Light-O-Rama Forums

I just want this !@#$ to work!

David Barnett

This is a repeat of the info I supplied on a Help desk ticket. Posting it here as well. Hoping someone may have a solution.

Or at least troubleshooting ideas. Thanks.

You know, I would just like to get a show running. Really tired of all these issues. OK vented, here we go:

Running CMB24D in DMX mode Unit ID 03. Dip Sw's 8,9 ON. All others OFF. HWU verifies correct address.
24D powered by your 350w power supply, per your recommendations.

1. Have the 24D hooked into a PIxlite 16 DMX/e1.31 controller, using a crossover cable, purchased from seasonal entertainment.
Have the PixLite 16 RS485 jacks set properly in the Advatek utility. the 24D is running off UIniverse 1 on the PL16 RS485 jack.

2. I have the crossover connected to the RS485 jack on the PL16, from there, I connected a cat5 to the crossover female end, then then runs to the 24D RJ45 input jack.

3. I get a steady light on the 24D, so the PL16 is talking to it on the network. However, all of my RGB floods are flashing randomly with random colors.

4. I reset the 24D to defaults. The controller tested fine using the LOR 485 USB dongle.

5. When I play a seq. that has the floods sequenced, they don't do anything while the seq. is playing. When seq. stopped, they go back to random flashing again.

I have tried the crossover cables in all of the RS485 jacks on the PL16 controller, same result.

Do I have my crossover cables connected correctly? Damn things didn't come with any info. I have 2 PL16 controllers, tried the RS485 jacks on both, same result.

This has been a setup from hell. Hope you can possibly shed some light.

Best,

David

Hi, when I moved the jumpers, to the DMX side; nothing worked.    CCR's are acting screwy too.  Can't wait to try my CCB's, no telling what they may do in DMX mode. Seems I remember reading a post  somewhere that said leave the jumpers alone.

As you are going from a LOR(CMB24D) to crossover cable to e1.31 device(PixLite 16) in my case.

You know, everyone makes this sound like it's going to work right out of the box.....not so in my case.

I may have to rethink this through on running the LOR stuff in DMX, it's not working for me at all!

Of course, I set up my show to do so.

Very Frustrated right now!  Thank You for taking time out of your busy setup schedule to try and help.    Sucks this time of year trying to get help.

Oh well, it is what it is.   This is the only medium we have to try and resolve issues. Most folks set their stuff up on the weekends, which is when tech support is closed! Go figure.

Love this hobby...Not!   At least not right now.

Thanks anyway,

David

Yes, the floods are fine using the dongle, I may have to revert to that, since the PL16 seems incapable of controlling them.  Arghhh!!

Best,

David

Hi Dennis. Yes, I painstakingly created a brand new channel config this year.

All my LOR stuff is set to DMX. The channel numbering is sequential to follow the DMX universe layout.

My CMB24D is in universe 1 along with 2 LOR 16ch controllers Gen 3.

My CCR's are daisychained in Universe 2.

CCR 1 ID 01

CCR2 ID 0B

CCR3 ID 15

Im using Xlights/nutcracker this year. I have all my LOR stuff before my e1.31 stuff in setup.

Tried all 4 DMX output ports on the PL16. Each time, the CMB24D had a solid read network light, but the damn LOR 10W RGB flash randomly diff. colors!

I have another PL 16 controller I was planning on running my CCB's in separate universes on those DMX ports.

Due to these issues, I havn't even been able to test those.

Really looking hard for a Plan B, but I have spen hours troubleshooting this and other issues.

As I said, been a setup from hell this year...almost nothing is working correctly!

Thanks for your time.

Best,

David

Running all my controllers in UNicast mode. Verified all my IP's are correct in the setups.

Best,

David

Edited by David Barnett

Hi Dennis, using the test tab...No I haven't been able to test any of my lights.

Creating an animation seq. I can see the light output just fine with effects. IE solid color ON to test RGB.

Not sure why the TEST mode doesn't work for me, everything else does though.

Best,

David

That could be your problem look in the manual for the CMB 24b the DMX conversion chart shows that id3 has a DMX start channel of three

Hmm, OK Dennis, I'll take a look.  Gonna fly a 3 day trip and get away from this for a while.  Then I'll come back with a refreshed outlook.

Thanks,

David

• The topic was locked