Light-O-Rama Forums

Cosmic Color Flood help and guidance needed

pslouden

I could use some serious help with 4 new cosmic color floods I just bought and installed. I've always had three 16 channel controllers on COMM 3. They have always been Unit 1,2,3.

Today I connected the four floods and when I go to search for them in the hardware utility, it finds maybe two controllers, one unidentified device. Or another time, it finds two controllers and one flood. (missing the first controller and three other floods)

Additionally, I can't find the floods in the sequence editor to turn them off. They currently turn on during the first three channels of my first controller box. Please help, I'm seriously overwhelmed here... 

HWU may be getting confused because the new controllers have the same unit as another.   Plug in just one at a time for bit and set the unit numbers in HWU. 

Are you talking about the 50Watt RGB flood?   If so each has its own controller inside.   That is four new unit IDs to set.

Hello yes I am talking about the 50 Watt RGB Floods. Do I need to start at light controller 1, then plug in controller 2, controller 3, then start plugging in the 4 floods? Not sure how to set them up in HWU. 

Next question is once this is set how do I get the floods to show up in sequence editor??

You need to hook them up individually one at a time and assign them unit ID's. If you're using 1,2,3 already then use 4,5,6,7 for each flood. It doesn't matter what order they are plugged into the network, each unit ID is only an address that the data commands for the light show get sent to. Refer to pg 8 of the user manual http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/CF50D_UF50D_UserMan_Web.pdf

Thank you guys so much you've been awesome. Here's my update and next questions. 

​Took a while but I plugged all 7 units in one by one via USB485 connector (3 -16 channel panels and 4 flood lights). Everything was recognized except one flood light showed up as unknown. However, I was still able to set that flood ID and it worked out perfectly. 

​All the unit ID's are holding. The floods tested well in Channels 1-3 for RGB but I couldn't get anything for strobe for 4-5 (probably not doing something right). 

​OK so here is my next question, now that I have added 5 channels (is this correct?) for each flood and set the ID's up in channel config, I should be set fort sequencing. 

​In sequencing, how do I make custom colors other than RGB in the sequence editor? And how do I use the strobe effect? Will it only strobe in the color I set or can I have it strobe in regular strobe color? After that I should be all set. Thank you so much for the help so far you're a life saver. 

• Like 1

I haven't played with the 50w yet but the way I create custom colors with rgb is use the color fade option/choose color/pick a color I like/copy color to both sides of the bar and then draw the desired length into my sequence. I'm sure there's a better way but that's how I do it...

I added one of the 50 Watt RGB Floods this year also.  I've had some issues with it in my Yule display.  My Hardware Utility on the laptop I use for running my shows showed 'Unknown Device' but did locate the controller.  I brought it inside and connected it to my main computer (the one I do sequencing) and it recognized it as the RGB Flood.  I noticed the version I was using on my main computer was newer than that on my laptop.  I updated the version on my laptop and now it recognizes it just fine.

However, I was having trouble with the flood not working during some of the songs in my show.  Seemed to be random and was very frustrating.  I tried using it on my high speed network (according to the manual it should work there) but it did not respond to the sequences at all.  I re-configured it to my 'Regular' network and now it seems to work fine.  The one thing I changed is that its now the second controller in my Regular network.  Previously it was either the third or fourth.  Perhaps its more sensitive to the network signal strength.

• The topic was locked