Light-O-Rama Forums
aesl1982

Transmitter not going far

Went ahead and ordered the czh one. Ramsey be for sale

If that's the 15 watt unit, then you DO have to be careful about the antenna you use. I believe that the instructions are clear about that. The higher power transmitters need to have a well matched antenna to avoid damage. The lower powered transmitters <1 watt aren't as picky about the antenna. However a properly matched antenna for the frequency you are transmitting on will help even a low powered transmitter.

Mike

Remember too that I think we're limited by the FCC to 0.5mw or some small value...mw or w. 

Remember too that I think we're limited by the FCC to 0.5mw or some small value...mw or w. 

True, but you're really only gonna get busted if someone complains. So, the best thing you can do is make 100% sure that you're broadcasting on a clear frequency. The FCC limit is an effective service range of about 200 ft. That is definitely in the mw category.

Mike

I agree. I think my EDM goes about a block or so at the most. 

I'm struggling with my whole house transmitter. I got the one lightorama sells but halfway down the driveway it dies and forget about the street. We've got it in the garage where we've got the computer and lightorama controller. But I don't know if we're doing something wrong. Any ideas? We want to be able to put a sign outside and the fm station so that it wont drive the neighbors insane with the show on repeat every half hour (we run it only from 6pm to 10 weekdays and to 11pm on weekends).

I know it is recommended to put your FM Transmitter in the middle of your display so that it will "evenly" spread the signal in all directions, but how easy can we really do this, in reality? Not very. I have mine balanced on my computer/controllers that are mounted to the wall of the garage. Works alright to me. I personally don't want people to hear from too far away and not be able to tell where the music is coming from. I live 2 houses from the main entrance to my neighborhood and you can hear it pretty well as you drive in. I don't mind my transmitter... It's pretty good. The other thing is the frequency you use.

The higher the frequency, the better range and sound quality. Now... you can't broadcast over signals already being used, legally, so... be mindful when adjusting. Just use your car radio to figure out what local station listings are and what ones you can use.

I had a problem with the range of my transmitter also.  It happens to be the same one you are purchasing from amazon.  When I first got the transmitter, I tested it and had very good range - around 500-600 yards on low power.  This was on a channel 101.9.  After I started this seasons show, I was getting interference on that channel.  I retuned to a secondary, 101.3, but the signal was weak and breaking up at the sidewalk.  In the street in front of the house the signal was very weak.  I retuned again to 90.1 and have a great signal for about 200 yards.  More than enough to cover the cul-de-sac.

Like Steven, I made my own external antenna that is in the attic.  I based it on the Ramsey Antenna.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/Tru-Match-FM-Broadcast-Antenna-Kit/dp/B0002OERGC?field_availability=-1&field_browse=6313908011&id=Tru-Match+FM+Broadcast+Antenna+Kit&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Cprice&searchNodeID=6313908011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

I is a very simple vertical Di-Pole inside of the PVC pipe

Here is the assembly Guide:

https://sourcefmtransmitter.com/wp-content/uploads/TM100-manual.pdf

You do not need to use the twin lead wire if you don't have it, plain old 18awg. wire works fine  For the baylun (matching transformer) I used one

from an old TV antenna system.  I spent less than $10 building it.  

With the Ramsey FM25B, I can get 1/2 mile at night at full power (25mw).  

With my Eclipse 4000 500mw at full power it goes 5 miles, (i only tested this once to see).

The key is now that I have a good antenna, I can dial the power output back to cover the display, but get a clear signal.