Light-O-Rama Forums

Transmitter Causing havoc for TV and Computer Monitor.

NinnJinn

As the title says,  When I turn on my FM transmitter, My LED tv in the bedroom where I have the FM transmitter will have "Boxes" of the screen that freezes.

My LCD computer monitor will completely shut off when FM transmitter is on and the monitor will not come back on until the FM transmitter is turned off.

I only have one computer in the house to use for the LOR.  The Transmitter is In my bedroom window and is roughly 3ft. from my computer monitor and roughly 11ft from my bedroom tv.  Any ideas on what to do to try and correct this?  I have the headphone jack cord pretty much stretched as far as I can stretch it.

You need to relocate your FM transmitter's antenna. You can do this by moving the whole transmitter, or run a cable from the transmitter to the (new) antenna. You could, for instance, put the transmitter in the attic, and run audio and power cables from there to your bedroom.

• Like 1

You need to relocate your FM transmitter's antenna. You can do this by moving the whole transmitter, or run a cable from the transmitter to the (new) antenna. You could, for instance, put the transmitter in the attic, and run audio and power cables from there to your bedroom.

Awesome idea!!  I will try that this weekend.  Thanks!

Thats crazy. Never heard of that happening. Ya figure out what is wrong, let us know. My transmitter is right next to my computer but my Dipole is outside. No issues here.

• 4 weeks later...

This issue means that you have a very nasty transmitter, and I would go as far as to say get a new transmitter. The problem is is that your fm transmitter is pumping out lots of spurious emissions on lots of other bands and frequencies that you are most likely unaware of. This can get you in LOTS of legal trouble if it is interfering with other radio stations, or aircraft, and emergency communication frequencies. 

Read this warning about spurious emissions being emitted from cheap Chinese transmitters like HILLY and CZH

models: http://www.radiobrandy.com/HLLY.html

Some of this problem can be fixed without getting a new transmitter!

How you may ask? With one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-1500W-88-108MHz-7-pole-Low-pass-filter-LPF-for-FM-Broadcast-transmitter-/221975216911?hash=item33aec1030f:g:ycAAAOSwo3pWeADL This is what is called a Low pass filter it filters out most of the nasty stuff coming out of your transmitter.

if you want a more professional unit I suggest this one: http://broadcastconcepts.com/1500W-FM-Harmonic-Absorbing-Low-Pass-Filter.html

Keep in mind though that a low pass fm filter may only fix SOME of the problem and if your transmitter is already interfering with electronics it may be interfering with a lot more, so I still am advising for you just to get a new transmitter.

Here are some transmitters that I would recommend:

All of the transmitters in my list are FCC compliant.

1# EDM http://www.edmdesign.com/orders-1.html (KIT)

2# Wavemach Communications http://www.fmamplifiers.com/100mws_lcd.htm (Pre assembled)

3# Aareff https://www.aareff.com/en/100mw-fm-transmitter.htm (Pre assembled)

4# Ramsey http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/Synthesized-FM-Stereo-Transmitter-Kit/dp/B0002NRIM8? class=quickView&field_availability=-1&field_browse=6290123011&id=Synthesized+FM+Stereo+Transmitter+Kit&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Cprice&searchNodeID=6290123011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12 (KIT)

Keep in mind that a lot of these transmitters are far more expensive that what ever cheap junk can be found on eBay, but you get what you pay for, and the audio quality out of these units are stunning!

Hope this helps!

Also may I ask what transmitter brand and model you are using?

Edited by canadianchristmas

I am going to buy a transmitter for next year.

Here in the UK it is completely illegal to broadcast music publically without a licence and advertise the frequency.

I saw a display here that got much more popular with an FM transmitter, and they just used one designed for phones in cars.

I think I will get the worst cheapest one ever, because I hope the really bad chinese ones have not been affected by the recent regulations of those devices. But I don't want problems like this. 

What should I get?

I would post that question in the UK threads if you can find them.   I saw a place one time that was mostly based with people in the UK but sorry I do not remember where it was or on what site it was on.. 

You will probably get a lot of responses from some LOR users from the States, Canada, Australia, But remember... the Laws and the enforcement of those laws in those countries and or states vary to not enforced. to you better watch out..

Its best to stay safe and find answers to your question from users and music players in your own country or location.

remeber to that transmitters vary a lot in the operation... what is cheap my be the one that gets you caught the quickest as it isnt as dependable or the signal isnt as close as a more expensive one may be.. 

I am going to buy a transmitter for next year.

Here in the UK it is completely illegal to broadcast music publically without a licence and advertise the frequency.

I saw a display here that got much more popular with an FM transmitter, and they just used one designed for phones in cars.

I think I will get the worst cheapest one ever, because I hope the really bad chinese ones have not been affected by the recent regulations of those devices. But I don't want problems like this. 

What should I get?

I would recommend any transmitters on my list provided above, you are in the UK though so I would go with Aareff, they are a fm transmitter company based in the UK and you can email them any questions you have about uk laws involving fm transmitters. 

I WOULD NEVER go with a cheap Chinese transmitter as that will only get you in very big trouble!!!! I have talked about the risks above, and if you are still not sure read my full post above. I do hobby fm and online brodcast as my second hobby so I know what Im talking about (Somewhat  :D)

Aareff https://www.aareff.com/en/100mw-fm-transmitter.htm And remember you get what you pay for with a transmitter.

Edited by canadianchristmas

In the UK, unlicensed transmissions in the FM radio band (87.5 to 108Mhz) have to comply with IR2030/26/2 and the maximum transmitted power allowed is 50nW e.r.p. This is radiated power including any gain from the antenna. For info, 50nW is 0.00000005 Watts, which is way below most of the FM transmitters advertised on the internet.

Regards,

Alan.

Edited by Alan C

I have this one.. Works great.

http://www.amazon.com/0-5-Fail-Safe-Long-Range-Transmitter/dp/B003FO4UHW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452231269&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=rangestar+fm+transmitter+for+home

I have it setting on top of my computer tower next to my monitor and no interference at all.

Be sure if you get this one to use it on LOW power and to make sure you have the antenna connected before powering it up.

If you dont you will burn it out.

Very easy to set up... took about 5 minutes and that is unpacking, reading directions and setting it up. It does have low and High power.. read the instructions.

DO NOT ORDER THE ATTENTUATOR LISTED WITH IT>> THEY DO NOT FIT THE ANTENNA CONNECTION...

Edited by Old Sarge

In the UK, unlicensed transmissions in the FM radio band (87.5 to 108Mhz) have to comply with IR2030/26/2 and the maximum transmitted power allowed is 50nW e.r.p. This is radiated power including any gain from the antenna. For info, 50nW is 0.00000005 Watts, which is way below most of the FM transmitters advertised on the internet.

Regards,

Alan.

I have a small radio next to me what goes to 109Mhz. Can I use this frequency and have a transmitter as powerful as I like?

I have a small radio next to me what goes to 109Mhz. Can I use this frequency and have a transmitter as powerful as I like?

There are different regulations that apply to different frequency bands. You may be able to use a more powerful transmitter on 109MHz, but your power will still be limited by a regulation. You will have to do some research to find the regulation that applies to that frequency.

But if you desire to reach visitors from their automobile radios, choosing a frequency outside the normal range would mean that some of your visitors wouldn't be able to listen.