Light-O-Rama Forums

08-09 Contest idea

cenote

Looking at all theses uTube videos is a great idea for this year. Thought just came to mind, how about next year you sponsor a contest where you supply us a song, and we the public can only use 16 channels to program it in. Might be a great way to get more novice users to program and buy product seeing how wonderful jobs you can do using just 16 channels. Be fun too see what large channel users can come up with too. Would keep the song to less or about a minute.

Just a thought, Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I like that idea!;) Not only from my point of view being a newbie but, seeing you professionals with your skills working only on a 16 ch unit.

Really would like to see this happen in 2008. A great learning curve for all. Come on everybody lets make it happen.

Pete.

Ps: In your case, I would like to see you connect 60,000 lights to a 16ch unit :) lol

Peter B wrote:

Hi Chuck,

Ps: In your case, I would like to see you connect 60,000 lights to a 16ch unit :P lol

Oh, I all ready gave it thought and have an idea how to.;);) Thinking lotas of SSR's, but than again, there would be a rule that you can only use the 16 channel board for controlling lights directly, not other devices :(:(

It'd be pretty hard for me to implement a 16channel sequence - the display is planned and cabled for the show- it'd be a huge undertaking to scale it down...

But in this regard, I'm glad that Dan has the contest with several catagories... It gives everyone a chance...

As far as motivating people to get into LOR- The knife probably cuts both ways... Some people get hooked by seeing a big show... At least that's probably what got me hooked- I had seen several videos, but when I saw Jeff's in Frisco, I placed an order the next day. By having the video section of the LOR website grouped by channels size, people can get an idea of what can be done with each budget....

I think this exercise with a set song and 16 channels would be best done on a mock display. Then it would truly be a test of the sequencers skill and creativity.
Perhaps supplying the outline of a house and yard as a level playing field for everyone. The display elements themselves would be left to the contestant.

Wasn't something like this done at PLUS? How did that work out?

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar thought, good suggestion. How about TSO Wizards of Winter for the song? Seems like everyone is already doing that.

Maybe a quick 1-2 minute song. And then yes, say a finite number, 16 or 32 channels. So yes, 'RandallR' would be limited to 16 channels. I think it'd be very interesting to design with only 16 channels a huge display. Not disappointing at all, but it's a design choice. The real question for big designers, which 16 to use?

Contrast usually works in most designs. I know people like to see lots of lights, but some also like to see variety. I think it would be interesting to see only a small section of a big display lit for a short song.

And no, not 16 different events, but 16 channels! Someone might say, see, I only have 16, it's just that I needed 10 controllers to distribute the electrical load of the lights. :)

That would be a neat contest... I was thinking a 32ch setup.
Everybody used the same song, channel config and animation. Then it would be easy to compare "apples to apples"

Although, I'm not sure about Wizards, if I hear that song one more time I may puke.

Scott

Shubb wrote:

Although, I'm not sure about Wizards, if I hear that song one more time I may puke.

Scott

Thanks Scott, it's only feb., and now I have that song in my head....:X Was trying to make it till at least March.