Light-O-Rama Forums

About to blow a gasket over licensing! Caution! RANT!

HowardShank

I'm about to blow a gasket over licensing, configuration and the ability to finish putting my show together this year...

So I've added RGB Pixels this year to my show... It's grown every year for 8 years in a row. Big upgrade this year with a new 360deg mega tree and 4 smaller trees... That's 7200 channels... but the tree is only 32 CCR and the small trees are only 4 CCR equivalents each.

I purchased SSS 40 CCR license because I needed the channels to configure my 32 strand mega tree and my mini trees.

I upgraded LOR to S4 PRO version because Pixel Editor is only available at the PRO license...

It loaded everything from the visualizer so nice and politely without any messages saying my visualization has XX channels or anything... It displays all the props it loaded on the screen with the exception of one that exceeded 200 points... It even plays the effects I've created without an issue. Now I get an error box in SSS about my license level not being able to handle the channels and I can't export to sequence editor or merge the Intensity Data File!

Is it right that the 40 license version can only handle 6000 channels?

Which leads me to believe the limit on the SSS 60 CCR version is 9000 channels?

If I upgrade to this am I going to run out of channels for my entire show when I upgrade to the rest of my RGB DMX lights?

Very frustrated every time I turn around I have to buy something new to do my show! Is there going to be anything over that and is it going to cost even more?

post-2801-0-81776600-1449342108_thumb.pn

Also note that the visualization props that use 131 standard LOR channels in my display count toward the channel counts!

And I have the pixels/equipment to convert my bushes, windows and eave lighting to configure for next year and those will put me over the 12000 channels...

Is there going to be a solution I hope?

If I were to guess, there will be a SuperStar license level higher than the current max of 12,000 channels some time.

I ran into the same issue this year with about 7600 channels.  However in my case it was easy since I had built the visualization based on planned expansion that did not happen this year.  I just stripped a bunch of unused channels out of the visualization and saved it as a new visualization file and was good to go.  I will need to upgrade at least to the 60 CCR (9,000 channel) license next year however.

BTW, multi-tiered licensing is not all that common for end consumer software licensing, but is VERY common in business enterprise licensing.  This is not something weird that LOR is doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jim,

Lemme see if I got this right.  I did not notice any "LIMITATION" for the advanced license.  Channels or anything like that.  UNLIMITED controllers = unlimited channels (universes, etc).  At least that is how anyone reading it would take it at first glance - AND after seeing this, I decided to go back and read it again ...

Or have I missed something.  More so b/c although I am struggling to get through this S4 LEARNING CURVE, I don't need to start thinking LIMITATIONS.

Or should I drop this thought on "the LOR chiefs" ...

Edited by LightHouse_Papa

SuperStar is an addon that is a separate purchase from the core LOR softrware.  The Advanced level license is unlimited.  Purchasing any level of LOR software does not include a license for SuperStar.  Actually the LOR software does include the SuperStar software, and you can use it for everything EXCEPT exporting a completed sequence to the Sequence Editor.  That way you can try it out before deciding to purchase a SuperStar license.

I know you addressed your question to Jim, but I see your confusion: the OP is referring to the export limitations in Superstar, not LOR channel/controller limitations.

opps, beat me to it Jim.

Edited by saxon

I don't believe there's a maximum channel count using the Pixel Editor or Sequence editor with the Pro level license.  Could use Pixel Editor plus the Sequence Editor to do what you would've done with SuperStar but that route could take more time and not really sure you'd get the same effects.  If definitely gets a little confusing when not using CCR's and figuring out how many DMX channels you have and how many CCR's that translates to.

I don't believe there's a maximum channel count using the Pixel Editor or Sequence editor with the Pro level license.  Could use Pixel Editor plus the Sequence Editor to do what you would've done with SuperStar but that route could take more time and not really sure you'd get the same effects.  If definitely gets a little confusing when not using CCR's and figuring out how many DMX channels you have and how many CCR's that translates to.

Chart from the LOR store

2 CCRs - 300 Channels

4 CCRs - 600 Channels

8 CCRs - 1200 Channels

24 CCRs - 3600 Channels

40 CCRs - 6000 Channels

60 CCRs - 9000 Channels

80 CCRs - 12000 Channels

Edited by KStatefan

You can always do what I do. 

I sequence to 3 visualizer files and then export each, and put them into the master sequence and watch it in the visualizer.

I sequence a 16 x 50, 360° pixel tree in one, a 12 x 50 flat tree in another and then everything else in the third. Up until S4 was released, I couldn't see my sequences in their entirety because of the DMX visualizer restrictions. Now that DMX strings are created in the same fashion as the CCRs. I now, can get my entire sequence in and see the whole thing. I'm about 300 channels over the 60 CCR version and have not purchased the 80 version yet.

As KStateFan says, SS is based on total channels. If your visualization is over those channel counts, you can either buy the version that will cover your amount of channels or do as I do and split up your display.

I could be wrong but, I believe that would be the only way. 

Kinda related to this thread.  Is there a display anywhere in either Visualizer, SuperStar, or SE that will tell you how many channels there are without counting or adding up all your props?

I had to do the same thing in 2014 - I ran two visualizations.  One for my pixel tree and star, and one for everything else.  So nice in S4 to be able to build pixel strings.  Next year a few more things change as I will replace the last two controllers that can't take enhanced networking, so EVERYTHING will be in one visualization and all the sequences will run from intensity files.

I want SuperStar but it is expensive for the amount of channels I have.

The licensing made sense with Cosmic Colour Devices but now so many people have E1.31 DMX it gets more complicated.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I want SuperStar but it is expensive for the amount of channels I have.

The licensing made sense with Cosmic Colour Devices but now so many people have E1.31 DMX it gets more complicated.

Brian has made using the DMX in SS far more easier now. The last update they did made things so much simpler.