Light-O-Rama Forums

Video Display How To

Robin

I know Ken Good has a site but the thing just does not seem to work.

Reason I am asking is that a 46' rear projection screen fell into my lap today and I am thinking about doing something with it. So any help (pictures) would be great.
Thanks

Robin wrote:

I know Ken Good has a site but the thing just does not seem to work.

Reason I am asking is that a 46' rear projection screen fell into my lap today and I am thinking about doing something with it. So any help (pictures) would be great.
Thanks

I don't know about Ken Good but I would suggest you remove the rear projector from your lap. Sorry no pics.

well need to get a video card with the jacks.
But need a projector too right
also do i use my show laptop to do the video when the show is going on
how do I make a video cable that long

Depending on the length and the type of output cables can be made or bought.

SVideo cables can usually make it 50'-75' with no loss of quality.
Component cables can run over 100' with no problems
and DMI/HDMI cables can be over 500' in length.

A standard RGB/Monitor cable can run about 30' without any issues.

The same computer that runs the LOR show also runs the video. In simple terms all that is changing is you are using a video file instead of a WAV file in LOR.

Is this a Screen only? if so what I do is run a DVI cable (most newer video cards have DVI out, which is true digital for a better quality picture) from my computer to my Projector that sits in the next room aiming out the window. that way I keep my projector safe and protected. I aim it out the window to a screen set up in the yard at the distance it needs to be for the size. I would think with a 46" screen you are probably looking at a distance of about 8 feet or so. Most projectors will have a zoom so you can fine tune the distance.

Depending on actual video you will be projecting will determine the quality of the projector. Animations, music videos, photo shows, or text. I decided to get a hig-end projector that would also double in my home theater system. (only problem is I have to use my plasma screen for my HT during the LOR shows and not the projector) I use a little of everything and use the video to also do short commercials about my website and radio station. as will as some public anouncements that the Demented Elf made up for me. I have a few videos of the video screen on my youtube page coloxmas.

PM me with any questions that you might have, I'll help you out with what I can. I have been using the video now for 2 years with LOR, and for several years on other outdoor presentations/halloween shows ect. This set up also makes a great summer drive-in for parties in the back yard...:cool: