been ask a number of times to share mine. I don't mind sharing, but if there's enough interest, that would be a good one to add also.

What about the FAN (arch) wizard ?  It can do 1/2 of one and then you can copy paste invert it for the other half.  Does that do what you need?

What about the FAN (arch) wizard ?  It can do 1/2 of one and then you can copy paste invert it for the other half.  Does that do what you need?

Yes, it takes a bit of tweaking, but it can be done with the fan.

Ok, if it's a pain, give me a picture and description of how it should best work and let me see what I can get into the wish list.

I can build a circle wizard into the Viz if there is that big of a need for it.  How many pixels wide are typical circles?  How are they normally wired?

You should also be able to do this with the Arch wizard.  Use it to create 1/2 of the circle, then copy paste that fixture.  Use the drawing handles to rotate/invert/etc the other half and put them together.  Add both to a single prop and voila.  Circle.

I have been thinking about your comment and this may be an idea that is worth pursuing.  If the circle could be set to be different number of pixels then this could be a very useful tool.  I usually start wiring mine from the top though I am open to doing this in whatever manner the most people find useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to create a DMX pixel circle as well and not getting there. Trying the arch wizard, if it would allow "1" pixel per segment instead of the current minimum of two, then I'm thinking it would allow us to make half an arch, build another identical one and turn it upside down. The idea is to use a single 50 pixel strip and make it into a continuous circle or 150 channels on a single universe. Similar for an arch with two strips or 100 pixels/300 channels. I can do a straight line but not an arch. Obviously the easy way would be for the software to be able to create a circle, size/diameter selection, number of pixels per segment down to 1 and total count at the desired. Yes, I understand that as easy as that sounds here, its not so easy in the software source code as other complexities can be created.