Light-O-Rama Forums

Attach Lights To Brick??

RickMosher

Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to attach strings of lights to brick without drilling holes and pushing in plastic anchors?

I've found things on the Internet like Brick Clips and Brick & Block Hooks but the prices seem outrageous to me.

It seems like there should bags of 100s of something that will fasten lights to brick similar to the bags of clips that allow you to hang lights from your roof and other things.

Any suggestions/solutions?

For one, 99% of people who decorate their home just put lights on their roof. Most of the people out there don't go crazy, like us, and put lights ALL over, let alone on the bricks!

And, some bricks are hard to clip! I can't do anything to mine...they're mortared flush. So, I think that if people do put stuff on their bricks, it'll probably be like a wreath, where they only need 1 clip.

The only other way of doing things is to make a "frame" out of wood or PVC or something...that fits into under your sofits to give you something for your lights to hold on to.

And, too, it depends on what you're trying to do. Are you trying to make a "wall" of lights on your wall" or just hang a strand?

lkcubsrule wrote:

And, too, it depends on what you're trying to do. Are you trying to make a "wall" of lights on your wall" or just hang a strand?

I just want to "outline" the front of my house... so, just strands up the corners of the house.

RickMosher wrote:

Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to attach strings of lights to brick without drilling holes and pushing in plastic anchors?

I've found things on the Internet like Brick Clips and Brick & Block Hooks but the prices seem outrageous to me.

It seems like there should bags of 100s of something that will fasten lights to brick similar to the bags of clips that allow you to hang lights from your roof and other things.

Any suggestions/solutions?

Hot Glue on the bottom of each light base. But a recomendation is to wash the brick a week before you want to start attaching.

Harirson

Richard H from Utah had a great idea. If you can put a C-Clamp on the brick with a piece of wood and then mount your lights to the wood. Actually worked out pretty well. He mounted a piece of wood to the top and bottom of his brick fireplace and ran wire up and down for the lights/snowflakes to be mounted too..

Excellent Idea.

=Evan

• 3 weeks later...

I took a piece of Nylon String (thick for string, but too small to call rope) and drove a stake at the corners, and pulled the string tight, and ran the lights on the string.

• 3 weeks later...

Texan78 wrote:

Hot glue gun works perfect and the glue peels right off at the end of the season and it is cheap.

Amen to that. We've got an outdoor fireplace on the front veranda. The fireplace is stone all the way up. I hang two of those giant red stockings (like 5' tall) on either side of the fireplace attached to the stone. I tried some Command adhesive the first year - no good. The cold got to it and it lost grip. Changed to Hot Glue. Works great. Even better the second year (and on) because the stocking already has a lump of hot glue on it that you can re-attach to. A couple of recomendations though. Use some leather gloves that you expect to reserve for hot glueing. The stuff gets all over your hands as it ends up being 'stringy' as you work with it. Also get the long sticks of glue. You don't want to be up on a ladder fiddling with inserting a new stick into the gun every couple of minutes.