Light-O-Rama Forums

Comparison Pictures of DMX Led's vs Flood Lights

randallr

I took some pictures tonight of :

Red and Green Floods (100w); ColorSplash Jr with and without Diffuser; ColorSplash 196 without Diffuser... (It was cold, but it is a start....)

The fixtures were on the ground at 11' from brick wall in backyard.

http://andrewschristmas.com/pictures/dmx.htm

The led's are so much more vivid in their colors.

They are a little bit more than the color splashes, but I love my ADJ P64 LED Pro's... they are substantially brighter than a 100 watt flood.

http://www.americandj.com/product.asp?ProductIDNumber=1653&cat=L.E.D.

Here's the lens I made:

lens.jpg

And here are shots of red, green and blue without and then with the lens.

redp64_nolens.jpg
greenp64_nolens.jpg
bluep64_nolens.jpg

now, with the lens
redp64.jpg
greenp64.jpg
bluep64.jpg

How did you keep the diffuser cuts from being nasty.. Maybe it's just the sheet I bought from HomeDepot, but it's like a broken windshield, crystals just want to flake off.. I cut plenty big, then used my soldering gun to melt it around can... (should have maybe used the moto-tool with the sheetrock cutting bit)

The Jr's are definately not as bright as the basic flood light. If I'd put a diffuser in front of the 196's, I think they would have been close... But I'm planning on using closer spacing on the Jr's so I can do a colorchange along the house from one side to the other....

The 64's have close to the number of LEDs (181) as ColorSplash (196), but I noticed they are 10mm. I think the Chauvet LED's use the smaller LED's. That would probably account for the higher price....

I also screwed up buying PVC... Since the Jr is slightly less than 5" diameter, I asked for 5" PVC.. That apparently is only Very Thick wall water well casing and cost me almost $4 per foot.. If I'd go 6", it's standard SCH40 and is way cheaper... (I only bought a 4' scrap piece of 5")

A little extra space won't hurt, since I'm going to have to build a bunch....

randallr wrote:

I took some pictures tonight of :

Red and Green Floods (100w); ColorSplash Jr with and without Diffuser; ColorSplash 196 without Diffuser... (It was cold, but it is a start....)

The fixtures were on the ground at 11' from brick wall in backyard.

http://andrewschristmas.com/pictures/dmx.htm

Thanks for posting these pictures! :)

Anyone have the 200B? It's the only one we're missing! :D

I'm planning on putting the 200B's with their wider angle on the porch.. Haven't ordered them yet... Waiting for payday... (And my wife to not be in the room watching....)

randallr wrote:

I'm planning on putting the 200B's with their wider angle on the porch.. Haven't ordered them yet... Waiting for payday... (And my wife to not be in the room watching....)

:D:D:D:D:D

Man those diffusers are night and day on the P64. Those floodlights though give the ColorSplash Jr a run for their money. Did you get any pics with the ColorSplash 196 with the diffuser or did the cold get you before you could get a chance?

I didn't video the diffuser on the 196. I had a piece a few days ago and tried it- it always helps with the dispersion.

The American DJ lights have the 10mm LED's instead of the 5mm, so the P64 really puts out the light...

But the Jr.s are 1/4 the price and much smaller... Thats why I picked them- putting 12 of them where 6 of the 100watt floods were.. Then I'll use a couple of the 200b's to cover the front porch.

I'll definately use the diffusers on all of them- you loose a little brightness but it really evens out the light.

Yea those P64 better put out some lights for $400 a pop.....:D

I didn't realize those ColorSplash Jrs. were that cheap. I found them for as low as $80 but really haven't looked much more then that. I wouldn't mind having a few but man those flood lights give those Jrs a run for their money as far as light output. The diffuser really helps but it cuts the intensity down though.

I have built these gang boxes that house two floods lights a peiece. Each box has one green and one red flood in it. I have them wired up to where all the reds are daisy chained together, then all the reds are daisy chained together from each box. So I can control 5 green floods with one channel and 5 red floods with one channels. So the only down fall to all that is you can't do any chase effects since each fixture isn't its own channel, just the color as whole is. So you can only fade back and forth between the two colors which is fine and is nice I am only able to spend 2 channels for 10 total floods isn't two bad. With the Jrs though I would have a lot more control but I would be losing intensity looking at your pics. Man that is a tought choice. Right now that would have to be a back burner light that I would purchase if I had the money and didn't need anything else. I would love to have some though.

At cheaplights.com you can buy the Jrs in packs of 4 and 8. I found an 8 pack from centerstage lighting on ebay for $360 plus shipping...

Wow $385 for a set of 8! I might have just moved that up on the burner. ..:)

Let me ask you this since I really don't need 8 but for that price I am sure I can find room for the other 3...:D I currently only use 5 Floods of each color 3 on one side 2 on the other. Would these be bright enough to replace the floods? I know I have seen the pictures but in person are they a little different.

I am sure since I will have 8 I can put 4 where I would normally have 3 or even 5 where I normally have 3 and put the other 3 where I would have 2.

It looks like a really good deal that's no question and you will gain a lot of function and control like changing colors with just one fixture and stobe, etc. So that brings me to my next question. I know LED don't take much power to run but do you know exactly how many watts and amps each fixture pull and how weatherproof are they?

In case anyone else is interested in the power output of the Colorsplashes so they can plan them into their display. They are 24 watts and 0.20 amps per fixture.

Anyone know how weatherproof if any these fixtures are?

They aren't. Vented enclosures... 6.25" outside diameter (196) makes it a problem for the PVC pipe enclosure. Guess it'd have to be 8" pvc.

And on the subject of weatherproof... You aren't going to find much DMX controlled stuff that is weatherproof. It's almost all designed for indoor shows.

I didn't think they were but figured since they were LED maybe the lens cover and casing was somewhat weatherproof. The reason I ask is I know or at least think the COLORado lights are somewhat weatherproof because I have seem them in action in the rain before and on their site it says they have a UV casing so I can only assume they are weatherproof but not real sure. Those are also a grand a light though so out of the budget.

What if you mounted them in a box with a plywood bottom. They rotor channels on each side for plexi glass to fit in them You could glue the top and sides of the plexi glass together and then it would just sit right on top and fit snugly in the plywood. So when you needed access to the light you just lift the plexi glass cover up off the plywood.

The COLORado's are fully weatherproof. In fact, they use those frozen into ice sculptures to illumninate them. They are also way out of my budget.

I just bought some storage tubs and cut a hole in one end and placed them over the top of all my P64 Led Pro's this season and it worked out fine. I placed them all on patios and the driveway rather than the grass. I know some people use Par Cans outside and just spray them with a good coat of silicone. Of course, those don't have the circuitry of led's to be concerned with. But, the casing on my led par cans are all aluminum, so rust isn't an issue.

bhays wrote:

They are also way out of my budget.

You would spend $900 for a light but the extra $100 is out of your budget....;)

If I get these which it looks like I will probably, they will replace my floods which in that case will be under the awaning of the house and protected by bushes. I would still make sure the are protected though in some form.

I like the fact they are low power and I will get a lot more function out of them then a flood light. My only concern is the intensity of them compared to a flood light. It seems like the flood light is brighter. They will be only a foot away from the house pretty much pointing straight up. They would be spread out along a wall that is only about I would say 15' long. So would you say that 5 of them would do good with them spaced every 3'?

Texan78 wrote:

You would spend $900 for a light but the extra $100 is out of your budget....;)

Huh? I paid $299 each for my P64 Led Pro's and the Colorado 1 is $849 per... $900 for a moving head is one thing, $900 for a single led wash is quite another!

I was kidding with you because you posted about that moving head that was $900. I haven't seen the Colorados for cheaper then $999.00 but I also haven't looked much ether because they are to much so I didn't even consider them. They are also 3 lights one though. I guess if you had the money they would be worth it because they do put out a lot of light. I saw one this year in action at a display and they are really nice. Don't know if they are worth a grand though.