Light-O-Rama Forums

video projection

craigecooper

Had to ask the experts.   I've seen the video projections, specifically on a gable end of garage.   So triangle shaped video.  The video looks cutoff cleanly along the edges with nothing spilling over displaying on the roof.  How is that done?  or is it just not visible where the 16:9 spills over the side ? 

thanks,

Craig

Craig, 

If it's a simple shape you want to project on like the triangle of a gable or like the circle of a wreath screen, you'll need to create a matte. You can usually do a simple matte in most editing programs, or create something a little more detailed in Photoshop. The matte will prevent the image from spilling over into the areas you don't want to illuminate, and then you resize and reposition your image to fit the matte shape. Any more complex than this, and you want to get into projection mapping like Dennis mentioned.

Mike

They create a mask, which is a shape, created in a program like Paint, Paint.net, Photoshop, Illustrator or any program you can draw in. They put this mask on a layer above their video in any video editor, and it blocks some of the video. There is a hole in the mask in the area that they wish to project onto.

Most people use a short throw projector after you map your house the projector has to always be in the exact location for the mapping effect to work .

For whole houses, you need along throw projector, but for garages and things a short throw projector is best.

They are quite expensive.

For whole houses, you need along throw projector, but for garages and things a short throw projector is best.

They are quite expensive.

You are incorrect I think you just mixed the two projector types up. A long throw is what they use in class rooms and offices and it is your basic projector. A long throw is exactly what it sounds like you need to place it back further to get a bigger image, to do a whole house with a long throw it would have to be placed across the street. 

A short throw projector is best for a whole house projection mapping because it projects a bigger image with the projected being a shorter distance away. 

So in short:

if projecting on a garage or screen a long throw projector should work in most cases.

if projecting on a house or vary large surface or with a lack of space to put the projector further back go with a short throw.

Another thing to factor in is lumens (brightness) of the projector it would be best to get at least a 2600 lumen projector if you are going to project onto a whole house.

I would personally recommend 3000 lumens for that but like I said 2600 will work.

Also think about the throw distance of your projector, not all projectors are equal and just because it is a short throw projector there may be other projectors with better throw distances for the same cost. To calculate the throw I recommend this tool: http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Hope this helps!

You are incorrect I think you just mixed the two projector types up. A long throw is what they use in class rooms and offices and it is your basic projector. A long throw is exactly what it sounds like you need to place it back further to get a bigger image, to do a whole house with a long throw it would have to be placed across the street. 

A short throw projector is best for a whole house projection mapping because it projects a bigger image with the projected being a shorter distance away. 

So in short:

if projecting on a garage or screen a long throw projector should work in most cases.

if projecting on a house or vary large surface or with a lack of space to put the projector further back go with a short throw.

Another thing to factor in is lumens (brightness) of the projector it would be best to get at least a 2600 lumen projector if you are going to project onto a whole house.

I would personally recommend 3000 lumens for that but like I said 2600 will work.

Also think about the throw distance of your projector, not all projectors are equal and just because it is a short throw projector there may be other projectors with better throw distances for the same cost. To calculate the throw I recommend this tool: http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Hope this helps!

Actually you are right. I am used to short throw projectors that go right above the screen such as this one.

Epson-EB-595Wi-2.jpg

Projectors can be bought on Ebay. Keep an eye on the Lumens depending on the distance of Throw. I have 1 acre in the front of the property, so I am looking at 4000 lumens. :)

And yes, Disney Uses Christie Projectors, which are in the 10s of thousands each. :D