Light-O-Rama Forums

My 2015 Xmas display

Aputernut

Trying once again to post my new Utube of our display will try to inset it here: https://youtu.be/U5xi34CZa8A well I think perhaps I finally got it so, Enjoy ya'll, let me know if you do. We do all this work to bring joy to others, and yes it may be "old school" but folks are raving about hundreds of passerby (lookers)

• 2 weeks later...

No replys?? Hmmm! well had about 850 vehicles drive by stop take pics./ videos and my Utube is up to 653 so many are enjoying my display and so many have shouted out to DH how amazing it is so your lack of replys were not needed after all. Thanks anyway!​

Very nice. I like the horse and carriage, I have one like that but I need to re-wire it. The long icicles blowing in the wind make a nice affect too.

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to report our display was a huge success had 1,150 vehicles that we actually counted may have missed some? and my utube is up to 750 and counting. It was so satisfying and fun for us to see so many folks enjoying our display, many videos made and photos taken sure wish we could see them?  LOL

I am happy to report our display was a huge success had 1,150 vehicles that we actually counted may have missed some? and my utube is up to 750 and counting. It was so satisfying and fun for us to see so many folks enjoying our display, many videos made and photos taken sure wish we could see them?  LOL

I don't want to be the one to burst your bubble or be the one guy, but...

I just don't think it's appropriate or necessary to share with us the 1,150 cars that passed by or the number of views on YouTube. I feel like when you participate in this holiday tradition, success should not be dependent on viewer count or audience total. It should be about the holiday and the success of putting together a show to bring a smile to someone's face (it doesn't matter how many people see your show as long as you had fun setting it up and you are proud of the work you put into your display).

I feel like, when I see statistics like the ones you shared with us, it is more of a way of showboating or bragging to the rest of us and I think you miss the point of the season if you are bragging about your display. I think it's a great display, too. I just feel that throwing stats like that at us is unnecessary, and can be considered rude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't want to be the one to burst your bubble or be the one guy, but...

I just don't think it's appropriate or necessary to share with us the 1,150 cars that passed by or the number of views on YouTube. I feel like when you participate in this holiday tradition, success should not be dependent on viewer count or audience total. It should be about the holiday and the success of putting together a show to bring a smile to someone's face (it doesn't matter how many people see your show as long as you had fun setting it up and you are proud of the work you put into your display).

I feel like, when I see statistics like the ones you shared with us, it is more of a way of showboating or bragging to the rest of us and I think you miss the point of the season if you are bragging about your display. I think it's a great display, too. I just feel that throwing stats like that at us is unnecessary, and can be considered rude.

+1

• Like 2

Know what else is considered rude? Looking for reply's and when you finally get one, not even acknowledge it or say thank you.To think I actually felt sorry for a poor old lady when I made my post and was hoping it would make you feel better that someone had something nice to say even though I think you are definitely looking for praise in the WRONG forum. You do realize all of us do elaborate light shows and not just static displays with elevator music pumped in...RIGHT??? 

In a nutshell ma'am, judging by your follow-up post demeanor, not so much rude comes to mind, more like stuck up.  Good day.   

This lady is crazy lol. I went through some of her other post not even a LOR user. She does t even like blinking and flashing. Just trying boast and show off her "extensive display"

This lady is crazy lol. I went through some of her other post not even a LOR user. She does t even like blinking and flashing. Just trying boast and show off her "extensive display"

I don't think it is nice to call anyone crazy as in my 4 and a half years on this forum I have seen many crazier posts (including some of my own were I have been wrong on things).

I have to agree with you though about the fact that this is a primarily a community based on lighting animation, but by giving new people rude comments like calling them crazy you could potentially scare them away from this hobby. I know if I was called names when I was still a new user on here I would have become very hesitant to post here.

And besides I think we are all a little crazy to do this hobby.  :D

EDIT: sorry if I sounded a bit to much like a admin, I was just thinking back to how intimidating these forums seemed for me when I first started.

Edited by canadianchristmas

Sorry if you think I was bragging, boy do you folks got me all wrong!!!  DH & I simply enjoy sitting in our recliners after he's had his walk around checking lights, to sit and watch all the activity outside our home being recorded on a security monitor and viewing on a 27" monitor seeing folks actually enjoying our display gives us the satisfaction that our efforts were all worth it. We don't sit at a computer running a light show or however you do what you do?  we just relax and watch also keep an eye on what's going on outside our home, having read about so many thefts of xmas items. I guess some folks prefer to declare their success by the donation box they put outside for Charity? yeah right! but talk about Tacky OMG would never think of doing such a thing. when we go out ourselves to see the lights we have had kids or adults run up to the car asking for money, give me a break!!!  so how do you folks know if you effort was worth it, if you don't know how many visitors you have had??  And I got news for ya'll this crazy old lady is also a PC techy and I fix PC problems for folks online all year long and all over the world, and I work for Free so for a crazy lady I am very darn smart! oh and I'm also a writer have several stories published online, what do you do besides run flashing lights or whatever? but we still prefer the  "old school" type xmas display no LOR or whatever for us, and 7 homes on our street even the young couples agree and do the same.  So as we say here in the south you smart comment folks  can all "kiss our girts"

P.S. Putting my show on Utube is a great way for family far away and folks all over the world to see our display and making my video is all my effort and I'm happy each day to see my viewer tally go up, or else what the H... is Utube there for? Don't worry I will remember not to share my tally with ya'll.

what do you do besides run flashing lights or whatever? .
ehh just run multi billion dollar construction projects for one of the largest companies In the world. And a professional bowler. So not much else besides sitting at my computer and watching my lights flash Edited by aesl1982
  • Like 2

Sorry if you think I was bragging, boy do you folks got me all wrong!!!  DH & I simply enjoy sitting in our recliners after he's had his walk around checking lights, to sit and watch all the activity outside our home being recorded on a security monitor and viewing on a 27" monitor seeing folks actually enjoying our display gives us the satisfaction that our efforts were all worth it. We don't sit at a computer running a light show or however you do what you do?  we just relax and watch also keep an eye on what's going on outside our home, having read about so many thefts of xmas items. I guess some folks prefer to declare their success by the donation box they put outside for Charity? yeah right! but talk about Tacky OMG would never think of doing such a thing. when we go out ourselves to see the lights we have had kids or adults run up to the car asking for money, give me a break!!!  so how do you folks know if you effort was worth it, if you don't know how many visitors you have had??  And I got news for ya'll this crazy old lady is also a PC techy and I fix PC problems for folks online all year long and all over the world, and I work for Free so for a crazy lady I am very darn smart! oh and I'm also a writer have several stories published online, what do you do besides run flashing lights or whatever? but we still prefer the  "old school" type xmas display no LOR or whatever for us, and 7 homes on our street even the young couples agree and do the same.  So as we say here in the south you smart comment folks  can all "kiss our girts"

P.S. Putting my show on Utube is a great way for family far away and folks all over the world to see our display and making my video is all my effort and I'm happy each day to see my viewer tally go up, or else what the H... is Utube there for? Don't worry I will remember not to share my tally with ya'll.

I... Idk what to say. You can say whatever you want... it hasn't changed my opinion of who you are.

You could have responded two different ways... you chose the path that has made us feel less sympathetic for you, now that we know how snobby you can be.

Alas, we can't change your ways (only you can)... so when you come asking us for help on how to get started, all you will be looking at are the bridges you burned BECAUSE of this very thread.

Thanks.

So some words exchange from one side to another. Wait... I said from one side to another???

That doesn't sound right. :(

We are all on the same side here on the LOR forum. If it deals with lights, we all are in on it.

So LOR wasn't used in the OPs display. She still shared with us her special moment.

So she shared a few stats with us. She feels proud of them and a little support for her should be returned. (I've seen members here, including myself mention stats)

We may not all agree on what's right and wrong, but if it's her display and she wanted to share that with us, why not just enjoy her passion?

While it's not an animated light show (like we are used to on this forum), it's still a nice display. :)

So to the OP. Keep up the good work, relax and enjoy what you like to do. We all should certainly do the very same thing.

Tom

Edited by Santas Helper

So some words exchange from one side to another. Wait... I said from one side to another???

That doesn't sound right. :(

We are all on the same side here on the LOR forum. If it deals with lights, we all are in on it.

So LOR wasn't used in the OPs display. She still shared with us her special moment.

So she shared a few stats with us. She feels proud of them and a little support for her should be returned. (I've seen members here, including myself mention stats)

We may not all agree on what's right and wrong, but if it's her display and she wanted to share that with us, why not just enjoy her passion?

While it's not an animated light show (like we are used to on this forum), it's still a nice display. :)

So to the OP. Keep up the good work, relax and enjoy what you like to do. We all should certainly do the very same thing.

Tom

I see your point Tom. I can agree to an extent.

Do your display not as a way to brag, but to celebrate the holiday. Do it for the happiness. Do it for you.

• Like 1

I guess some folks prefer to declare their success by the donation box they put outside for Charity? yeah right! but talk about Tacky OMG would never think of doing such a thing.

I'm probably reading this wrong, but do you mean you would never share how much money you raised or you would never put a collection outside because it is tacky?

I'm probably reading this wrong, but do you mean you would never share how much money you raised or you would never put a collection outside because it is tacky?

It's tacky to support foundations that try to improve living conditions for others?

We MUST be reading this wrong.

• Like 1

I would never put a collection box outside, for any reason​, our display at Xmas is for the pure joy of others, what I do for charity is of my own doing and my own money or goods. Also since our entire street is involved in our "old school" displays we do not annoy others with flashing displays or loud, blaring music which often has nothing to do with Christmas at all. (even our laser light show on our cul de sac is soft) not annoying to cars, driving around. So ya'll enjoy yours and we'll enjoy ours along with the many hundreds who come by to see it. And how many of these monies collected go to charity or to pay the elec. bill for the holiday season (Gee I wonder??)  or perhaps to buy more lights? And this ends my replies on this topic, by all you lovely kind folks. (Not) This forum now deleted...

• Like 1