Light-O-Rama Forums

G3-MP3 Show Director problem

Andy Anderson

I am using the G3-MP3 show director.  I successfully used it last year with my 12 CCR tree plus star, arches & mini trees.  I think I had the CCRs on net 1 and the other stuff on net 2.  I decided to upgrade the tree this year to a 16 CCR tree.  I can get all the CCRs to work with 12 on net 1 and 4 on net 2.  I have the other devices on net 2.  I have the outputs configured at 500K.  The star will work with one song and not the other.  I can not get the arches and mini trees to work at all. I have tried various combinations by moving around where things are connected. I am using purchased sequences that come with the CCRs and the star programed.  I have added the arches and mini trees to the sequence.  The light on the LOR boxes controlling the other stuff is on solid so I know they are connected.  I tried one of the sequences from last year and it worked with the CCRs, arches & mini trees.  I am sure I am doing something wrong.  My question is how should all this be set up?

16 Channel LOR Controllers will not work at the 500K speed.

I have NET1 operating at the lower speed and Net2 at the 500K speed.

To correct that, G3 controllers will work at 500k speed and on enhanced protocol networks. Most older controllers require a firmware update. Gen 1 & 2 controllers CAN NOT be upgraded to 500k or enhanced protocol.

16 Channel LOR Controllers will not work at the 500K speed.

I have NET1 operating at the lower speed and Net2 at the 500K speed.

That did not work.  I lost the CCRs on that net.

To correct that, G3 controllers will work at 500k speed and on enhanced protocol networks. Most older controllers require a firmware update. Gen 1 & 2 controllers CAN NOT be upgraded to 500k or enhanced protocol.

How do I tell what Gen controller I have?  Is that something the Hardware Utilitly will tell me?  My controllers are several years old.

I can see that I don't have a G3 controller.  I have a 1602W controller at firmware ver 4.01.  Looking at the LOR web site for firmware and I don't see anything listed for the 1602W.  But then again I may not be looking correctly either.

Did you try all 16 ccrs on Aux A? (Net 2) ?....then all your regular Lor controllers at 56.7 speed on Net 1? Did you update the firmware on all the ccr stuff? Also update the firmware on the mp3 too.

Last year I had 12 ccrs, & 3 ccp controllers on Aux A  The one ccp controller running the arches (I believe = 2 ccrs) The other two ccp controllers were on steady.

Edited by lightzilla

How do I tell what Gen controller I have?  Is that something the Hardware Utilitly will tell me?  My controllers are several years old.

If the status LED is green it's Gen 3.  If it's red, it's Gen 1 or Gen 2.  This applies to the 16 channel AC controllers.  All Color Cosmic devices will accept 500K and enhanced networking - although anything over a year old will require a firmware update.  24 channel DC controllers are Gen 3.  16 channel DC controllers require a firmware update.

When you set your show in the scheduler, configure all ports (net 1 and net 2) for the low speed... around 58K.  Don't select the 500K speed.  I believe the CCR and CCB devices will work at the lower speed.

Did you try all 16 ccrs on Aux A? (Net 2) ?....then all your regular Lor controllers at 56.7 speed on Net 1? Did you update the firmware on all the ccr stuff? Also update the firmware on the mp3 too.

Last year I had 12 ccrs, & 3 ccp controllers on Aux A  The one ccp controller running the arches (I believe = 2 ccrs) The other two ccp controllers were on steady.

Yes, when I first set it up I had all 16 ccrs on net 1(56.7) and 3 LOR controllers on net 2 (500.  Only the first 12 ccrs would work.  I switched the ccrs to net 2 (500) and the LOR controllers to net 1 (56.7) and only the last 4 ccrs would work.  No, I did not check the firmware levels on the ccrs. I have tried so many different things I may need to just go back and start over again.  May not happen until Wednesday when the rain stops.  So far the only way all 16 ccrs will work is to have them split between the two networks. 

When you set your show in the scheduler, configure all ports (net 1 and net 2) for the low speed... around 58K.  Don't select the 500K speed.  I believe the CCR and CCB devices will work at the lower speed.

I will try that when the rain quits.

If the status LED is green it's Gen 3.  If it's red, it's Gen 1 or Gen 2.  This applies to the 16 channel AC controllers.  All Color Cosmic devices will accept 500K and enhanced networking - although anything over a year old will require a firmware update.  24 channel DC controllers are Gen 3.  16 channel DC controllers require a firmware update.

I have the red status light.  I looked on the LOR website and did not see any firmware update for the 1602W.  My controllers are all at least 3 or 4 years old and some older.

I have the red status light.  I looked on the LOR website and did not see any firmware update for the 1602W.  My controllers are all at least 3 or 4 years old and some older.

Then you are out of luck for 500K or enhanced protocol.  The vast majority of my display is either 16 channel DC control cards or E1.31, but I have 11 channels on a CTB-16PC and 1 on a CTB08 - neither of which will handle the new formats and speeds.  I am planning on replacing both next spring because I want to be able to sequence everything in SuperStar Editor or Pixel Editor (more likely SSE) and output as an intensity file.  I have one song this year that uses an intensity file and there are lots of advantages to it, so for next year I want everything that way.

• Like 1

Then you are out of luck for 500K or enhanced protocol.  The vast majority of my display is either 16 channel DC control cards or E1.31, but I have 11 channels on a CTB-16PC and 1 on a CTB08 - neither of which will handle the new formats and speeds.  I am planning on replacing both next spring because I want to be able to sequence everything in SuperStar Editor or Pixel Editor (more likely SSE) and output as an intensity file.  I have one song this year that uses an intensity file and there are lots of advantages to it, so for next year I want everything that way.

I have pretty much come to that conclusion.  Supposed to quit raining by Wednesday and I am planning on going back to the 12 ccr tree so that the other things will work.

​Could you try 14 ccrs? The reason I am asking that is because like I mentioned up above that I had 12 ccrs & 1 ccp controller with two strings equals two ccrs for arches. So maybe 14 ccrs is tops.

Edited by lightzilla

I can not get more than 12 CCRs to work on a network.  It appears that my purchased sequences were set up for 12 on net 1 and 4 on net 2.

Having a few of the CCR's on the second network should still work.  Just run that network at a slower speed than the network that has the bulk of them.  

But you certainly should be able to get 16 CCR's on a single network.  My show is set up with 2 CCR's and all my regular controllers on the main network, plugged into port 1 on the G3-MP3 and running at 56K.  I then have 16 CCB's on the second network, running at 500K.  The show performs flawlessly.  

Unfortunately my purchased sequences came with 12 on net 1 and 4 on net 2 so I have to have them split.  There are some other threads on the G3-MP3 that recommend having the CCRs split between 2 nets so that you don't get any lag.  For now I am just going to go with a 12 CCR tree and probably make some upgrades on LOR controllers for next year.