Light-O-Rama Forums

The Great Christmas light fight can stick it up their ...

TitusCarnathan

To start the Great Christmas light fight is getting annoying to begin with. Is this a Dance show or is it supposed to be about light displays. That's actually irritating unless those people are going to be dancing every night in your display from beginning to end it's not a part of your display.

I can go on about a few other things but I'll just bite my words for now.

The thing that ticked me off is the post on their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/TheGreatChristmasLightFight/photos/a.947516475319861.1073741828.943609729043869/951056548299187/?type=3&theater

I guess unless you pay a lot of money to win in this show (Which is another thing that gets me with this pissing match) you're a Lighting no. But if you dump a lot of money to win the show you automatically become a PRO.

Rant temporary off.

• Like 5

It's all about money and who can spend the most and recover a possible fraction of what they spent.   Some of the "winners" they've picked would never have been my choice, but someone just might be padding pockets somewhere along the way.

I would never be on that show and yes, I was asked once.  Turned them down, just don't that kind of exposure, not that I'd get it, as my modest little display would probably be pushed right over into their "Lighting NO" category.

• Like 3

Dumbest show i have seen. What they are showing is Las Vegas glitter, not a real light show. Last week they have some guy that has fire balls in his show, what the hell does that have to do with Christmas? The first year they had some real shows, then it turned in to a "who can create a better Las Vegas show". Just so it is known, i am against lasers in a show as well. Had a neighbor offer me a couple of those laser star lights things that are people are buying up, turned it down. My show will remain a Christmas Light Show, i will not turn it into a Vegas show. Oh, and i wont build no lame artificial  castles and fill the yard with Blow molds.

• Like 3

They also need to do a better job of matching similar displays, previous years they put larsens and the loya display in 2 different shows, no display can keep up with the money they spent they should be going head to head not against the average homes they had them against... Sorry but neither one of them is actually putting there own display up, they have a hundred of there workers "volunteering" to install it not the same as the guy putting lights on his roof

Wish I lived near the neighborhood light show in Hawaii that had the luau going.  Fresh cooked pig every night sounds yummy!!!

• Like 1

Those types of shows have never really been about reality. The displays, elements, people, events have all been chosen and embellished to attract viewers. I try to keep that in mind when I watch the show (since my wife turns it on every week). But it does depress me to see the hobby presented this way.

That Facebook post blatantly states what the show has been implying for years. The whole "go big or go home" attitude about Christmas lights really pisses me off. Personally I enjoy seeing every single house that's decorated. I used to think those shows promoted decorating. But [Foul Language Used] like that is going to make people feel ashamed to decorate.

Last week they have some guy that has fire balls in his show, what the hell does that have to do with Christmas? 

And I ask the same thing when I see non-Christmas music being sequenced and played in Christmas displays.

But then again, TSO uses fireballs. :)

• Like 2

I think a lot of displays now could be put up anytime during the year and run for whatever holiday or event.

To each their own but this time of year I enjoy Christmasy displays.

This show is no longer about Christmas lights imho.

• Like 2

Ever Notice: they don't go to places that are real snowy?

Just my 2cents.

Probably because they film these back in the late summer and early fall to give them time to edit and put together for the TV showing.

• Like 1

Ever Notice: they don't go to places that are real snowy?

Just my 2cents.

Probably because they film these back in the late summer and early fall to give them time to edit and put together for the TV showing.

They film in October, but you'll notice 75% are below the snow belt anyway. I could put a light grid on my roof but one snow storm and you won't see it the entire season lol

I think a lot of displays now could be put up anytime during the year and run for whatever holiday or event.

To each their own but this time of year I enjoy Christmasy displays.

This show is no longer about Christmas lights imho.

The hobby is less about Christmas now than it was 10 years ago.

Don't believe it? How many non-Christmas songs are in our shows?

The hobby is less about Christmas now than it was 10 years ago.

Don't believe it? How many non-Christmas songs are in our shows?

I have only 1 non Christmas song in my show. Let it go. Then again. it is a winter song.

This year everyone is all about the Star Wars theme. Wife asked if i was gonna do it, nope, not gonna happen, no way.

• Like 1

The show is too staged now.  They should make it an impromptu visit, without notifying the house months prior.  Also, they should change the name of the show from the Great Christmas Light Fight, to maybe Christmas lights around the United States.  No "winner", no money, just displays of homes with lights.  ABC has lost the real reason why we love doing the lights.  It is not about us.  It is about spreading the cheer to others.  I will watch this show on the 21st, as to give support to my Elk Grove, CA neighbor as his house will be on the show.  I am almost certain, he will not deviate much from his already spectacular show.

They film in October, but you'll notice 75% are below the snow belt anyway. I could put a light grid on my roof but one snow storm and you won't see it the entire season lol

Ya come up here to the Great White North!

You don't see my miles of extension cords, not because I hide them but because they are covered in snow!

All those people decorate in their tee shirts! I wear a tee shirt...and a shirt and a sweater and jacket and a coat.

I would like to see real snow in one of those displays.

Ya come up here to the Great White North!

You don't see my miles of extension cords, not because I hide them but because they are covered in snow!

All those people decorate in their tee shirts! I wear a tee shirt...and a shirt and a sweater and jacket and a coat.

I would like to see real snow in one of those displays.

I don't think abc takes any entries outside of the u.s. sadly,

I wish they would bring the great halloween fright fight back as I only do a halloween light show now.

Edited by canadianchristmas