Light-O-Rama Forums

The Great Christmas light fight can stick it up their ...

TitusCarnathan

The hobby is less about Christmas now than it was 10 years ago.

Don't believe it? How many non-Christmas songs are in our shows?

I agree....I am 90% Christmas songs and 10% THX Intro.

We just got finished with the first weeks offering and both the wife and I thought the static displays were better than the non-christmasy techno (or whatever it's called these days) garbage.

Like most "reality" shows, you watch for a awhile and the charm starts to wear off at various rates. Finding that for this season not a fan of Tonya and her choices. Her 2 winers were my 3 and 4th picks.

For this season, do seem the producers are keying into the dancing crowds more, which I have no interest in.

Was supprised to see a cold climate entry...Duluth MN.  Living 2 hours south, I looked at the live trees to see when the footage was shot.  No leaves so had to be 1st of Oct or later.

Wish I lived near the neighborhood light show in Hawaii that had the luau going.  Fresh cooked pig every night sounds yummy!!!

While I'm happy for the contestants and the energy, the bottom line is anyone reasonably can put on a display for one night, and go all out if necessary...complete with hot air balloons, luau, firetrucks, dancers, etc....  

It's not a show until its repeatable every night, in my opinion.

• Like 1

It's not a show until its repeatable every night, in my opinion.

good point; hard to do every night for 5- 6 weeks;

still, very cool to watch, each of them

No matter what, I will watch the shows to get ideas. There are "some" good ideas in all that mess. :)

But cheerleaders and street dancers? Not a chance!!!

I watch for ideas too, but they are showing less and less of the actual display as every episode comes along, sorry but I don't care about there personal family problems, just tell me about how you built your stuff and let me see the actually display and not the crowd reactions or the annoying hosts.

I have only 1 non Christmas song in my show. Let it go. Then again. it is a winter song.This year everyone is all about the Star Wars theme. Wife asked if i was gonna do it, nope, not gonna happen, no way.

I have the THX minion intro, but it does have the pixel tree on the minions fixing the broken Christmas tree. I did the Star Wars theme and honestly am not that impressed with it. I also have the Frozen mix and in summer with Olaf singing in my yard, still the little kids favorite this year too. And I have God bless the USA, to support our troops and for mine and her family members currently in the service

• Like 1

No matter what, I will watch the shows to get ideas. There are "some" good ideas in all that mess. :)

But cheerleaders and street dancers? Not a chance!!!

How about some dancers from the local "Nudist Colony" every night in the show?    Think that'll put ya over the top? :P:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I watch for ideas too, but they are showing less and less of the actual display as every episode comes along, sorry but I don't care about there personal family problems, just tell me about how you built your stuff and let me see the actually display and not the crowd reactions or the annoying hosts.

I can sure agree with that!   Too much blah, blah, blah and not enough of how it was done, built, etc.

Edited by Orville

How about some dancers from the local "Nudist Colony" every night in the show?    Think that'll put ya over the top? :P:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope. That's not to my Christmas liking for the public. Come on Orville. Keep it family friendly :). Although I know you were kidding.

I watch for ideas too, but they are showing less and less of the actual display 

You need to look at what is going on in the display, as short as it may be. Making it happen is another adventure. One step at a time. I've been doing this for coming up 10 years. I'm seeing and learning even if it's just strobe placement (hint). 

Guys and Gals !  Chill out.

The show as not created or intended to appeal to light designers.  It was created to appeal to the average Joe (or Jane).  As such the stuff that we look for is minimal to them.  Think about how a Forensic Scientist looks at  any of the CSI shows (likely throws up after every episode if they would even look at one).

For us, we want exactness and setup information, for most of those that stop by to see your show or google it, they want pretty and fun and could care less what brand controller was used only that is looks and sounds nice and makes them SMILE.  Remember what season this is anyway.

Merry Christmas to ALL !!.

• Like 4

What is Christmas? I don't see many happy birthday songs. For me it's about providing entertainment. Let it go was huge last year. To hear dozens of kids standing out front singing... Still makes me smile.

This year is Star Wars.

How do you do a traditional Christmas with pixels and such? Maybe we should go back to traditional decorating. C9 outlines with candles in the windows (which I totally enjoy).

I like the TV show but understand its motivated by keeping viewers engaged to watch commercials.

I have only seen the first two, was the community one and the solo one. Thought the California guy was one of us, from a different thread. They didn't show much of his dancing lights at all but I don't see how he didn't win. Had all three categories nailed and that place was just amazing. Even after 30 years I couldn't see myself even attempting something like that. Yes there is a lot of space for simple old fashioned decorations, to each his won. But by the show rules they listed he should have won. Total gyp IMO

What is Christmas? I don't see many happy birthday songs. For me it's about providing entertainment. Let it go was huge last year. To hear dozens of kids standing out front singing... Still makes me smile.

This year is Star Wars.

How do you do a traditional Christmas with pixels and such? Maybe we should go back to traditional decorating. C9 outlines with candles in the windows (which I totally enjoy).

I like the TV show but understand its motivated by keeping viewers engaged to watch commercials.

Perhaps this hobby turned down a road it should have avoided.

Bruno Mars and uptown funk? Sorry, I gives that song a thumbs down.

Star Wars? This year, it gets a pass. If the next "episode" is out this time next year, it still gets a pass.

/Star Wars ties into Christmas due to the Christmas Special that was aired decades ago.

//when you have people jumping into the hobby strictly for the attention (or a shot at a $50k cash prize), it's time to reevaluate priorities

• Like 4

The show is too staged now.  They should make it an impromptu visit, without notifying the house months prior.  Also, they should change the name of the show from the Great Christmas Light Fight, to maybe Christmas lights around the United States.  No "winner", no money, just displays of homes with lights.  ABC has lost the real reason why we love doing the lights.  It is not about us.  It is about spreading the cheer to others.  I will watch this show on the 21st, as to give support to my Elk Grove, CA neighbor as his house will be on the show.  I am almost certain, he will not deviate much from his already spectacular show.

Thank you for the kind support. 

I can tell you that I did nothing for the show that wasn't planned before they asked me to do it.  My display is the same every night it plays, (3 nights a week).. and the same as I played it for the cameras.  (me being in the front of the display during part of a song instead of greeting traffic is the only exception). 

I have only four songs and they are all Christmas themed.  (have to keep it short due to traffic).

So I guess the bottom line is that not everyone changed it up for the cameras.. :)

• Like 4

Thank you for the kind support. 

I can tell you that I did nothing for the show that wasn't planned before they asked me to do it.  My display is the same every night it plays, (3 nights a week).. and the same as I played it for the cameras.  (me being in the front of the display during part of a song instead of greeting traffic is the only exception). 

I have only four songs and they are all Christmas themed.  (have to keep it short due to traffic).

So I guess the bottom line is that not everyone changed it up for the cameras.. :)

I enjoyed seeing your display. I've been watching your videos since your first year. Congrats on a great job. I was pulling for you.

• Like 1

Guys and Gals !  Chill out.

The show as not created or intended to appeal to light designers.  It was created to appeal to the average Joe (or Jane).  As such the stuff that we look for is minimal to them.  Think about how a Forensic Scientist looks at  any of the CSI shows (likely throws up after every episode if they would even look at one).

For us, we want exactness and setup information, for most of those that stop by to see your show or google it, they want pretty and fun and could care less what brand controller was used only that is looks and sounds nice and makes them SMILE.  Remember what season this is anyway.

Merry Christmas to ALL !!.

Jerry they have basically said that if you have a "Normal Display" you are a "lighting No" I think the majority of us here are a Lighting No according to them.

Edited by bdeditch

Jerry they have basically said that if you have a "Normal Display" you are a "lighting No" I think the majority of us here are a Lighting No according to them.

See below

Edited by plasmadrive

No what I am saying is the show is the show and not geared to thousands of lights synced to music. If you watch the show watch it for what it is (entertainment and an opportunity to sell advertising space).

Most of us are lighting geeks and look at displays in a very different way than many.  What impresses us is not necessarily what impresses the producers of the show or necessarily the average viewer.

I've been on the RGB wagon since the first strings were released (about the same time as LED's).