Light-O-Rama Forums

Rope Light Storage

Skyrocket

During the clearance sales this year, I purchased a lot of rope light in anticipation of changing how I light my house next year. I plant to hang 4 colors in parallel but that is another topic.

Since rope light tends to get stiff in the cold weather, I was looking for a way to store the rope lights uncoiled or laid out straight so they would be easier to install next year.

Has anyone done something like this? I have thought of different methods but have not come up with anything that seems like a good canidate. I have a 2 1/2 car garage and could hang it from the ceiling or wall. I have even thought of some kind of a 18' long carrier based on wire shelves or possibly some farming hog panels.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I hope everyone had a good lighting season.

Roger

P.S. I have 80-90 strands (18' long each) so using reels seems to be a bit unpractical. It owuld be costly was well as keep the lights coiled.

You know the trick with Rope light don't yah?....

Wait 2,3, Pause....

Ok, I didn't either until I kept burning out strands of Ropelight cause it was too cold. The trick with rope light is to let it warm up, yes I said warm up. Leave it in the strands of how you bought it and when you go to use it plug it in and let it warm for about 10-20 min. Then the plastic becomes plyable and easy to use.

At the end of the season just use a large Rubbermaid container and feed the rope light into the container like a snake but, don't forget to leave the plugs at an easy access area for the following season so you can warm the rope light up for re-installation.

I've been doing this with the same rope light now for 3 years and it works flawlessy everytime.

-Evan

NWSanta wrote:

You know the trick with Rope light don't yah?....

Wait 2,3, Pause....

Ok, I didn't either until I kept burning out strands of Ropelight cause it was too cold. The trick with rope light is to let it warm up, yes I said warm up. Leave it in the strands of how you bought it and when you go to use it plug it in and let it warm for about 10-20 min. Then the plastic becomes plyable and easy to use.

At the end of the season just use a large Rubbermaid container and feed the rope light into the container like a snake but, don't forget to leave the plugs at an easy access area for the following season so you can warm the rope light up for re-installation.

I've been doing this with the same rope light now for 3 years and it works flawlessy everytime.

-Evan

Very smart idea, I never would have thought about that :?. I know what i'll be doing from now on.

This is why I really like this forum.

Pete.