Light-O-Rama Forums

Copy/Paste between sequences

Steven

I purchased "Christmas Canon" from Brian, and now I want to get it into my display, but I have to make some modifications. The 1st modification is because my pixel tree is 24x50, where the sequence I purchased is 24x25, with a globe. The 2nd modification is because my audio file has been chopped using Audacity to remove verses from 6 places, making a shorter sequence.

I'm guessing the best way to deal with both these issues is to copy the scenes and actions from the original, and paste them into the new sequence.

I tried doing this by bringing up 2 instances of SSS, copying from one, and using the Load/Save Clipboard dialog. The trouble is that after I save the clipboard, I brought up the same dialog in the other instance, but "MyClip.scb" does not appear in the list.

Am I doing this the right way, or is there a better way to copy/paste between 2 sequences?

I don't think there is. I had asked Brian this a while ago. The only way I've found that works is to copy the section you want then close the sequence then open up the new sequence and paste the section where you want it. It takes a awhile but gets the job done. I wish it were able to have two sequences open like in SE. Would make it sooooo much easier to copy and paste.

BTW.... SuperStar allows you to stretch or shrink the pixel count based on the number of pixels you have. You might consider this instead instead of copy and paste if that's all you need to do.

To to deal with the copy/paste issue:

The list of .scb files in the Load/Save Clipboard dialog box only updates when you save a file, so the workaround is to save a dummy file and then the new file will appear in the list.

However, there is a better approach so that you don't have to deal with that.

Keep the original sequence but use "Save As" to save a new one labeled something like "awesome_sequence_24x50_shortened"

Then just remove things from this sequence to create your shortened one. But it just occurred to me that the problem you are facing is that you want to use your shortened audio file to sequence to, but when you do the sequence gets shortened and you lose the effects beyond the end of the shortened audio file. It sounds like you already have an audio editing program such as audacity or wave pad. Use that program to add some silence to the end of your shortened audio file. So you would end up doing the following:

Open the original sequence

Click on the File menu and select "Open Audio File" and open the shortened audio file with silence at the end

Use "save as" to save the sequence to something like "awesome_sequence_24x25_shortened"

Throw out effects, and move things around to fit your shortened audio file

Do everything at the original 24x25 resolution of the sequence

Click on the File menu and select "Open Audio File" and open the shortened audio file without silence at the end

Now, to deal with the different resolution of your pixels, get the most recent release of the software and do the following:

Open the sequence

Import a visualization of your 24x50 tree

Click on the Tools menu and select "Layout"

Enable the Pixel Extender

Set the following:

X Origin = 0, Y Origin=15

Width = 24     Length=25

Stretched / Shrunk Length=50

The above will stretch the sequence from 25 to 50 pixel length starting at a Y Origin of 15 which is where the ribbons start just below the Globe.

Click on the File menu and select "Save As" and save the sequence with a name like "awesome_sequence_24x50"

Note that when using the pixel extender this way, the effects keep their coordinates for the 24x25 resolution, it is at the time that you play the sequence that things get stretched to the 24x50 resolution.

Open the sequence

Import a visualization of your 24x50 tree

Click on the Tools menu and select "Layout"

Enable the Pixel Extender

Set the following:

X Origin = 0, Y Origin=15

Width = 24     Length=25

Stretched / Shrunk Length=50

When I try to set the Stretched/Shrunk Length to 50, I get a dialog that says: "Please enter an integer between 0 and 35."

And I just learned something else: If you have 2 instances of SuperStar Sequencer running at the same time, and you open different sequences on each, it will play the same audio file on both, even if they have different audio files.

Before setting the values in the Pixel Extender be sure to import a visualization of you 24x50 tree and then it will let you type 50 for the "stretched / shrunk length"

As for the audio files when running two instances of superstar you are a correct. It is a bug.