Light-O-Rama Forums

Staying within the Lines?

SparkDr

I have a very nice shared sequence of Uptown Funk courtesy of James Morris (Thank you, kind sir!).  I also have a 16 ribbon pixel tree running through a PixLite 16 controller.  Brian and the gang over at SuperStarLights.com have a 16 ribbon sequence of the same song for purchase.  Here's my dilemma.  I know it is beyond my abilities to cut, paste, copy, merge or whatever the proper term may be to be able to combine these 2 sequences and layout my universe correctly.  I emailed Brian and asked about having it done as an up-charge to the sequence purchase and he replied very kindly with a long of instructions for me to be able to do it myself.  I'll be honest, my eyes crossed and rolled into the top of my head before reaching the 3rd or 4th line of instruction.  Some people can do this sort of stuff.  I, on the other hand, appear destined to hire others to overcome my inabilities.  So, the big question now becomes "Can I hire this out without infringing on SuperStarLights rights to their produced material and or jeopardizing my ability to use the material?".  As best I can figure, I would have to buy the sequence (which I would willingly do) and send it along with the existing sequence to a 3rd party to be combined.  Am I thinking along the right lines?  Am I able to stay within the boundaries of fair play by trying to make this happen?  If not, any other options or suggestions?  As far as I'm concerned, there is no gray area here.  I want to do things the "right" way for all parties.

Off hand, as long as you legitimately have the sequences (purchased or otherwise), I don't see any problem with having someone else glue two of them together.  However I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't stay as a Holiday Inn Express last night.  I'm also not the one who wrote the purchased sequence (Brian in this case).  I would assume that the person hired would NOT get any rights to Brian's work (including for their own purposes), nor could he or she give or sell that work to someone else.  I would ask Brian.  He's pretty easy to get along with.

Melding two sequences for the same song that use different channels is not that hard.  That's sort of what I'm doing this afternoon.  I'm taking Brian's Wizards In Winter and tweeking my other couple thousand channels around it.  The song has been in my show since I opened, but I knew at the time that I needed to do a bit of finishing of my part.

Thanks for the input, Jim. I'm almost embarassed to call Brian and admit my inabilities directly, but it's probably the best way to make sure I proceed with a clear conscience. Of course, it's all a moot point if I can't find someone to actually merge to sequences. Just another step in the process, I guess.