Light-O-Rama Forums

Just told the tacky light tour to shove it.

EvilM0nkey

I submitted my pictures for the list this year and I got rejected even though I have more channels and more lights. I don't have the same "density" of lights that I had last year.

Oh course I don't! It's a different house with a bigger yard!

:rolleyes:

I don't think I need their help anyway. I live on a great street that will get a lot of traffic. I can just use the social media I already have. I don't have the desire to deal with their stress anyway.

I think Richmond.com has forgotten why the list exists to begin with. It had nothing to do with them...

No real comment or question. Just venting... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I submitted my pictures for the list this year and I got rejected even though I have more channels and more lights. I don't have the same "density" of lights that I had last year.

Oh course I don't! It's a different house with a bigger yard!

:rolleyes:

I don't think I need their help anyway. I live on a great street that will get a lot of traffic. I can just use the social media I already have. I don't have the desire to deal with their stress anyway.

I think Richmond.com has forgotten why the list exists to begin with. It had nothing to do with them...

No real comment or question. Just venting... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

We have the same problem with a person here in California. They pick what they like to have on their site.

Interesting, I've never had any issue with them and we only have 20K lights (which I believe is the minimum). Maybe it has something to do with the density of displays in the area. There's not many around us.

They keep hounding me to update my display profile this year and I haven't bothered. I think we've gotten one viewer through them that we know of...

Interesting, I've never had any issue with them and we only have 20K lights (which I believe is the minimum). Maybe it has something to do with the density of displays in the area. There's not many around us.

They keep hounding me to update my display profile this year and I haven't bothered. I think we've gotten one viewer through them that we know of...

its actual Tacky Tour Richmond

I didn't tell them to shove it, but I did get an e-mail a year or was it 2 now?  Can't recall but the Christmas Great Light Fight had e-mailed me if I wanted to "showcase" my display on their show.   I politely said, no thank you.  I just don't feel my display really is one that should be on the show, it's very small, compact, just felt it really was worthy of such "prestige", and aside from all that, I just didn't want the publicity either!

We dont have a site that has a list here, but we have a lighting contest every year. I however have been told that i can not be in the contest because i am not a static display. However i found out through a friend who knows the people that run it. One of the people who wins almost every year had me black balled out of fear that judges would like my display better. I guess being a big name in the community comes with perks.

I didn't tell them to shove it, but I did get an e-mail a year or was it 2 now?  Can't recall but the Christmas Great Light Fight had e-mailed me if I wanted to "showcase" my display on their show.   I politely said, no thank you.  I just don't feel my display really is one that should be on the show, it's very small, compact, just felt it really was worthy of such "prestige", and aside from all that, I just didn't want the publicity either!

I am sure they asked you, they have never asked anybody yet, but you they asked, right.............................

Eh, don't worry about it. I have to ask - do you meet the 40k requirement? Just looking at your FB page pics of this year, the "lack of density" makes it look like less... Maybe that's what they see? It's still very pretty, and I can't even tell what the sequencing looks like because they're just stills. I'm sure that adds a lot of "WOW!" to it.

In any case, don't worry about it, people will still see it and enjoy it. Keep growing! 

-Signed, someone just too far outside of Richmond to be on the tour. 

Edited by Stephen Blue

I am sure they asked you, they have never asked anybody yet, but you they asked, right.............................

Like said, that was a year or 2 ago.  But yes, they did send me an e-mail, yes, they certainly did.   And I wasn't the only one, not sure if that thread still exists here, but many of us got that e-mail here on the LOR forums and we talked about getting their e-mail asking to be on the show.

Well the difference is that I was invited to the tour with a lesser show. They know I have upgraded the show and added more channels/ lights. She was told the display wasn't done either.

I don't know if I have 40,000 lights or not, I don't count anymore. I told her the same last year as well and I was fine. I'm not going to lie like some of the other displays do. I assume I'm somewhere +/- 40K but I would just be guessing. I know I added a few thousand this year. I'm just doing it for fun. Not to make some newspaper editor happy.

They said they are going to "send someone to check it out before I can be re added" :rolleyes:

Meanwhile in my first hours of being off of the tour, I had no less than 10 people stop and watch while I was out adding more lights. So at this point I can take it or leave it. I'm not going to beg or even ask to be back on (I never asked in the 1st place). If she had been a little less sassy about it the situation might be different. But I won't be talked down to about something I would be doing for her job's benefit. I would consider another invitation if it came with a sincere apology. But I'm not really inclined to come back and I told her that.

Eh, don't worry about it. I have to ask - do you meet the 40k requirement? Just looking at your FB page pics of this year, the "lack of density" makes it look like less... Maybe that's what they see? It's still very pretty, and I can't even tell what the sequencing looks like because they're just stills. I'm sure that adds a lot of "WOW!" to it.

In any case, don't worry about it, people will still see it and enjoy it. Keep growing! 

-Signed, someone just too far outside of Richmond to be on the tour. 

Those 50W RGB floods add a heck of a lot. I'm so happy with my setup this year. I feel like I've finally come above the novice level. :D

I have a friend that wants to get video with his drone over my show this weekend. I also have a brand new sequence I'll be finishing that I'm going to enter into the LOR contest (1st time). So between those two I actually feel like I have a chance at it.

I have spoken to Colleen many times about the 40k requirement. While I am right at the minimum give or take, I am actually doing more with less physical lights each year. For instance, last year I had 1600 lights on a oak tree in front of the house, this year I put 600 pixels on it. While I did use the 1600 lights somewhere else, what I put on that tree is significantly less (i does look really nice though). 

You need to understand that she takes a lot of crap from people that let their egos get the best of them. I know I have had people challenge my light count though I know EXACTLY how many lights I have, and when looking at their display, I struggle to see 20k. 

Make sure you're on the channel 12 list and you'll be fine. I found out that too much publicity can be a scary thing. I had 12 come out and interview us, and it got crazy that year after the interview. Kids running all around the cul de sac, it terrified me thinking someone would get hurt out there. 

Keep on doing what your doing, and don't sweat it. You'll get tons of reminders if you talk to folks that stop by showing you how much they appreciate your hard work.

Regards,

BillyT

I am confused.  Is the tacky light tour a nation wide thing? I assumed it was a Richmond VA thing.

Edited by KStatefan

I have spoken to Colleen many times about the 40k requirement. While I am right at the minimum give or take, I am actually doing more with less physical lights each year. For instance, last year I had 1600 lights on a oak tree in front of the house, this year I put 600 pixels on it. While I did use the 1600 lights somewhere else, what I put on that tree is significantly less (i does look really nice though). 

You need to understand that she takes a lot of crap from people that let their egos get the best of them. I know I have had people challenge my light count though I know EXACTLY how many lights I have, and when looking at their display, I struggle to see 20k. 

Make sure you're on the channel 12 list and you'll be fine. I found out that too much publicity can be a scary thing. I had 12 come out and interview us, and it got crazy that year after the interview. Kids running all around the cul de sac, it terrified me thinking someone would get hurt out there. 

Keep on doing what your doing, and don't sweat it. You'll get tons of reminders if you talk to folks that stop by showing you how much they appreciate your hard work.

Regards,

BillyT

I'm not worried about her. I'm 99% not going back anyway. All they are worried about is the arbitrary look. Not the number.

And you're right, it burns me up that other displays on the tour fall desperately below 40K and there they're on the list yearly.

I hadn't thought about the channel 12 list. Although 50K lights is pushing it for me.

I didn't have any real problems last year. I had people dancing out in the street and a few idiots coming up and taking pictures with my inflatables.

I am confused.  Is the tacky light tour a nation wide thing? I assumed it was a Richmond VA thing.

This tour is a Richmond thing. But there is also a website called Tackylighttour.com that is worldwide as far as I know. It doesn't do much, but it doesn't hurt.

Edited by EvilM0nkey

We have the same problem with a person here in California. They pick what they like to have on their site.

Which CA site is that? I'm in San Jose.

Mike