Light-O-Rama Forums

Lightorama output controlling relay

Ske65088

Can I use the output from one of the channels to " turn on " an ice cube relay? The purpose of this would be to power the " constant on " items such as nativity and fm station sign? Thank you for answers

Why not put the constant on items in a animation sequence that you schedule in the background tab of the scheduler.  The background sequence will run continuously (looping) while your show is running.  This is how I control my "Tune To" sign.

Can I use the output from one of the channels to " turn on " an ice cube relay? The purpose of this would be to power the " constant on " items such as nativity and fm station sign? Thank you for answers

Yes you can.  However for lights, there is very little reason to do so unless for example your Nativity scene draws more power than a LOR channel can handle.

I have one channel that controls a relay.  It is used to control power to the two power amplifiers for the speakers in the front yard.  I wanted to make sure that the amps were not getting pulse width modulated power if I did not have the channel fully on or off.

I hadn't thought of a background sequence so that could work. But the amperage of these items is too high for 2 channels. I was hoping that I could run independent power to the relays and use power from the lightorama to control the items which would allow for a complete show even if I was not home to turn the other items on

I hadn't thought of a background sequence so that could work. But the amperage of these items is too high for 2 channels. I was hoping that I could run independent power to the relays and use power from the lightorama to control the items which would allow for a complete show even if I was not home to turn the other items on

As long as the relay is 120VAC at the coils, and you have the other lights and power wired correctly through the relay contacts it should work just fine.   You could still use an animation background sequence to control that channel as well as any others where you need any other lights on constantly during the show and don't want to go out between songs.

If you do run a background sequence, make sure you remove the background channel controlled from your other sequences. I was trying to do something similar the other  day, and was pulling my hair out trying to make it work. Thanks to a post from Jim, all is well.

Mike

I wanted to make sure that the amps were not getting pulse width modulated power if I did not have the channel fully on or off.

There is an option in the hardware utility while configuring a controller to force an individual channel to be either on or off and nowhere in between.

There is an option in the hardware utility while configuring a controller to force an individual channel to be either on or off and nowhere in between.

Ummm, where?  There is nothing about that in the help that I can find, and nothing that I can find in the hardware utility about that.  The closest is a minimum and maximum intensity, however that applies to the entire controller and does not restrict the intensity to only the minimum and maximum anyway.

In the HU, I looked at:

CMB16D with 1.34 firmware

CTB16D with 4.32 firmware

CTB08S with 4.32 firmware

ServoDog with 1.03 firmware

CCP with 1.21 firmware

Ummm, where?  There is nothing about that in the help that I can find, and nothing that I can find in the hardware utility about that.  The closest is a minimum and maximum intensity, however that applies to the entire controller and does not restrict the intensity to only the minimum and maximum anyway.

In the HU, I looked at:

CMB16D with 1.34 firmware

CTB16D with 4.32 firmware

CTB08S with 4.32 firmware

ServoDog with 1.03 firmware

CCP with 1.21 firmware

It is under Advanced Configuration for a gen 3 controller

It is under Advanced Configuration for a gen 3 controller

If you have Gen 3 controllers...

None of the controllers listed above have the Advanced configuration available.

My neighbor (who is part of our display) has inflatables, which I put on a background "always on" channel. When I added 12v RGB floodlights with a CMB16D to their yard, I had a leftover channel, so I put a relay with a 12v coil and contacts suitable for the 120v load into a box and ran it to this DC channel.